Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 12:56 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times

Advertisements

I'm quite flexible in terms of schedule and itinerary and just want to see if I've missed anything.

Megabus and Amtrak are preferred but they appear to be entirely spoke routes out of a Chicago hub. Greyhound and Jefferson Lines buses seem to be the only options for cutting across the spokes, for example from MSP to KC. Any cheap airlines or other alternatives I don't know about? One-way car rentals inflate the prices from $15/day to $200/day. In particular I'd like the best way to get from MSP to STL.

Trip Details: Will be in Chicago beginning of June and Vancouver in mid-July. I would like to visit friends/family in MN at some point. I'm extremely interested in Calgary/Banff/Edmonton and mildly interested in America's heartland (Des Moines, Omaha, STL, KC, etc) Suggestions?? MSP-STL is beneficial because there are really cheap flights from STL to Alberta, Canada.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 08:38 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,496 times
Everything cheap will go through Chicago. I'd take spirit air from MSP to Chicago, then amtrak from Chicago to STL. If you time it right you can get the flight for $40 and the train for $30.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:29 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,896 times
The best way to see the Midwest is by car. Train/bus will get you from hub to hub, but once you're there you'll need a car.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
I caution you to take a look at MegaBus's safety record before using them. Use caution with Spirit as their fees will often eat up any savings.

That aside, how do you plan to get from YYC to Banff? From YYC to SEA I would take the train. The scenery is stunning.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Everything cheap will go through Chicago. I'd take spirit air from MSP to Chicago, then amtrak from Chicago to STL. If you time it right you can get the flight for $40 and the train for $30.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
The best way to see the Midwest is by car. Train/bus will get you from hub to hub, but once you're there you'll need a car.
You are probably right but my first interest is to see the cities and experience the urban areas/transit. So I'd rather park the rental car and only use it between cities if I were to have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I caution you to take a look at MegaBus's safety record before using them. Use caution with Spirit as their fees will often eat up any savings.

That aside, how do you plan to get from YYC to Banff? From YYC to SEA I would take the train. The scenery is stunning.
You are right on both accounts. But I've taken Megabus many times and obviously am willing to take the risk. I have heard great things about the train there...but it's also expensive, takes a very long time, and only runs one or two days a week iirc. So, we'll see...

To Banff I figure either rent a car or take a bus?

Old 11-16-2014, 01:14 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Thanks for the suggestion.

You are probably right but my first interest is to see the cities and experience the urban areas/transit. So I'd rather park the rental car and only use it between cities if I were to have one.

You are right on both accounts. But I've taken Megabus many times and obviously am willing to take the risk. I have heard great things about the train there...but it's also expensive, takes a very long time, and only runs one or two days a week iirc. So, we'll see...

To Banff I figure either rent a car or take a bus?
I would rent a car. There are a lot of places you'll want to stop and get out and see along the way, plus you'll want to go up to the Icefields.

Actually I would suggest an SUV so you are high enough to have a better view.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:02 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I'm quite flexible in terms of schedule and itinerary and just want to see if I've missed anything.

Megabus and Amtrak are preferred but they appear to be entirely spoke routes out of a Chicago hub. Greyhound and Jefferson Lines buses seem to be the only options for cutting across the spokes, for example from MSP to KC. Any cheap airlines or other alternatives I don't know about? One-way car rentals inflate the prices from $15/day to $200/day. In particular I'd like the best way to get from MSP to STL.

I have done Megabus 25+ times and have had no problems after the first month of service. It is operated by Coach USA, one of the largest bus operators in the world. You are right. They are spoked out of Chicago. Your best deals on Megabus are 45+ days out. I have had $3 RT fares between Chicago and Minneapolis and between Chicago and Nashville.

I am away from my home computer so I don't have all my bus links handy. In addition to Jefferson Lines, you have Badger Lines that serves Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan. You have the Lakefront Lines which operate out of Cleveland. You also have the Indian Trails Lines that service the state of Michigan.

As for car rentals, you are not thinking about it correctly IMO. Forget one-way rentals. The ONLY time you get deals on those is if the car companies want the cars moved to where you are going.

There are two ways of getting a cheap car rental in the Midwest. First, NEVER rent at the airport. At the two Chicago airports, you will pay 28%+ in taxes; rent at a neighborhood location and the taxes and fees are closer to 10%.

Also, I would suggest that you use the buses between cities and rent only when you can return it to the first location. Often, we will plan our trips in a big circle so as to return the car to the same city.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:35 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Megabus is great. Just used them again two weeks ago to get to/from NYC. Never an issue.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel