Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 04:18 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,544,982 times

Advertisements

Norwegian rules for cheap fares, but it comes at the cost of probably at least $7 anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 04:57 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,029,728 times
As much as we used to complain about them, I really miss airplane meals! Even the paid ones aren't always available now, as I learned recently on my trip to/from Boston. The outbound flight was a red-eye direct from San Jose to Logan, so I kind of understood not serving a meal on that (even though I personally didn't sleep). Then our flight home was also direct, ~6 hours long, and left RIGHT around dinner time. While I did bring some munchies with me, I also expected to have those "fresh and ready" meals they'd advertised for like $10... but apparently they only offer those on Logan-SFO flights, even though the trip to San Jose is a tad longer. WTH??

This was on JetBlue, which also advertises free WiFi that was broken on the way there, and not available (again due to being SJ instead of SFO) on the way home. Total nonsense IMO, as I don't know how they could think a bag of dry pretzels = a meal suitable for cross-country flights. Thankfully I'm not a big eater, but from now on I'll bring more than just munchies/candy on these flights.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:28 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,784,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Did you stop to think that some of those people were on connections? Earlier this week I got on a flight at 5:30-ish in the morning. I didn't eat before I began my trip. I had a 26 minute connection--not exactly enough time to stop and eat someplace. Once my second flight got in the air around 7:30 am I was really hungry--having had been up around five hours at that point. I pulled out the fruit and yogurt I had stopped to buy at the airport and ate it. So sad, too bad to anyone who took issue with it.
Ah, see, but you bought it in the airport. Probably better choices and slightly less expensive than things purchased ON THE PLANE. That's what I did not understand...buying things ON THE PLANE.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:29 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momzdrm View Post
Got on a recent Toronto to San Francisco flight, starving. Thinking it was international they would have meal service-- wrong!

Bought sandwich & pringles. Got conversion fee on credit card & food was so awful, that I just took a few bites & done. (Pringles are not a chip that I enjoy)

Ever since then I carry a note on my iPhone of things to bring with me on plane for over 4-5 hour flights, since I seem to go brain dead when I'm trying to think of something to grab & take. Now I always have a baggies of baby carrots, baggie of peeled & sectioned oranges, turkey sandwich, pretzels, etc. Also most airports have McDonalds & tho I'd never go to one on land, their yogurt parfait & their grilled chicken wrap are wonderful! (Grab lots of napkins, last bite is messy)

If I have an early flight, before leaving home I grab a disposable container, fill it with cereal, grab plastic spoon & yogurt. Flight attendant will provide milk for cereal & coffee.... Perfect!

I will Never buy food on a flight again.
The cereal idea is very good. I'll have to try that. I don't really like the food on flights very much.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:30 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,784,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Just buy a bag of McDonalds and take it on the airplane like a normal person. Sheesh.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:55 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,120,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Have not had a decent meal in coach in many years. Meals in first class have ranged from fair to quite tasty. My only complaints are the airlines seem to think everyone wants eggs for breakfast and they think people must really love raspberry vinaigrette salad dressing.
My last few flights with a breakfast have offered a choice of an egg dish or a choice of cereal or yogurt and fruit cup. I've never seen only eggs offered.

I also haven't seen raspberry vinaigrette in years. Usually it's ranch or balsamic, sometimes even a choice of the two.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Ah, see, but you bought it in the airport. Probably better choices and slightly less expensive than things purchased ON THE PLANE. That's what I did not understand...buying things ON THE PLANE.
Sometimes you don't have the time to buy something at the airport when you have a tight connection.

I'm not sure why this is so upsetting to you.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
The cereal idea is very good. I'll have to try that. I don't really like the food on flights very much.
Milk is definitely not catered onto most flights into the economy section.

If you want to go that route I'd suggest trying to buy it at the airport in the sterile concourse.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:20 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,452,799 times
As hard as it may be to believe the quality of food on international flights have improved greatly in the last decade, after taking a nosedive in the 1990s. I fly Emirates and Qatar frequently and the food is quite pleasant. In Business it's even enjoyable. Our meals on our flight on Singapore Airways last week was also pleasant. We flew Air Austria in August and they provided us with hot rolls and the mains were, if indifferent, definitely not bad.

That said, I do remember the good old days when even a short domestic flight came with a full meal. The meal might have been crap but at least it was hot and we got free drinks.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:13 AM

43,776 posts, read 44,546,405 times
It is now cheaper to buy food at the airport than on a flying aircraft if one doesn't have the inclination to bring food from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel