Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 07:27 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,854,709 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the comments. I happy to see there is some agreement that my new plan for Paris/Rome/Florence is a more realistic itinerary compared to my original plan.

As I read the comments of those that think I'm crazy, I realize that my views on traveling may be more unconventional than most. I am generally a stress free traveler, I don't get freaked out when I miss a flight, if I don't get to see or do everything on my list it's fine with me.

I'm now thinking of these stops of a a series of long weekends, I take such trips several times a year in the US. Compared to the trips that I take to New York City, I'm spending more time in each city than I usually do in New York. Like I said, I know that I will want to go back some day so I don't feel like I need to spend 10 days taking in everything one place has to offer, for the most part everything there is to see is going to still be there. While I would love the go to the top of the Eiffel Tower on this trip, if I don't make it on this trip, I'm pretty sure it will still be there even if my next trip isn't until years later.

I also realize that even though this is the plan that I'm putting together it is entirely possible that things may change as we find out about things happening in each city like a concert or a temporary exhibit. We'll probably only commit to the flight to Paris and adjust as we go,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 07:45 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,854,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
All I can say is that I'm very glad I'm not taking this trip. I would rather spend 10 days just in Paris and the surrounding area -- mainly Epernay -- and actually see something.

It's your money, and more importantly your time. Spend it however you like. But I'd rather have a root canal than take the trip you're planning.
The best thing about this comment is that I actually think that root canals are one of the greatest things ever. Most of the times that I have needed one, I was in such horrible pain that knowing that I was to be pain free after the root canal made me happy. There was one time I actually did a little dance of joy knowing that I was about to pain free for the first time in weeks

Old 02-10-2015, 09:43 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,190,565 times
Tours are the way to go if you want the most trouble free seeing a lot in a short amount of time and at lower cost for what you get. Just the headaches they take off shoulders in such travel is peaceful in comparison. Other than that plan to pay more for equal with headaches. Why I do not like such trips myself.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:49 PM

4,269 posts, read 4,531,016 times
This longer post from another travel question may be of help to you in things to consider / research for your plans.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/europ...l#post34500447

Enjoy the experience! I always get an extra rush of adrenaline when I travel.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:54 PM

11,854 posts, read 12,137,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Thanks everyone for the comments. I happy to see there is some agreement that my new plan for Paris/Rome/Florence is a more realistic itinerary compared to my original plan.

As I read the comments of those that think I'm crazy, I realize that my views on traveling may be more unconventional than most. I am generally a stress free traveler, I don't get freaked out when I miss a flight, if I don't get to see or do everything on my list it's fine with me.

I'm now thinking of these stops of a a series of long weekends, I take such trips several times a year in the US. Compared to the trips that I take to New York City, I'm spending more time in each city than I usually do in New York. Like I said, I know that I will want to go back some day so I don't feel like I need to spend 10 days taking in everything one place has to offer, for the most part everything there is to see is going to still be there. While I would love the go to the top of the Eiffel Tower on this trip, if I don't make it on this trip, I'm pretty sure it will still be there even if my next trip isn't until years later.

I also realize that even though this is the plan that I'm putting together it is entirely possible that things may change as we find out about things happening in each city like a concert or a temporary exhibit. We'll probably only commit to the flight to Paris and adjust as we go,
Looking at them as long weekends is a good idea. You don't want to spend half of the time just trying to get someplace and you want to be in one spot long enough at the start to give yourself a rest to recover from jet lag so that your arse isn't dragging for the whole trip. Cranky and tired is no way to spend a vacation.

Doing a loop from Milan to Paris, then Rome, Florence and back to Milan is a lot more effective use of your time than trying to dash off to Venice and Naples as well. Three days gives you a great feel for a locale and gives you time to explore and enjoy. Was just in Rome at the start of September and dearly miss the warm summer nights sitting in a piazza, watching the sky turn purple and pink, the fading sunlight casting a glow on the old buildings, that incredible yellowish rust colour, in ways you don't see in North American cities. The architecture, fountains, all of it is like history coming alive around you, just breathtaking.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:11 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,168,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Tours are the way to go if you want the most trouble free seeing a lot in a short amount of time and at lower cost for what you get. Just the headaches they take off shoulders in such travel is peaceful in comparison. Other than that plan to pay more for equal with headaches. Why I do not like such trips myself.
I was going to suggest a tour as well, because it's more bang for your buck and depending on the company, your hand won't be held for every single thing. I will say to the OP though, if you want to do the Vatican and that is something you had planned on doing, then do it. The advice you have gotten here is great, but don't let someone else talk you out of the experience of going to Vatican city. My girlfriend and I will be in Rome in May for a few days, we're not Catholic, but we're going to Vatican city anyway. Our stay there would feel incomplete without going

Old 02-11-2015, 08:33 AM

121 posts, read 90,024 times
Shelly, hope your revised trip works out well for you. My wife and I spent time in Florence and Siena last October but took time spending a week in each, but we are retired so time is not really a concern for us. (We also enjoyed Rome in 1.5 days and Paris in 2 so can also appreciate just ticking off the highlights.). Couple of thoughts:
. If you are interested in art, Florence is amazing. If you can't handle the crowds at the Uffuzi just cross the river to the Pitti Palazzo , awesome!
. We loved Siena, great history, buildings, food but in the middle of landscape that looks like an oil painting. An hour by train from Florence, so easy day trip.
. Agree with the suggestion of the tour bus in Rome. We chose the green line and did the full circuit. Realised that the old town is very small, so stayed on till we were near the Spanish steps (under renovation so no water), jumped off and walked back to the Vatican.
If it is first trip to non-english speaking country, expect some challenges

Old 02-11-2015, 08:47 AM

11,854 posts, read 12,137,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
I was going to suggest a tour as well, because it's more bang for your buck and depending on the company, your hand won't be held for every single thing. I will say to the OP though, if you want to do the Vatican and that is something you had planned on doing, then do it. The advice you have gotten here is great, but don't let someone else talk you out of the experience of going to Vatican city. My girlfriend and I will be in Rome in May for a few days, we're not Catholic, but we're going to Vatican city anyway. Our stay there would feel incomplete without going
^^^This. And buy your tour tickets in advance online so you can bypass the massive lineup to get in. I was disappointed that it was so crowded there, but St. Peter's Basilica was jaw-dropping inside. And I even bought and mailed a few postcards from there, just to have the postmark of Vatican City on them. (And I'm not Catholic).

That was the only tour we did in Rome and we were there for three days. It's a very walkable city and found it quite easy to get around.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:58 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,462,062 times
Do be aware that the Vatican is not the only important Catholic church in Rome (you mentioned communion wine earlier in this thread so I'm assuming you're Catholic). St. Peter's in the Vatican is a must see, but there are many other glorious churches in Rome to visit. Visiting the churches is a wonderful way to get a sense of Italian history, art and architecture all rolled up into one. Hunting down the smaller churches is also a marvelous way to explore Rome. Some of the oldest churches will have Roman ruins in their crypts as well. I am not religious but I rarely pass up a chance to visit a historic church for these reasons and I often find them more enjoyable and evocative than a packed museum.

Likewise in Florence, there are a number of wonderful Florentian Renaissance churches with spectacular art and architecture. If you find the prospect of dealing with the crowds at the Uffuzi, then skip the museum and instead focus on visiting the churches, which is yet another great way to explore the city.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:08 PM

10,408 posts, read 8,094,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
That is exactly the attitude that will insure you have a good trip. Enjoy Paris, Rome, and Florence!

(Reading this thread makes me want to go back to Rome so badly...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel