Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 07:54 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
you won't see Everest from the base camp, but bring a garbage bag and carry out some of the trash with you
From the Tibet one you absolutely can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 09:35 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,988,924 times
It stuns me how awful the travel information is on this site.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:43 AM

169 posts, read 124,150 times
Because it is there.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:41 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
my question would be why not ? if you can safely and are able I think it would be wonderful . Of course I am one of those people that hangs off of a cliff to get that perfect picture and hang over water too . My husband always says I make him crazy doing that stuff cause he cant swim and he would never be able to grab me quick enough should something happen and it is like I tell him , should something happen I died doing what I love and you should respect that ...

Old 11-12-2014, 06:31 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,364 times
I would prefer the Annapurna Trek if i would have the possibility.
Mt. Everest has the name factor, everybody wants to hike to the highest peak. Everybody wants to say that they have been there.
But other Mountains like Annapurna are imo more beautiful and impressive.
And there are a lot less people.

Annapurna Expedition | BOLD Adventures Nepal
Annapurna Massiv

Annapurna Mountain (id: 101293) | WallPho.com
Machapucharé

Old 11-12-2014, 07:57 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
I would prefer the Annapurna Trek if i would have the possibility.
Mt. Everest has the name factor, everybody wants to hike to the highest peak. Everybody wants to say that they have been there.
But other Mountains like Annapurna are imo more beautiful and impressive.
And there are a lot less people.

Annapurna Expedition | BOLD Adventures Nepal
Annapurna Massiv

Annapurna Mountain (id: 101293) | WallPho.com
Machapucharé
I've done a lot of reading on Nepal lately and to me it seems people head to the Annapurna range because it is a lot more accessible, but people who have done both seem to believe the Everest area treks are better for mastiff scenery. No doubt the Annapurnas are super beautiful though. Machapuchare is one of the coolest looking, and I think Kanchengjunga is the most intimidating-looking.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:59 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Note here: The OP of course was a spammer.
I've been to Nepal twice, on the Everest trail once. There was a post I contributed to on the Everest trail in the Asia forum. Ironically, you can get better travel info on the Asia forum then here. This forum here seems more interested in polls.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:58 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Don't sell CD short. The information on most topics is pretty awful.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:23 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
This is not really a travel forum, it's a "travel-lite" topic forum for entertainment value only. I would never use this forum to gain information besides very basic advice or opinions. You can see from the quality of the topics - wait until the seasonal "how do I drive from Boston to Chicago"-type threads start appearing. There are other dedicated forums for real travel information on the interweb (Want to go to France? There are dedicated French travel forums. There are probably several forums and websites dedicated to Nepal and Everest)

Old 11-12-2014, 11:22 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,644 times
While I am not taking anything away from those who want to make the trek to Everest BC, or even the summit itself, I personally just can't get my heart into somewhere where everyone else goes, just because its _______.

Luckily, my bucket list of on-foot treks are in the Bahamas......

Noooooo, not the Atlantis or Nassau, but the FAR OUT ISLANDS of Mayaguana and Great Inagua.

I'm talking beaches that you are practically GUARENTEED not to see a single other soul on, as they are visited, maybe once a year.......MAYBE that often!!

To get to the one on Mayaguana, you have to drive 8 miles on an overgrown path, which might not seem like far, but takes 55 minutes, even in a pick-up truck. Once there, you walk ANOTHER 7 miles each way to get to this beach, known as Long Bay!!

Then there is the other one on Great Inagua, about 100 miles South of Mayaguana and just 60 miles NW of Haiti.....

To get to this one, you drive 60 miles each way on a 4WD path, which takes about 6 hrs. Once there, you walk another 13 miles (8 hrs) before reaching Northeast Point. Here, you are 14 hours from the nearest accommodation, on a beach where time stands still.

Again, just like Mayaguana, you probably would see someone here once a year if you are lucky. Probably every 5 years more like it!!

I'll take this ANYDAY over a trek to Everest BC where everyone wants to go just because its.......well..... Everest!!

I didn't even mention, on the Inagua beach trek, you are going to be carrying 50 or more pounds of water on your back because there is NO freshwater anywhere here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel