Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 10:40 AM

1,885 posts, read 2,108,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
ok, so I know that there are a ton of tips and opinions to get the cheapest fares for all types of flights. But do these tips also apply to Business or First classes? Are there better times to buy those tickets? Or, shall I resign myself to paying an arm and a leg (as opposed to an arm and a leg minus 10%)?
Generalizing is impossible. Yes, discounted premium cabin tickets are out there, but it's all in the details.

For example, transatlantic business class is often discounted for mid-summer travel (ironic in that economy tickets are usually at their peak at the same time.) The reason is that actual "business" travel tends to fall off during the summer months. And you can often find that fares originating in Europe for travel to North America are cheaper than those originating in North America.

For South America, you can often find discounted tickets in the spring and autumn, which of course are reversed for "deep" South America. Discounted premium travel from North America to Asia is less predictable, but deals do come up.

Generally discounted premium fares appear in various specific fare buckets, such as "I" or "Z" (depending on the airline's categories) and have typical advance-purchase, stopover, and change/cancellation penalties.

You might want to subscribe to this thread on Flyertalk - Premium Fare Deals - FlyerTalk Forums - to hear about good fares the minute they appear.

Finally, not everyone's cuppa, but you can consider an approach I use sometimes. Often you can buy frequent flyer miles from the airlines for around 2-3c per mile, sometimes even less.

Say you need to fly one way to Europe, where you'll be joining a cruise back across the Atlantic (many cruise ships do this in the fall, back in the spring.) Business class requires 50,000 American Airlines miles for one way. So this month (ends tomorrow night) there's a bonus offer through which you can buy 50K AA miles for around $1100 after taxes. Turn around and redeem them for a business class flight. Or buy 110,000 miles for around $2100 and a round trip. Pretty cheap for business class. Of course you might have to be flexible on your travel dates, but it's a proven tactic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 11:26 AM

530 posts, read 366,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Emirates airlines often has 2 for 1 specials and business and first classes are included. Right now they are featuring a sale on business class fares to India
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Right now they are featuring a sale on business class fares to India

As does Air India ; you only need to bookbeforehand a tourist class ticket and be upgraded business class (in certain airports only ) for 500 $-which is a bargain : the hitch (because of course there is one ), it's only during low season, ie in summer when they need to fill up their planes...
Mind sharing the links or letting me know how to sign up for these emails?

Old 04-29-2015, 11:50 AM

2,213 posts, read 1,870,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramaka View Post
Mind sharing the links or letting me know how to sign up for these emails?
Emirate's current business class deal

To sign up for Emirate's travel deals

The points guy is also a good site to not only find out about deals but they also let you know how to maximize your points and take advantage of offers to be able to fly business or first class

Old 04-30-2015, 05:23 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,951,858 times
@ ramaka : connect on the Air India website!

Old 04-30-2015, 06:37 AM

2,547 posts, read 3,768,667 times
Just so you know, not all premium cabins offer the same quality of service, not to mention onboard amenities. Of the two airlines mentioned above, Emirates and Air India, I would take Emirates any day, even if I have to pay more. Also, not all lie flat seats are truly lie flat seats. Their sizes also vary. So, do your research before you spend your money.

I find United Airlines' business class seats to be the most pitiful, although they do lie flat. I'm talking about their international business class, not domestic. But, I can't complain since it was a free flight through FF miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel