Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 03:41 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,227,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
I agree, it is much more convenient. If I was traveling alone I would stay near the station again for sure, but sometimes felt uneasy with the girlfriend tagging along after dark through that area.
I don't think that area is bad enough to need to worry. I also think your girlfriend is probably a lot more able to fend for herself than you give her credit for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 05:34 PM

146 posts, read 116,711 times
As for the flight......all of the planes are practically half empty. I even looked at the seat map for the next flight out, and it wasn't close to being full. Looking forward to that!

The flight (almost all of them) that we're looking at connects in Brussels, Belgium (there and back). Flight there is a 2.5 hour layover. Coming back they're much longer for some reason. One was a 10 hour layover, another was 17 hours. I'm considering take the 17 hour layoff flight back. Gives us time to spend some time in Brussels, maybe get a cheap hotel to sleep for a few hours before boarding the plane back to the US. Does this make sense? Has anybody ever done that before. I've never taken connecting flights in my life, always non-stop.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:04 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,227,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybaggs View Post
As for the flight......all of the planes are practically half empty. I even looked at the seat map for the next flight out, and it wasn't close to being full. Looking forward to that!

The flight (almost all of them) that we're looking at connects in Brussels, Belgium (there and back). Flight there is a 2.5 hour layover. Coming back they're much longer for some reason. One was a 10 hour layover, another was 17 hours. I'm considering take the 17 hour layoff flight back. Gives us time to spend some time in Brussels, maybe get a cheap hotel to sleep for a few hours before boarding the plane back to the US. Does this make sense? Has anybody ever done that before. I've never taken connecting flights in my life, always non-stop.
Don't count on it. I can pretty well guarantee that most if not all of those seats will be filled by the time you leave. There are inevitably tickets sold with no seat assignment yet and tickets that will be sold through consolidators to put butts in those seats. The chances of a European long haul flying only half full is slim to none.

They take longer coming back due to headwinds.

It wouldn't make sense to get a hotel to sleep in Brussels. If you don't want to spend time sightseeing, just take the shorter layover and be done with it.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:05 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,548,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't think that area is bad enough to need to worry. I also think your girlfriend is probably a lot more able to fend for herself than you give her credit for.
Whether she is or isn't, it's my responsibility to keep her safe.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:59 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,793,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Whether she is or isn't, it's my responsibility to keep her safe.
I thought she is your girlfriend, an adult, not your daughter.
Other adult females seem to be alive in the city.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:33 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,560,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Don't count on it. I can pretty well guarantee that most if not all of those seats will be filled by the time you leave. There are inevitably tickets sold with no seat assignment yet and tickets that will be sold through consolidators to put butts in those seats. The chances of a European long haul flying only half full is slim to none.

They take longer coming back due to headwinds.

It wouldn't make sense to get a hotel to sleep in Brussels. If you don't want to spend time sightseeing, just take the shorter layover and be done with it.
Meh. I just flew Brussels to Philadelphia on US Airways and I had a whole row to myself. I was laying down across the seats without my feet touching the side of the plane, and I'm about 5'11. I'd say almost everyone on that flight had at least one seat between them and the next person. That's happened to me a couple of times now. Not common, but it's definitely possible.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:23 AM

146 posts, read 116,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Meh. I just flew Brussels to Philadelphia on US Airways and I had a whole row to myself. I was laying down across the seats without my feet touching the side of the plane, and I'm about 5'11. I'd say almost everyone on that flight had at least one seat between them and the next person. That's happened to me a couple of times now. Not common, but it's definitely possible.
Yes, the plane we're taking is still half empty. I can book the next flight out (today at 6pm.....it's Friday) and 1/3 of the plane is vacant. So yes, this will be nice!!

My flight heads out next week. Spending 2 weeks (12 days to be exact) in Italy. We're beginning our trip in Rome. Weather is in the 60s with sun. Hotels are empty and dirt cheap (saw 4 star hotels for less than $100). I mean, a round trip plane ticket was $700!! Should be nice out there without the overwhelming amount of tourists. Still warm enough too to enjoy our stay.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:58 PM

974 posts, read 2,194,827 times
FWIW.... if you're planning to see Pompei, you might also want to check out Herculaneum nearby. People see Pompei for the destruction and ruins... Herculaneum has more buildings intact and less damage due to the type of mud & ash that hit the city. Pompei was hit much harder. And don't get confused with the Pompeii vs Pompei, the new city is Pompeii with two ii's, the ruins are Pompei with a single i. Link below gives more details.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/829
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel