Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 04:12 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,393 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Would any one recommend a type of sleeping pill for a 9-hour flight. I would like to get on board of the plane, have dinner then fall a sleep for at least 6 hours.
I had hard time sleeping on my last trip...was exhausted when arrived to my destination.
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 07:38 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,257 times
What works for some people may not necessarily work for you. For instance, I tried Ambien on one overseas flight and found it useless, althought I know it works for a lot of people.

have you ever taken a sleep med before that worked for you? What about Benadryl? You don't need a prescription for that.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:06 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
What works for some people may not necessarily work for you. For instance, I tried Ambien on one overseas flight and found it useless, althought I know it works for a lot of people.

have you ever taken a sleep med before that worked for you? What about Benadryl? You don't need a prescription for that.
i have never taken any meds for long distance flights. But, after my last flight....i am hoping to find a med. I would like to arrive rested.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:13 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,095 times
Personally, I wouldn't want to take anything that would put me to sleep, but I might take something that would relax me and perhaps make me drowsy, like Xanax.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:05 AM

2,126 posts, read 1,790,558 times
It may be better to try to adjust your sleep before your leave so that you're on the sleep schedule you want by the time you take your flight. This site posted on another thread seems useful Jet Lag Rooster: A free jet lag remedy based on science

Also if the reason you couldn't sleep was because you couldn't get comfortable you may want to get something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I bought it for my recent 13 hour flight but never got around to using it but others recommend it. This pillow could also work Amazon.com: Skyrest Travel Pillow: Health & Personal Care but I think it would be useless if the person in front of you reclines

Old 03-13-2015, 09:13 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,327 times
I do this. I do not sleep the previous day or get max 4 hrs sleep on the day of travel, so I automatically doze off.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:48 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
Hi,
Would any one recommend a type of sleeping pill for a 9-hour flight. I would like to get on board of the plane, have dinner then fall a sleep for at least 6 hours.
I had hard time sleeping on my last trip...was exhausted when arrived to my destination.
Thanks,
I would suggest getting a prescription from your doctor. That's what I have done for my flights. I take enough pills so it knocks me out, I cannot deal with flying.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:43 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,884,817 times
I've taken several long distance flights over the years, several 15 hours long. First and business class are beyond my pocket book. Don't think there's anything that could make me fall asleep in one the torture devices commonly known as economy class seats.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:40 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,531,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I've taken several long distance flights over the years, several 15 hours long. First and business class are beyond my pocket book. Don't think there's anything that could make me fall asleep in one the torture devices commonly known as economy class seats.
Haha, same here. I haven't fallen asleep on a plane since I was a kid. I've been dead tired but still can't fall asleep. Part of the reason is the uncomfortable seats but an even bigger reason might be the fact that I feel very uncomfortable being unconscious around a group of strangers.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:28 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,991,884 times
I can't sleep sitting up...so I simply resign myself to NOT getting any rest on a plane!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel