Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 10:57 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,556,216 times

Advertisements

We're planning a trip to southwest Florida in April and we're thinking of going by train. Has anyone done that route and what is your opinion of the experience? We would probably travel coach, so what are some of the most valuable comforts from home to bring? Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 08:54 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,620,598 times
Have no recent experience, but years ago when I was younger, my family once traveled from NYC to Florida by a mix of driving and the Amtrak Auto Train. The Auto Train goes from just outside DC to Sanford, FL, not far from Orlando. So you get to have your car with you, which can be packed with a lot of luggage, yet not have to drive/ put as much wear & tear on your vehicle or pay for gas. I remember the train offered different accommodations and all food was included in the price as well.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:27 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,968,104 times
All of the Amtrak lines going into and out of NYC are single-level trains, as the tunnels into Penn can't accommodate the large trains. They're currently working on a tunnel project that'll allow for the superliners, but until then you're stuck with the smaller trains.

Coach is like first class on an airplane. Large, wide seats. They recline a bit, have pop-up leg rests, tray tables, and power outlets. Some of the trains have wifi, but I think that's only the Northeast corridor (DC-Boston). The food in the dining car is actually surprisingly good, but a bit pricy ($10-15 for breakfast, $15-20 for lunch and dinner). There's also a snack car that's a little cheaper, but still pricy. Microwaved personal pizzas, candy, chips, drinks -- that kind of stuff. If you want to go cheap, you're more than welcome to carry food onto the train. But keep in mind you'll have no refrigeration for the trip, so pack food accordingly.

The most important thing to bring: a blanket and pillow! You'll more than likely sleep in your coach seat, might as well be comfortable! I usually take a small throw blanket, and a travel pillow. Easy to include with luggage, and comfortable on trips. Wear comfortable clothes and dress in layers. Also, pack some form of entertainment. Books, a tablet with some movies loaded onto it... don't rely on cell service for Netflix or anything, you might lose it if you go into the mountains.

The train is a great way to travel. I like to compare it to driving, minus the stress and the wear on your car. You can sleep / drink / eat the whole way!

One quick side note: if you're a smoker (and this goes to anyone, not necessarily the OP) -- consider patches or gum. There's no smoking on trains, and smoking is only allowed at a few stops... and if the train is behind schedule and there's nobody planned to get on / off at those stops, the train will roll right through them to make up time. People try to get away with smoking in the doorways, but they're always found, and they're usually thrown off the train. Don't try it. I don't know the rules for e-cigarettes or vaporizers off-hand, but I don't believe they're allowed either.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:05 AM

538 posts, read 549,595 times
As someone mentioned, consider Amtrak auto train. Since you're heading south in April, the rates should be fairly reasonable. The train leaves Lorton, VA daily at about 4:00 pm and normally arrives in Sanford, FL about 8:00 am the next morning. You can find info here.

Lorton is right off of I-95 south of the Washington DC beltway. Sanford is 30 minutes to Orlando and about 2 hours from Tampa.

I just looked up one-way rates for coach seats on 4/13/15 and the price was $106 each. The cost for car transport was $239. So for a family of 4, that's less than $700. Not bad. Meals are included and they are surprisingly decent.

We have taken the auto train several times over the past 5 years, and enjoy it.

Cab591 mentioned a blanket and pillows, as well as laying your clothing - all good ideas. Both train stations have free wireless service so while you wait to board, family members can use their smartphones or tablets.

Dining times are determined on a first come, first serve basis. Depending on total train passengers, dining times are at 5:00, 7:00, or 9:00 pm. So if dining times are important, plan on getting to the station by 1:00 pm. Boarding time is usually 3:00 - 3:30 pm.

If you're seriously considering taking the auto train, DM me and I can provide a lot more details.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:15 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,336,511 times
I have used the wifi between Raleigh and DC, but it's pretty lousy service. They don't allow any streaming, and it's SLOOOOOW because so many people are using it.

Definitely have your entertainment options pre-loaded before getting on the train.

The trains I've been on have had outlets under the window of each row, so for that reason it's helpful to get a window seat. (but that's in business class. I can't speak to coach)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel