Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 12:50 PM

4,295 posts, read 4,839,621 times

Advertisements

So I just got back from a 5 day vacation and I'm depressed. Maybe because I went from sunny South Beach back here to Chicago. It's been a really really ROUGH day.

Maybe part of it is 5 days wasn't really enough and it's been 16 months since my last vacation from work. My grandfather said something to me earlier this year before he passed a few months ago...along the lines of "sk...if travel is something you like to do, I suggest you start to incorporate more of it into your life...now." And it is something I enjoy. And I'm 35 now...so I think he was right. I'm a leisure travel type of person...give me a beautiful beach with gorgeous water and sand and good places to eat and I'm good. A little culture is great, and some Spanish speaking residents wherever I'm visiting. I love love LOVE the ocean

Anyways, I had the idea of working in a different state maybe 2 or 3 months out of the year....is this possible? This is kind of wishful thinking that my company would let me do this but hey, people work remotely from home here a lot...why not?

I also had the idea of maybe renting out my second bedroom to someone to have more money to travel with, but I'd have to open my house up to someone I don't know...and share my bathroom with them Actually I think my biggest hindrance is time...I'm realizing if I could get in a short (4 day?) beach trip every 2-3 months, I'd be okay I think. I'd have SOMETHING to look forward to. But could I fit in travel that often with my current job? I don't think so...not with the amount of time off I get annually

This last trip, I did a Wed-Tues and upon returning to work today my boss mentioned I maybe should have done a Mon-Fri so I'd have 2 weekends off and I believe she was totally right because the trip felt more like 2 days than 5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 04:09 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,762,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
So I just got back from a 5 day vacation and I'm depressed. Maybe because I went from sunny South Beach back here to Chicago. It's been a really really ROUGH day.

Maybe part of it is 5 days wasn't really enough and it's been 16 months since my last vacation from work. My grandfather said something to me earlier this year before he passed a few months ago...along the lines of "sk...if travel is something you like to do, I suggest you start to incorporate more of it into your life...now." And it is something I enjoy. And I'm 35 now...so I think he was right. I'm a leisure travel type of person...give me a beautiful beach with gorgeous water and sand and good places to eat and I'm good. A little culture is great, and some Spanish speaking residents wherever I'm visiting. I love love LOVE the ocean

Anyways, I had the idea of working in a different state maybe 2 or 3 months out of the year....is this possible? This is kind of wishful thinking that my company would let me do this but hey, people work remotely from home here a lot...why not?

I also had the idea of maybe renting out my second bedroom to someone to have more money to travel with, but I'd have to open my house up to someone I don't know...and share my bathroom with them Actually I think my biggest hindrance is time...I'm realizing if I could get in a short (4 day?) beach trip every 2-3 months, I'd be okay I think. I'd have SOMETHING to look forward to. But could I fit in travel that often with my current job? I don't think so...not with the amount of time off I get annually

This last trip, I did a Wed-Tues and upon returning to work today my boss mentioned I maybe should have done a Mon-Fri so I'd have 2 weekends off and I believe she was totally right because the trip felt more like 2 days than 5
I feel your pain! I visited the Bahamas this summer (remote islands, not Nassau/Atlantis) and I am spoiled rotten in that everywhere I go now (in New England) I compare it to those perfect beaches (with pink sand!) in the Bahama Out Islands.

Good suggestion to take a 9 day trip while having to use only 5 days of PTO.

How much vac a do you get annually? A 4 day trip every 3 months seems quite reasonable, esp if you can straddle a weekend. Its so pathetic that every developed country except the US get at least 3-4 weeks.

I'm personally lucky that I get 6 weeks (including sick time though), but it still make me mad that others in the US aren't so lucky.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:47 PM

6,416 posts, read 6,375,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post

How much vac a do you get annually? A 4 day trip every 3 months seems quite reasonable, esp if you can straddle a weekend. Its so pathetic that every developed country except the US get at least 3-4 weeks.

I'm personally lucky that I get 6 weeks (including sick time though), but it still make me mad that others in the US aren't so lucky.
The time we get here is extremely frustrating to me too!!

This is one of the many reasons I went the self employment route. Even still, I ship things and without an assistant, i need to hurry home to ship.

I've worked at places where i had 2 weeks of vacation and u r encouraged NOT to take it and just get paid the money! *pft!* So when I did take it, i sensed a lot of resentment.

Good luck getting an employer to let you work away 2 months of the year. I was never successful w it! Think it depends on the industry.

If you find the right roommate, it's not a bad idea. Just look for someone who works out of home a lot. Even those who "party" a lot are not often home. Just make sure they clean up when they are!

Old 10-16-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I feel your pain! I visited the Bahamas this summer (remote islands, not Nassau/Atlantis) and I am spoiled rotten in that everywhere I go now (in New England) I compare it to those perfect beaches (with pink sand!) in the Bahama Out Islands.

Good suggestion to take a 9 day trip while having to use only 5 days of PTO.

This is exactly what I was thinking about all day yesterday. I get three weeks (15 days). But I live in Chicago and my family lives in SC, so I usually use two weeks to go home and see them only once a year during Christmas.

How do I travel with that kind of time off? I guess I could cut back on the holiday time with family but that would kinda suck :/

Most people at my job work from home 1-2 days a week. Once I get my work from home day, I was thinking about asking to 'save them up' and work remotely 1 week a month or 2 weeks every other month. Wishful thinking I know, but I'm realizing I don't think I like being in one place for too long. I like my job but don't love where I live. I keep feeling the 'need to get away', and only have a trip booked or travel planned relieves me of this feeling.

Maybe the issue is I need the kind of career that allows me to move around..?

Old 10-16-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

This is one of the many reasons I went the self employment route. Even still, I ship things and without an assistant, i need to hurry home to ship.

I've worked at places where i had 2 weeks of vacation and u r encouraged NOT to take it and just get paid the money! *pft!* So when I did take it, i sensed a lot of resentment.

Good luck getting an employer to let you work away 2 months of the year. I was never successful w it! Think it depends on the industry.

If you find the right roommate, it's not a bad idea. Just look for someone who works out of home a lot. Even those who "party" a lot are not often home. Just make sure they clean up when they are!
So you became an entrepreneur primarily so you could have the flexibility to live where you wanted? That's pretty badass. If you don't mind me asking, what industry do you work in now? Do you find that you move around a lot?

I think the roommate thing isn't a bad idea to generate a little more money for travel..it's finding a way to make the time to do it that's a bigger issue for me right now I think.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:16 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,762,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking about all day yesterday. I get three weeks (15 days). But I live in Chicago and my family lives in SC, so I usually use two weeks to go home and see them only once a year during Christmas.

How do I travel with that kind of time off? I guess I could cut back on the holiday time with family but that would kinda suck :/

Most people at my job work from home 1-2 days a week. Once I get my work from home day, I was thinking about asking to 'save them up' and work remotely 1 week a month or 2 weeks every other month. Wishful thinking I know, but I'm realizing I don't think I like being in one place for too long. I like my job but don't love where I live. I keep feeling the 'need to get away', and only have a trip booked or travel planned relieves me of this feeling.

Maybe the issue is I need the kind of career that allows me to move around..?
Ahhh, heck, just cut back the family time to 1 week, and use the extra week to travel somwhere tropical

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

Yea, I want to know too what industry! I don't know how much it would help my situation, since the kind of traveling I do is to the remote islands in the far southern Bahamas, where the internet connection is not that great!

Old 10-16-2014, 07:29 AM

19,506 posts, read 28,227,283 times
This doesn't sound like a travel issue. It sounds more like a potential relocation issue.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:34 AM

12,145 posts, read 23,554,998 times
Does your family ever come visit you? That would save a little vacation time.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,984 posts, read 58,905,484 times
Get a job that pays you to travel.

I was fortunate to have 5 international assignments; 4 with my family in tow. We homeschooled and took lots of 6 - 12 week field trips.

I made it a habit to take a few months without pay every yr.

Book your flights on busy days and take a volunteer bump, so you get free benefits to travel more.

I have a 52 mpg station wagon, as well as a 20 mpg RV. that helps.

As a younger person, I was gone every chance I had on a travel adventure (usually once / month). summers 1/ week.

I have used hospitality guest homes for 25+ yrs... $10/ night worldwide.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Does your family ever come visit you? That would save a little vacation time.
Nope. lol Well, my mom has once...but keep in mind I have to pay for everything so that takes away from money I could save to go somewhere. But it's my mom, so can't really put a price on time with her <3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel