Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:51 PM

12,047 posts, read 8,436,379 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for a new, not-too-touristy place to spend a month or two in the Caribbean and came across the island of Roatan on the map south of Belize and off the east coast of Central America. Can anyone tell me about their experiences visiting there?

I'm interested in everything - adventures, culture, food, cost of living, best area close to a good beach, whatever comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 10:02 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
I've never been there, but the tourists have definitely found it.

Roatan Tourism: 215 Things to Do in Roatan, Honduras | TripAdvisor

Old 11-20-2014, 05:12 AM

43,689 posts, read 44,435,568 times
My brother and his family together with our father visited Roatan when they were on a cruise. The photos I saw that they took there made it seem like a nice destination to visit.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:13 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,425,045 times
Safety is a huge concern in Honduras. Being an island, Roatan is geographically separate and stays out of the fray for the most part. Just be aware and make sure you do your research. I feel like many people think Honduras = happy beach place without realizing that it has one of the highest homicide rates in the world.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Safety is a huge concern in Honduras. Being an island, Roatan is geographically separate and stays out of the fray for the most part. Just be aware and make sure you do your research. I feel like many people think Honduras = happy beach place without realizing that it has one of the highest homicide rates in the world.
Yes. I've been reading some different sites about quality of life, safety, cost of living, etc. I notice many of the rentals mention that they are guarded which was my first tipoff that things might be a little rough there. Generally it appears that the majority of residents are expats from other countries. And several cruise ships stop there so I suspect there are good areas and less secure areas.

But then things are tough in Mexico also and I've been many times without incident. You have to do some research first about where you stay and practice safe habits. Any time you stay somewhere that attracts tourists it will have a group of people looking to take advantage.

It would be good to hear from someone who has actually experienced the island but I suppose that would be a small number of people, indeed.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:57 PM

989 posts, read 2,856,947 times
Spent a day there on a cruise. Hired a driver and toured the island. It is pretty but it is a bit rough around the edges. There was a relatively recent murder of a cruise worker over a cell phone. Our driver made it a point to tell us about their brothels and we were propositioned for drugs on the beach at the West End (the supposed nicest part of the island). We were also scoped for theft at the same beach- thankfully I was laying on our daypack and had my eyes open under my sunglasses. It's definitely not my favorite Caribbean island.

My favorite Caribbean island so far has been St. Kitts.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:34 PM

I haven't been to St. Kitts. It may be worth some research.

I'm not too bothered by the drug offers, the overselling or begging and have learned how to breeze through those. Funny story from a trip to Mexico with my daughter. She was offered drugs and when she said she didn't use them the dealer told her where to find the local AA meetings. Apparently they aim to please their clientele.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
It doesn't make much difference island you choose, most in the Caribbean and the gulf are going to have safety problems: just be aware of it. We have never stayed in Roatan but have stopped there on many cruises and remember when it was just a tiny stop that only a couple of lines bothered with, now it is a major touist and resort area. Personally we love it, would I want to stay there a month? Absolutely no. I will say, the snorkeling is the best we have even encountered and we have snorkeled all over the Caribbean and Hawaii. The peoiple are very friendly as well and love their island. Yes, it is part of Honduras but not nearly as crime ridden as the mainland. I think Roatan is probably our favorite island, we like Tortolla as well, but the people are not as friendly. St. Kitts, is great for a day or so, but certainly would not be at the top of my list by any means.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:31 AM

I enjoy snorkeling, too, and am interested in somewhere where the reef is more alive. Unfortunately in the northern areas along the coast of Southeastern Mexico pollution has been taking its toll.

Too many tourists. What a catch-22. The lifestyle has improved for the local populace at the price of the environment.

Soon the only conscientious thing to do will be to send charity and stay home and look at pictures on the 'net.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I enjoy snorkeling, too, and am interested in somewhere where the reef is more alive. Unfortunately in the northern areas along the coast of Southeastern Mexico pollution has been taking its toll.

Too many tourists. What a catch-22. The lifestyle has improved for the local populace at the price of the environment.

Soon the only conscientious thing to do will be to send charity and stay home and look at pictures on the 'net.
Talk about charity, for several years, tourists, on cruise ships would bring supplies to the school kids in Roatan. I am not sure this is still being done, but talking about the snorkeling it is clear water, beautiful coral and lots of awesome fish. Some are not huge, but just a lot of bright colors. The coral looks almost like little castles underwater. I think the drawback, is: there are so many more tourists the snokerling might not be as spectacular as in years past, but still probably among the best in the world. It is better than Beliz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel