Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 05:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times

Advertisements

I know many of us have done both, some only one or neither: my question; which do you prefer or do you have a preference, based on activities, food and cost?

Here are my thoughts: we have done both, we have enjoyed both, but for all around variety, food and cost we prefer cruising. We get to see more, we have a better selection of food and the entertainment is far superior.
AI do have a place. we have a younger daughter who hates cruising, but loves AI.

difference in price is another reason we lean toward cruising. The truly nice AI can be very pricey. Of course the flip side of this is free booze at AI. For those of us who enjoy our cocktails and wine the cost can really amount up fast on a cruise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 05:43 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,757,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know many of us have done both, some only one or neither: my question; which do you prefer or do you have a preference, based on activities, food and cost?

Here are my thoughts: we have done both, we have enjoyed both, but for all around variety, food and cost we prefer cruising. We get to see more, we have a better selection of food and the entertainment is far superior.
AI do have a place. we have a younger daughter who hates cruising, but loves AI.

difference in price is another reason we lean toward cruising. The truly nice AI can be very pricey. Of course the flip side of this is free booze at AI. For those of us who enjoy our cocktails and wine the cost can really amount up fast on a cruise.
For me as I've done both, cruising wins. I will not fly to cruise either but will sail out of NYC or Bayonne NJ.
Many cruise lines offer booze packages now, where you pay an up front amount, so no sticker shock at end of cruise...lol.

I do like AI's, done them in Jamaica, Cancun and Cabo. Usually Riu or Sandals but for value especially for me with no airfare cruising wins.

Last edited by njkate; 11-12-2014 at 06:50 AM..

Old 11-12-2014, 08:30 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,889,028 times
I've never done an AI. Husband has, when he was MUCH younger, with my predecessor. I personally would enjoy an easy alternative to cruising, so my questions are being asked seriously.

These days, neither of us are going parasailing, sailboarding, and other physically demanding activities. That eliminates many of the advantages and free offerings from AI's doesn't it? I mean, we can't just lay on a beach all day, so what other activities are available?

At night, we don't dance, but enjoy bars and shows and long,leisurely dinners (on cruises, at home and on land vacations). How does an AI accommodate those preferences?

We are senior citizens (72 and 58). Our preference is to vacation with adults of similar age, and with not too many young children running about. My impression from advertisements is that AI resorts are geared to younger adults (21-40ish) and\or families with children. Are there any AI's that might appeal to our preferences?

Old 11-12-2014, 08:49 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,309,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've never done an AI. Husband has, when he was MUCH younger, with my predecessor. I personally would enjoy an easy alternative to cruising, so my questions are being asked seriously.

These days, neither of us are going parasailing, sailboarding, and other physically demanding activities. That eliminates many of the advantages and free offerings from AI's doesn't it? I mean, we can't just lay on a beach all day, so what other activities are available?

At night, we don't dance, but enjoy bars and shows and long,leisurely dinners (on cruises, at home and on land vacations). How does an AI accommodate those preferences?

We are senior citizens (72 and 58). Our preference is to vacation with adults of similar age, and with not too many young children running about. My impression from advertisements is that AI resorts are geared to younger adults (21-40ish) and\or families with children. Are there any AI's that might appeal to our preferences?

You can't lay on the beach all day? Why not? That was my favorite part and I was not alone (though the beach was very uncrowded) This is my #1 reason for not wanting to cruise. I liked being able to decide what we would do that day at my leisure. On my schedule.

The resort we went to (AI in Puerto Vallarta) had a buffet that was open for all meals, and 4 restaurants that were full service restaurants for dinner that you made reservations for. You could have your long leisurely meals there, or in the buffet. No one rushes you to leave. You can have wine or a cocktail with dinner if you like at all places and coffee at the end if you prefer.

There were also several bars on the property and a nightly show that varied each evening. There was a circus show, music shows, etc. Pretty good if you like that sort of thing.

There are also adults only resorts in addition to those that are geared for couples only.

There were other things going on like yoga on the beach that we weren't interested in, but we did take a guided tour of the kitchen which was very interesting and included some tasting. For an additional cost you could also join a tour off-property to various attractions. We chose to rent a car one day and explore , again, so we could be on OUR schedule and see what we wanted to see. We went to a tequilla distillery and walked the boardwalk and downtown Puerto Vallarta, and stopped to enjoy some breathtaking views of the ocean.

I have to add that this was my first trip to such a place and I was afraid I would be BORED. I never thought I could lay on the beach all day as I like to be on the go. But, it took my just ONE day to adapt, and can't wait for our next trip to do nothing all day

Old 11-12-2014, 09:33 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,438,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

The booze isn't free. You are paying for it with that high ticket price, even if you don't drink.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
The booze isn't free. You are paying for it with that high ticket price, even if you don't drink.

I did a quick search for cruises to see what they cost. I found an 8 day (the length of our AI stay) cruise to Bermuda (randomly selected but a place I would like to go) for next October and it averaged anywhere from $900-$1600 per person without any extras added (like the booze package). If I choose a balcony room which gives a similar ocean view to the resort we went to, it is $2800 for 2 people. Without airfare to get to the port the ship sails from. Once you add the flights and booze, that would be much more than we paid for 8 days in Puerto Vallarta including airfare to and from.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:08 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,889,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I did a quick search for cruises to see what they cost. I found an 8 day (the length of our AI stay) cruise to Bermuda (randomly selected but a place I would like to go) for next October and it averaged anywhere from $900-$1600 per person without any extras added (like the booze package). If I choose a balcony room which gives a similar ocean view to the resort we went to, it is $2800 for 2 people. Without airfare to get to the port the ship sails from. Once you add the flights and booze, that would be much more than we paid for 8 days in Puerto Vallarta including airfare to and from.
Like I said, cruising is the one time you really need a Travel Agent. We've did $299 for 7 days per person with a balcony in October. Our rather extensive bar bill added $301 to the tab. We're doing 16 days with an all inclusive alcohol package for $1200 pp through the panama canal in December, again in a balcony. (I admit, both of these cases were booked at lower end cabins, but we were upgraded to balcony on both trips.)

We get you don't want to cruise ElleTea. But it's not necessary to convince everyone that they should dislike it too, or to mislead with prices that are not completely researched.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Like I said, cruising is the one time you really need a Travel Agent. We've did $299 for 7 days per person with a balcony in October. Our rather extensive bar bill added $301 to the tab. We're doing 16 days with an all inclusive alcohol package for $1200 pp through the panama canal in December, again in a balcony. (I admit, both of these cases were booked at lower end cabins, but we were upgraded to balcony on both trips.)

We get you don't want to cruise ElleTea. But it's not necessary to convince everyone that they should dislike it too, or to mislead with prices that are not completely researched.
Cruise if you want, or don't . I was just saying what I found on a "quick search" as stated in my post. To match the standard already set by my limited experience at an AI, I would have to pay too much to cruise. Not trying to "convince" you or anyone else, this is JMO/E. (that should go without saying, really )

I wouldn't use a travel agent, either, but that's just me. That is one profession I wouldn't like to be in as their days are surely numbered!

$1200 pp with airfare or without?

Old 11-12-2014, 12:20 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,491,047 times
I'd rather cruise.

I like the pricing of cruises. I don't drink, and hubby doesn't drink much, so all-the-alcohol-you-can-drink isn't really a selling point for us. ElleTea, which cruise line were you looking at? I paid $1400 per person for a balcony in October on Disney...on Carnival I got one for <$800 per person. I don't generally cruise the fancier lines (Celebrity, etc).

To me, cruising is pretty much me doing whatever I want on my schedule. Some ports I don't even get off the ship. I get to decide whether to spend my time lounging on my balcony, lounging by the pool, lounging on another deck where it's quieter, playing board games in a lounge overlooking the ocean, joining a trivia session, taking a spa treatment, exercising in the gym, overlooking the ocean, etc.

We also enjoy being able to cruise to/from places we might have otherwise visited. I've cruised out of Seattle, Florida, Texas, and Puerto Rico. I've seen a lot of countries that I otherwise wouldn't have visited, and found several I want to spend more time in (so my next cruise went back there).

Old 11-12-2014, 12:28 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,438,444 times
Quote:

Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel