Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 06:56 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,225,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
I get that from my brother in law...talking about people who won't travel..he's one of them...but he hears our plans of a cruise or flying somewhere and he always says to me MUST BE NICE.....but he won't get on a plane because of his claustrophobia...it's weird... does he feel bad for wanting to go but can't get on the plane?
I could understand being claustrophobic on planes, especially when the plane door closes and you're flying through the air in a "tin can", but that aside, there are many other ways to travel that don't require flying and he should look into those. We only have one life to live on this earth - I would like to think we are all going to be coming back (reincarnation) but no one really knows, so why not live this life the way you want to live it. It sounds like he is very unhappy, not being able to travel. There are medications that he can take prior to getting on a plane that will control the anxiety he feels. I do not minimize his fear of getting on a plane because it is a real fear to some people, but he shouldn't feel resigned and let the fear control his life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 08:02 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,864,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Most people don't agree with you. You seem to have some misplaced anger towards the U.S. Odd.

I don't know why so many people think that the only reason people don't travel is because they don't want to or because they have such expensive cars & houses. I love travel, I love hearing about other people's trips. I love planning trips, it's one of my favorite past times. However, it's not easy to save up for a big trip even once a year when you don't make a lot of money. Rent, bills, car insurance, etc sucks up a lot of money out of a paycheck. I would love to take a few trips a year but it's simply not feasible. And no, I don't spend my money going out on the weekends, going out to eat all the time, cars, clothing, etc. I don't have cable, I don't get my hair done every few weeks. The reality is is that many many people have to pay the bills first. I put money away every paycheck into a separate account for travel but sometimes I need to take money out of that account. Don't assume that people waste their money on frivolous things simply because they're not traveling every few months like a lot of people on this forum seem to do.
but travel doesn't have to be super expensive requiring months of savings.
I took a trip to Lisbon and Barcelona two weeks ago, for 8 days. Cost me about US$1300 including everything. Does that sound astronomical to you?

Regarding US cities, no I am not angry about them. They are just largely homogenous and not fun to visit for lack of interesting architecture and historical landmarks. That's all. If one wants to visit the US, go for the natural scene, not the cities (maybe 5 are worth seeing).

Old 03-02-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
No offense but I have to ask what in world is your deal? You seem to have this personal vendetta against the USA. Its ok to think another city is better but to go off this tangent proclaiming all the American cities are "boring with no culture," is ridiculous. Get over yourself and your inferiority complex towards the USA.
I have never said "all US cities are boring". But they are mostly boring and look the same. You don't agree? I thought that's common sense.

People usually visit a city for its architecture, heritage sites and landmarks, or vibrant urban scene. In general American cities don't do well in any of those (except a few). American cities are generally not that interesting to see, and that's a fact, not just my opinion. Do you think Dallas or Phoenix are fun places? Seattle or Chicago is as exciting to see as Toulouse, France or Frankfurt, Germany. Even Miami is extremely sterile and Las Vegas so fake that I want to puke. Los Angeles practically has nothing to see except a few tourist traps which usually turn out to be completely underwhelming.

I don' t have a personal vendetta against the US. It is just in terms of travel, Americans cities are boring. Honestly outside NYC, I can't think of a single American city that is as interesting as Lisbon, Portugal.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:52 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,676,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
but travel doesn't have to be super expensive requiring months of savings.
I took a trip to Lisbon and Barcelona two weeks ago, for 8 days. Cost me about US$1300 including everything. Does that sound astronomical to you?

Regarding US cities, no I am not angry about them. They are just largely homogenous and not fun to visit for lack of interesting architecture and historical landmarks. That's all. If one wants to visit the US, go for the natural scene, not the cities (maybe 5 are worth seeing).
Astronomical? No.

Quote:
I have never said "all US cities are boring". But they are mostly boring and look the same. You don't agree? I thought that's common sense.

People usually visit a city for its architecture, heritage sites and landmarks, or vibrant urban scene. In general American cities don't do well in any of those (except a few). American cities are generally not that interesting to see, and that's a fact, not just my opinion. Do you think Dallas or Phoenix are fun places? Seattle or Chicago is as exciting to see as Toulouse, France or Frankfurt, Germany. Even Miami is extremely sterile and Las Vegas so fake that I want to puke. Los Angeles practically has nothing to see except a few tourist traps which usually turn out to be completely underwhelming.

I don' t have a personal vendetta against the US. It is just in terms of travel, Americans cities are boring. Honestly outside NYC, I can't think of a single American city that is as interesting as Lisbon, Portugal.
Lol, that must be why we have so many visitors coming to the U.S., because it's so boring.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post

Lol, that must be why we have so many visitors coming to the U.S., because it's so boring.
they don't all travel to see the cities, do they? Did I say the US is boring? I said American cities are largely boring.

Plus, people travel due to a lot of reasons. The US is culturally influential and many (largely ignorant) people from elsewhere often have the urge to see its major cities assuming they are all wealthy and spectacular.

Can anyone point out a single American city besides NYC that has more to see than Lisbon? Or "boring" Brussels? And Lisbon is not even any sort of magnet when it comes to tourism.

To put things in perspective, in terms of "what to see" here is my opinion

San Francisco = Malaga, Spain
Los Angeles = Warsaw, Poland
Miami = Marseille, France
Las Vegas = Dusseldorf, Germany
Boston = Cambridge, UK
Washington DC = Bratislava, Slovakia
New Orleans = Naples, Italy

this is how interesting Americans cities are.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
they don't all travel to see the cities, do they? Did I say the US is boring? I said American cities are largely boring.

Plus, people travel due to a lot of reasons. The US is culturally influential and many (largely ignorant) people from elsewhere often have the urge to see its major cities assuming they are all wealthy and spectacular.

Can anyone point out a single American city besides NYC that has more to see than Lisbon? Or "boring" Brussels? And Lisbon is not even any sort of magnet when it comes to tourism.

Boston = Cambridge, UK

And millions disagree with you. End of story.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 PM

11,218 posts, read 16,169,300 times
Quote:

Boston = Cambridge, UK

No, that's how narrow-minded and clueless you are.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
No, that's how narrow-minded and clueless you are.
sorry it hurt your feelings but it remains largely true.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
sorry it hurt your feelings but it remains largely true.
Nah, it's just you.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:23 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,151,990 times
Quote:

Boston = Cambridge, UK

I somewhat agree but not entirely. I think NYC, Boston and Washington DC on the East Coast are worth visiting. Maybe Chicago though I've personally have never been there. I think San Francisco is an amazing city to visit. Miami Beach is worth seeing as well and I think the rest of the world agrees. However, the inland city of Miami itself, outside of the small business area with mono rail, is largely hot and depressing. I have heard Portland and Seattle are interesting as well.

But overall, I agree that visiting European cities is a lot more fun. Other than museums and architecture, a lot (but not all) of the major European cities are more pedestrian friendly and have less traffic. Many cities have huge pedestrian only streets and squares and have a relaxing, care free outdoor culture. This is something that US cities simply do not have. Even NYC has only started creating pedestrian only areas and this initiative is controversial. Many European cities also have more reliable and comfortable public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel