Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 09:43 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I disagree. Yes, you might be able to fly steerage on a discount airline to some random out of the way city on a special sale fare that requires flying mid-week at an odd hour in the off-season, but from the major US east coast gateway cities (EWR, JFK, PHL, ATL, MIA, BOS), the average cost for an economy ticket that includes one checked bag to a major Euro tourism airport (FCO, FRA, CDG, BRU, TXL, ATH, MAD, etc.) in shoulder to peak season is going to be around $1000 these days. Like it or not, some people have no choice but to travel during peak times due to work or school commitments.
Well, you agree with me then. Peak season out of an east coast city is $1000 (not $1500). I am sure it can be more if one is flying out of a smaller city with 1-2 connections --- but let's not bring in exceptions into a discussion about average costs.

Quote:
Some people have a travel agent (who is just an order taker) book airfare and hotel, and that's the end of it. I agree, most people would do some research, but some people would also learn how to turn on the oven before baking a cake.
"Some people" ... not "most people". Most people travelling to Europe are booking flights and hotels themselves.

Quote:
You're preaching to the choir, but not everyone has common sense. I was on a Euro cruise a few years back with some people who had their airfare and the hotel the night before the cruise booked by the cruise line, but otherwise had done zero research. They landed at the airport and took a cab from FCO to the hotel near Termini. They were complaining about how much it cost, and I asked why they hadn't taken the train. They said they didn't know there was one.
I agree with you. Unless you do some detailed research or have a phone with data - it is very difficult to find directions from A to B in many European cities.

But on trips to Europe, you will find most tourists carrying some kind of map or Frommer's/Lonely Planet guide. So, I think that majority of the tourists these days are savvy travellers.

Quote:
I've stayed at a luxury hotel near there--I wouldn't choose to stay there again, too expensive. That said, I also know that there is no hotel in Rome that my husband and I are going to be happy with at $100 a night. That's our choice, and more expensive properties fit our budget. I think the next time we go there we'll probably rent a flat.
Termini is one of the shabbiest parts of Rome. Probably not a good fit for someone willing to spend over $200 a night.

Quote:
I love pizza in Rome as much as the next person, but I don't want to eat it every day. My body needs protein, and not the type that comes from a bit of meat on top of a pie.
But that was exactly my point. How can one's body handle eating at restaurants every day? I am a foodie as much as the next person. But eating out everyday would make me sick.

Quote:
I agree that the $1500 is probably high, but I can definitely see it--particularly if they wait until the last minute or want first class seats. If they haven't planned anything else, why would they plan their ground transportation?
Well then ... I could "plan" a last minute trip to Mexico and blow $10,000 for a 10 day trip. Isnt that possible as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 09:56 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Well, you agree with me then. Peak season out of an east coast city is $1000 (not $1500). I am sure it can be more if one is flying out of a smaller city with 1-2 connections --- but let's not bring in exceptions into a discussion about average costs.
Considering that 80% of the people in the US live four or more hours from an East Coast gateway city, it would be ridiculous to treat them as the exception instead of the rule. That's like saying that everyone can fly to Hawaii for cheap because it's an exception that they don't live near LAX.

Quote:
"Some people" ... not "most people". Most people travelling to Europe are booking flights and hotels themselves.
If that were the case, there would be no travel agents left. Even people who book airfare and hotel by themselves don't always research much more than wanting to see the (insert name of two major tourist sights or museums here).

Quote:
I agree with you. Unless you do some detailed research or have a phone with data - it is very difficult to find directions from A to B in many European cities.

But on trips to Europe, you will find most tourists carrying some kind of map or Frommer's/Lonely Planet guide. So, I think that majority of the tourists these days are savvy travellers.
Somewhat informed, yes. Savvy, no way.

Quote:
Termini is one of the shabbiest parts of Rome. Probably not a good fit for someone willing to spend over $200 a night.
We stayed at the Boscolo Exedra twice, once because we got a good deal and once because we got free motorcoach transfers to our cruise if we spent the night there, and that savings made it worth the rate. But you are right, not the best part of Rome. One nice thing is that they guarantee non-smoking and US King beds--something few hotels in Rome will do.

Quote:
But that was exactly my point. How can one's body handle eating at restaurants every day? I am a foodie as much as the next person. But eating out everyday would make me sick.
Unless you have a flat, I don't see other options. Getting take out is the same as eating out, except you eat in your room instead of the restaurant.

Quote:
Well then ... I could "plan" a last minute trip to Mexico and blow $10,000 for a 10 day trip. Isnt that possible as well?
I have no idea of what you mean by this statement. Hell, I could blow $10,000 in a day traveling. That doesn't mean I will. I also am not going to travel if I need to watch every dime and eat bread and water the entire trip.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:31 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrett View Post
California? Depends on the season of course, but it would easily be $1500 for me to go to Europe. I get a deal on going to Hawaii though.
Are you on the central coast? I usually get direct flights to Europe out of SFO for $850 - $1100 (depending on season). I imagine LAX is even cheaper. Not as good as the East Coast hubs, but we'll always have the Pacific.

Quote:
Considering that 80% of the people in the US live four or more hours from an East Coast gateway city, it would be ridiculous to treat them as the exception instead of the rule. That's like saying that everyone can fly to Hawaii for cheap because it's an exception that they don't live near LAX.

If that were the case, there would be no travel agents left. Even people who book airfare and hotel by themselves don't always research much more than wanting to see the (insert name of two major tourist sights or museums here).

Somewhat informed, yes. Savvy, no way.

We stayed at the Boscolo Exedra twice, once because we got a good deal and once because we got free motorcoach transfers to our cruise if we spent the night there, and that savings made it worth the rate. But you are right, not the best part of Rome. One nice thing is that they guarantee non-smoking and US King beds--something few hotels in Rome will do.

Unless you have a flat, I don't see other options. Getting take out is the same as eating out, except you eat in your room instead of the restaurant.

I have no idea of what you mean by this statement. Hell, I could blow $10,000 in a day traveling. That doesn't mean I will. I also am not going to travel if I need to watch every dime and eat bread and water the entire trip.
Between NY, Boston, D.C., Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, Dallas, LAX, Seattle, and SFO, you've probably got a pretty substantial percentage of Americans with good international flight access, including transatlantic.

There has been something of a collapse in the travel agent industry. The number of agents is down more than 50% from its peak.

Regarding Termini: I stayed at UNA Hotel Roma, which was quite nice, though the neighborhood is hardly the best. It is, though, a great transit hub for getting around the city. At the time of my visit, which was late May, I thought that Rome's hotels were quite expensive for their quality.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:45 AM

2,121 posts, read 1,789,073 times
Quote:
You assume that people can travel at any time they choose. As I stated earlier, some people are restricted to certain weeks or months that are peak travel times. Some people can only take one week increments beginning Friday at 5:00 pm and ending Monday at 8:00 am. They can't leave a little early or come in late.

Some people don't have the ability to be by a computer 24/7 to book when deals like that come up.
I didn't make that assumption, I was just making a point that your statement that it wasn't possible to go to Europe during shoulder to peak season for less than $1000 or that going for less than that would be a miserable experience wasn't true.

I'm not saying that everyone can take advantage of that deal, but rather to let people know that there are deals like that. If all I ever saw was a statement like yours I would never think that it would be possible to go at all or if I could find a cheaper rate, my experience getting there would be horrid. I just wanted to show that it was possible to take a trip on one of the top airlines in the world, to a desirable location, for a relatively affordable price and that I had sufficient time to make sure I could fit the trip into my schedule.

Also being by a computer 24/7 is not a requirement for getting deals like that, over half of mobile users have smart phones which means that they essentially have a computer by their side nearly 24/7. All it takes is just knowing how to stay informed. In today's day and age you can easily sign up for alerts from sites that find deals, you can get involved in messaging groups that will send you links to deals. For those that don't have flexibility they can still monitor deals as they come in and take advantage of one that does fit their schedule.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Regarding Termini: I stayed at UNA Hotel Roma, which was quite nice, though the neighborhood is hardly the best. It is, though, a great transit hub for getting around the city. At the time of my visit, which was late May, I thought that Rome's hotels were quite expensive for their quality.
They don't guarantee non-smoking rooms. That's a deal breaker for me.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:00 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Investor View Post
$2000 for Food (An average of $30 for breakfast and lunch and $70 for dinner per person for ten days)
$70 per person for dinner sounds awfully high to me. I know that here in the U.S., a $70 dinner is on the pricey side. We eat out a lot, and I think of very few times when we've spent $70 per person. Perhaps a significant part of this cost is alcohol. If so, it would definitely be possible to spend less.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
$70 per person for dinner sounds awfully high to me. I know that here in the U.S., a $70 dinner is on the pricey side. We eat out a lot, and I think of very few times when we've spent $70 per person. Perhaps a significant part of this cost is alcohol. If so, it would definitely be possible to spend less.
I'm having dinner in London with friends next month, good place but nothing gourmet by any means. We're jumping for joy that it will only cost us £82 per head VAT inclusive for three courses (appetizer, entree, salad) including still water and coffee/tea service. No alcohol is included. It can be very expensive to eat in parts of Europe, unless you want a roll for breakfast, pizza or a kebob for lunch, and a bowl of pasta or shepherds pie for dinner every day. By the way, for a better but not Michelin starred restaurant, $70 is not high for dinner in most of the US.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:10 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
I'm having dinner in London with friends next month, good place but nothing gourmet by any means. We're jumping for joy that it will only cost us £82 per head VAT inclusive for three courses (appetizer, entree, salad) including still water and coffee/tea service. No alcohol is included. It can be very expensive to eat in parts of Europe, unless you want a roll for breakfast, pizza or a kebob for lunch, and a bowl of pasta or shepherds pie for dinner every day. By the way, for a better but not Michelin starred restaurant, $70 is not high for dinner in most of the US.
I see what you're saying. I guess that for me and my husband, a really "nice dinner" is fun maybe once a week. The rest of the time, we're perfectly happy having "a roll for breakfast, pizza or a kebob for lunch, and a bowl of pasta or shepherds pie for dinner every day." Travel is expensive. I'd just rather use my money for things other than "nice dinners" 7 nights a week. Now if I had the money to do otherwise, I probably would.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I see what you're saying. I guess that for me and my husband, a really "nice dinner" is fun maybe once a week. The rest of the time, we're perfectly happy having "a roll for breakfast, pizza or a kebob for lunch, and a bowl of pasta or shepherds pie for dinner every day." Travel is expensive. I'd just rather use my money for things other than "nice dinners" 7 nights a week. Now if I had the money to do otherwise, I probably would.
That's one of the reasons we often like to rent a flat while we travel. We can combine a few nicer dinners with a couple of cafe/pub meals with home cooked meals. It balances the budget--and the waistline. We'd rather trade the extra space and washer/dryer for some of the food budget as well.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:42 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Sure. I agree with you. But on average, it does not cost $1500 to fly to Europe no matter where you fly from.
Just checked on Travelocity. AUS to ROM for June travel is $2090 and UP, ONE WAY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel