Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 05:52 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,842,731 times

Advertisements

So I am going to Greece this end of May and have 3 nights/4 days in Santorini and 2 nights/3 days in Mykonos. Besides appreciating the jaw dropping beauty of the place and the great cuisine what other activities are there to do? I hear Mykonos is quite the party place. I am not that much into the party scene though.

Is visiting Delos from Mykonos for half a day worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 06:01 PM

11,836 posts, read 12,111,396 times
I am so jealous! Did a cruise last September and spent about 8 hours in each island. A great opportunity but not long enough!

With only 8 hours, it wasn't worth ii to give up time to go to Delos but with three days, I'd consider it. Even though you're not cruising, the cruise critic website has a whole section on various cruise ports and what to see while you're there. That might be a good place to start.

We didn't do tours on either of the islands. In Santorini, we hiked from Fira to Oia, which I loved, just hiking along, soaking in the views, a sense of "being" on the island. At least with more time you have the luxury of many options or none. We passed some spectacular hotels along the hiking trail. We weren't there for sunset, but I know that can't be beat. Sunrise was lovely as we pulled into port, but doesn't remotely compare to sunset. Enjoy!

Old 03-15-2015, 01:15 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,553,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
So I am going to Greece this end of May and have 3 nights/4 days in Santorini and 2 nights/3 days in Mykonos. Besides appreciating the jaw dropping beauty of the place and the great cuisine what other activities are there to do? I hear Mykonos is quite the party place. I am not that much into the party scene though.

Yes, go to Delos. It's so close and well worth half a day. Mykonos can be a party place, but doesn't have to be. End of May it will still be relatively calm. Are you traveling to Santorini by boat? Nothing more beautiful than the approach to Santorini by sea. Just gorgeous.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,211,571 times
That seems like a lot of time devoted to those two areas unless you want to spend about half your time laying in the sun.

I agree with the above poster to visit Oia. If you don't want to hike it (it will be HOT when you go) you can take the public bus for a couple dollars each way.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:34 PM

@TXNGL - I am actually flying in to Santorini from Athens but departing from Santorini to Mykonos by ferry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
We didn't do tours on either of the islands. In Santorini, we hiked from Fira to Oia, which I loved, just hiking along, soaking in the views, a sense of "being" on the island.
Awesome! thanks. I was planning to do this hike as well. I am staying in Firostefani actually which is a 10 minute walk north of Fira

Old 03-16-2015, 09:44 PM

Mykonos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N7jYNePVC4

I think I am way too old for this lmao! I should've come here 15 years ago!

On a positive note, I have booked scuba dives at Lia Beach which is on the far eastern side of the island! should be fun.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:22 PM

3,176 posts, read 2,741,931 times
Quote:

We "backpacked" into Santorini via ferry from Naxos during the low season (October). I think we stayed 2-3 days. Sunsets are amazing, whether from the caldera rim or from the shore on the northern tip of the island. Food is so-so, but that's the off season. Places with great views and amazing patios tend to have crap food. Just get a drink and hang out.

Rent a car and tool around the island for a day, there are some great hidden swimming beaches, but you need to drive to the trailhead to reach them in a reasonable amount of time.

There are about a million stray dogs. If they get too friendly or aggressive, make a motion like you are going to throw a stone at them and they will scatter.

Your travel plans may be interrupted by storms. Gales will shut down the ferry for a day or so, and make everything kind of bleh and very very windy. Find a good place to hole up if this happens.

Other than that, just walk around the various towns.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:38 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,553,949 times
Quote:
@TXNGL - I am actually flying in to Santorini from Athens but departing from Santorini to Mykonos by ferry!

Awesome! thanks. I was planning to do this hike as well. I am staying in Firostefani actually which is a 10 minute walk north of Fira
OK, when departing Santorini look back. LOL. It's really something to see from the water.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:54 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,977,845 times
Delos is well worth the visit. But take a guided tour to get the most out of it. Mykonos town is nice and fun. Good shops and restaurants and quite a night life. The best beaches are on the other side of the island. Take a bus over to Platos Yallos (spelling?) for a lovely beach (cost 2 Euros). I believe you can get a boat from there for other beaches. Not all the beaches are 'family' ones.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:09 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,991,231 times
Santorini is pretty cool. You can reach that easily via public ferries from the Athens port. Santorini has of course the amazing cliff view with your choice of villas to stay at. The beaches are kind of lousy, but it's fun to motor around the island for a few days and it's varied enough with history, architecture, and views - you can rent a scooter or small car. The ancient greek ruins they have there are amazing and a must see. Beaches are kind of lousy. 3 or 4 days there is about right, no more, then you will be ready to move on.
Never been to Mykonos but heard it is a party island in some seasons. There you have young Europeans there basically to consume cheap beer and get sun burns, they otherwise have no interest in culture or sight seeing - if Daytona Beach during spring break does not appeal to you, best avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel