Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 02:24 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,910,129 times

Advertisements

Ok, so our family is going on a vacation in a couple weeks and we have decided on DC/New York vs Houston. As far as activities/sights go NYC/DC blow Houston out of the water, but considering the weather do you think it's a good idea to visit DC/New York during December, a couple weeks before Christmas? Either way we are driving, Houston is 13 hours vs 18 to DC, and another few to NYC. These destinations are the only options, the reason being is a little complicated, but it has to have a direct flight to Montreal, we aren't interested in any other city that has direct flights. Houston gets the advantage of weather, and despite not having as many sights, I don't for see us getting bored. Question though, I assume the ocean will be too cold to swim, but I honestly don't know? Do you think the cold weather in DC/NYC would make the trip too miserable, also we couldn't deal with getting stuck in a snow storm, we have to be back by a certain date. What would you guys do, is Houston a good city to visit, we will also be driving through Dallas and will probably spend a day there since I have some friends who live there. I'm definitely on the fence about which to visit, I'd really enjoy some warmer weather for a week, but I'd love to visit the capitol and NYC. I've never been to either city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 02:36 PM

607 posts, read 1,218,280 times
I've never been do Houston but I love DC and New York! This winter is supposed to be bad in DC, if you can believe the predictions, but it's been a pretty pleasant fall so I'm not sure how things will shake out. Only a few of the popular tourists are outside so as long as you stay somewhere centrally located while you're on the east coast, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:33 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,448,028 times
The weather can get dicey here in December, however most of the worst snowstorms have actually occurred in February. In the years I've lived here (15), I can only recall one with a huge snowstorm around Christmas. The advantage of coming here in December is you'll be able to visit the Smithsonian museums and National Gallery without bumping into people everywhere you go which is common during the summer. Also, you can see the National Christmas tree and they also have various displays from all the 50 states which is interesting. And of course there is no shortage of things to do and see in NYC. I usually go there three or four times a year myself.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:49 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,227,721 times
DC/NYC certainly has more to see and do than Houston. But this winter is supposed to be far snowier and colder than normal, and visiting during the holiday season is probably really expensive in NYC.

Houston's weather will be warmer, but still not warm, and certainly not warm enough for the beach. The Gulf is a bit far from Houston; it's not a beach city. But even so, that water will be freezing, and Texas beaches are ugly (dirty, and brown water that looks like the MS River).

Why not take a trip somewhere else? SoCal is supposed to be warmer than normal this winter, and there's a lot to see and do. Hiking, beaches (though the water will probably be cold too), museums, nightlife, landmarks, concerts, sports games, etc.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:40 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,188,830 times
They would be completely different vacations. imo NYC/DC are MUCH better places to visit than Houston/Dallas...the latter catch up a bit in terms of livability but for visiting it's not close at all. That said, driving to DC or NYC would be quite a risk as the possibility of snowfall could make it very difficult if not downright impossible to reach your destinations.

If you do make it to NYC then it's certainly a special experience during Christmastime. But for me, the prospect of driving would be a deal breaker and I'd head to TX. Note: Dallas can get quite chilly too!

Old 12-02-2014, 12:01 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,873,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Ok, so our family is going on a vacation in a couple weeks and we have decided on DC/New York vs Houston. As far as activities/sights go NYC/DC blow Houston out of the water, but considering the weather do you think it's a good idea to visit DC/New York during December, a couple weeks before Christmas? Either way we are driving, Houston is 13 hours vs 18 to DC, and another few to NYC. These destinations are the only options, the reason being is a little complicated, but it has to have a direct flight to Montreal, we aren't interested in any other city that has direct flights. Houston gets the advantage of weather, and despite not having as many sights, I don't for see us getting bored. Question though, I assume the ocean will be too cold to swim, but I honestly don't know? Do you think the cold weather in DC/NYC would make the trip too miserable, also we couldn't deal with getting stuck in a snow storm, we have to be back by a certain date. What would you guys do, is Houston a good city to visit, we will also be driving through Dallas and will probably spend a day there since I have some friends who live there. I'm definitely on the fence about which to visit, I'd really enjoy some warmer weather for a week, but I'd love to visit the capitol and NYC. I've never been to either city.
It's more like 5 hours or so, with about 1.5 to 2 hours of it sitting in traffic. It will be worse in rush hours or if you don't have an electronic EZ Pass transponder to bypass the toll booths.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:05 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,741,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
It's more like 5 hours or so, with about 1.5 to 2 hours of it sitting in traffic. It will be worse in rush hours or if you don't have an electronic EZ Pass transponder to bypass the toll booths.
Yes, driving from DC to New York can be anywhere from 5-7 hours, depending on traffic, especially during rush hour. iMO the Silver Spring, MD area is the worst! We once got stuck there for 3 hours due to nothing but sheer traffic volume.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:10 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,780,433 times
For me, this would be a no brainer. NY and DC are uninhabitable in the winter (I hate cold weather) and then you have the much longer drive. Also, staying in NY is VERY VERY expensive at Christmas time and might be totally booked up by now. Yes, the ocean will be too cold to swim for most people but go there anyway. Stop by the Space Center on the way to Galveston.

Go to NY or DC in the Spring or Fall.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:42 PM

605 posts, read 671,577 times
Houston is not exactly a tourist destination so if you are flying from another region in the country there are a lot of other options to visit. If you are looking for a tourist destination with warm weather I would highly suggest SOCAL or Florida.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:06 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,282,683 times
Houston is not a tourist destination. There are some neat things here, but the city is spread out. That being said, the winters are usually a lot milder than the northeast. Usually. San Antonio and the Hill Country are the touristy part of Texas. And Ft Worth has better things to see and do than Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel