Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 12:20 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,886,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Yes, the nature is beautiful but is it really more relaxing than say simply lying on your couch? I simply don't get it. Is it worth the price and trouble to fly all the way, rushing between airports and hotels, and then just do nothing?
IMO no. But for me the beaches in San Diego are only a 5 hr drive away and we go there at least 3 or 4 times a year. So my perspective might be different then someone that lives in say....Minneapolis or St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 05:10 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,295,790 times
I like trips to be a combination of doing things and hanging out. I've taken trips where I spent two days here, three days there, etc., and trips where I stayed in one place for 1-2 weeks, ventured out to do different things each day and returned to my home-away-from-home each night.

I also enjoyed hanging out because the place was vastly different from where I live; just looking out the window day or night was a totally different experience from what I see at home.

Traveling can be somewhat tedious (lines, security, etc.), but I've also enjoyed train and plane trips where just getting someplace turned out to be one of the highlights of the vacation.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:29 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,624,986 times
Quote:
I can even imagine spend $1 "traveling" in any Caribbean countries. Their popularity in the winter simply baffles me... why do people even go there?

If I want a beach, I fly to Spain or Italy. Yes it is more expensive but there is a lot more to enjoy than just ocean and beaches. Lying on the beach for an hour, then what, keep lying there until the sun goes down? The next day, do the same thing?
ive gone to the caribbean several times and i dont believe i have ever lied on the beach. there is plenty to do in the caribbean. whereas going to spain/italy in the winter for beach would be dreadful.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:06 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,083,999 times
Generally every vacation we take we follow an every-other-day rule. One day of relaxing and then one day of adventure. It's not a hard and fast rule, just something we've developed over time. This started before kids and continues on today.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,693,123 times
Two types of travel for me (not counting business travel, of course): 1. explore a place and see museums, cathedrals, local culture . . . 2. veg out on a beach in the Caribbean, with someone handing me frou frou drinks, while I watch the water change colors and think/dream/meditate/sleep

So we either make the hateful flight to Europe (haven't done that in quite a while) or take a cruise, where there are no responsibilities, no cooking, no clean up, no phone calls, etc.

Travel in the USA is usually a long weekend trip and to visit historic spots/museums. That is not particularly relaxing but it is fun.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:27 AM

14,228 posts, read 30,131,527 times
To me, all travel is relaxing. The relaxing part is being totally out of your day to day usual activities. Doesn't matter if it's lazy or action packed. Just escaping the daily grind is rejuvenating to me!

Old 10-09-2014, 11:33 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,562,948 times
My travels are a mix. Safaris in Africa, walking through medieval villages in France, bike riding in Belgium, museums, historic sites, etc. All can be fun, interesting, adventures, or relaxing. The most relaxing though is going somewhere warm in the winter. This winter we'll spend two months on an island in Thailand. Most of the time will be very relaxing - swimming in a pool or the sea, kayaking, visiting Buddhist temples, sitting on the beach under an umbrella reading a book and sipping a cocktail. Just being in the warm (30C/86F) sunshine in the winter is a treat all by itself.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:51 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,059,091 times
Quote:
I know there are two types of trips. One is to explore and experience cultures and sceneries one has never seen before. One is to get out of the city to relax (and do nothing).

Although I don't fully understand the latter. Many flock to those beach resorts and lie under the sun doing nothing. Yes, the nature is beautiful but is it really more relaxing than say simply lying on your couch? I simply don't get it. Is it worth the price and trouble to fly all the way, rushing between airports and hotels, and then just do nothing?

When I travel, I walk and do all kinds of things everyday. And at the end of the day, I am always tired but satisfied because I saw something new, learned something different. If I want to relax, I will stay home watching some movies with an ice cream in hand.
I don't understand this kind of traveling at all. I've spent some time relaxing on a beach but maybe only for a day. Otherwise I prefer to explore. I may not have a beach at home but if all I want to do is lay around I can do it at home for free. While I don't need to be stimulated every minute of a vacation and don't need to have every hour planned, I also don't want to do nothing all the time.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:07 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,702,217 times
Relaxing is easier said than done, but I think I usually have a better chance of doing that when I go on vacation or when I travel. It's not just the rest itself, it's the fact that I'm able to clear my head of extraneous nonsense and just enjoy myself. Whether it's seeing new sights, relaxing on the beach, or eating great food, it can all equate to relaxation.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:11 PM

9,546 posts, read 16,609,026 times
Travelling use to be a way to relax. In this day and age I think travelling can be very stressful Which is a shame. Sometimes it's more relaxing to just stay home, or take a day trip and that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel