Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 12:09 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times

Advertisements

I've been looking into going to Costa Rica for my next trip, specifically Puerto Viejo. I came upon it somehow, kind of a small surfing village on the Caribbean side & thought it looked like my kind of place. Has anyone been there? Is it close to some good ziplining places? Just seeing if anyone has some advice/thoughts.

If not there, any suggestions on where you stayed in Costa Rica? I'm a single female traveler in my early 40's, ultimately would like to stay in some type of casita on the beach but I'll take a place in the jungle too. I would like to go ziplining but I don't have to be right next to a good place, I could drive or take public transit. I don't need to be up & about doing something all the time so the town can be laid back, I like that. I don't care if I'm in a town that has mostly young backpackers coming to it, Little Corn Island was like that, but it'd be kinda nice to have an age group around my age just so I don't feel like the oldest person there, lol. Anyway, any tidbits would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 02:58 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,169,139 times
I have never been there, but I have been to the Guanacaste area, and, I think that is my favorite vacation ever. We had a great time and would move there in a heartbeat.

I don't have much info for you on what you are looking for, but, good luck!

Old 03-04-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I have never been there, but I have been to the Guanacaste area, and, I think that is my favorite vacation ever. We had a great time and would move there in a heartbeat.

I don't have much info for you on what you are looking for, but, good luck!
Thanks! Why did you like that area so much? The vibe, things to do, etc?

Old 03-04-2015, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 589 times
Puerto Viejo has a very laid back vibe and attracts its fair share of young backpackers, but also a lot of Europeans and North American people of all ages. It has ziplining too, however, the focus is way more on the nature all around. You'll find plenty of rental homes in VRBO and Airbnb at affordable prices. If you hire a bike to get around then you'll get about just fine. The local bus service is regular and reliable.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraincahuita View Post
Puerto Viejo has a very laid back vibe and attracts its fair share of young backpackers, but also a lot of Europeans and North American people of all ages. It has ziplining too, however, the focus is way more on the nature all around. You'll find plenty of rental homes in VRBO and Airbnb at affordable prices. If you hire a bike to get around then you'll get about just fine. The local bus service is regular and reliable.
Thanks! Yes, I've heard it would be a good ok to rent a bike. I just signed up on AirBnB & I cannot believe how relatively cheap rentals are, I'm talking an entire house for $75/night. I'm thinking if local transit is good I won't need to rent a car at all. Thanks for the post!

Old 03-06-2015, 11:29 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,169,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Thanks! Why did you like that area so much? The vibe, things to do, etc?
It was just a great time. We stayed at a resort... half of the days we were lazy and hung at the pool or on the beach. Other days, we hired a tour guide and did 2 amazing tours, and then the last day we did a catamaran/snorkeling thing and had a blast.

The one tour we did with the guide, we did a river tour of a National Park.. Just my wife, me, the guide, and the boat driver.. We were the first ones out in the morning... On way back we passed boats the same size that were entirely full of tourists with big cameras.. I was able to walk all over the boat and take pictures of whatever I wanted. We say a Jesus Christ Lizard, tons of huge iguanas, fed crocodiles off the side of the boat, etc.

I also, from about 10 feet away, saw a Monkey attack an iguana with a stick.. One of the craziest things I have ever seen.

Also, the people were friendly, not pushy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel