Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 06:18 AM

44,188 posts, read 45,044,104 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine why someone needs to travel with 12 pairs of shoes. I don't think I have ever traveled with more than 5-6 pairs at the very most and then it would have been for an extended trip with different weather variations. Having said that I pack shoes in reusable plastic bags and insert them between different articles of clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 08:29 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,939,181 times
12 pairs of shoes! OMG! all I own right now are a pair of slippers, a pair of tongs, a pair of running shoes,a pair of hiking shoes and a pair of tennis shoes.As I have to buy right now a pair of black suede shoes for a funeral ceremony, I'm already worried about their price tag.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:50 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,314,309 times
There is absolutely ZERO reason to need 12 pair of shoes.

You need one pair of dressy shoes for dinners and business attire, one pair of boots or sandals depending on the weather, one pair of sneakers if you will be working out. That's it. For a month or more. Maybe if you are going to a resort in a colder climate with an indoor pool you need a pair of flat flip flops to get to and from the pool.

Shoes are heavy and you'll probably end up paying $100 in overweight bag fees to take them all. I don't know about you, but I've got better ways to spend my money.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:29 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,400,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There is absolutely ZERO reason to need 12 pair of shoes.

You need one pair of dressy shoes for dinners and business attire, one pair of boots or sandals depending on the weather, one pair of sneakers if you will be working out. That's it. For a month or more. Maybe if you are going to a resort in a colder climate with an indoor pool you need a pair of flat flip flops to get to and from the pool.

Shoes are heavy and you'll probably end up paying $100 in overweight bag fees to take them all. I don't know about you, but I've got better ways to spend my money.

I am going to Mexico soon, staying at a resort. I will be taking more pairs of flip flops alone than the entire list you gave above. I can't imagine ever going away even for a WEEKEND with only one pair of dressy shoes, one pair of casual shoes, and a pair of sneakers! That simply isn't enough.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,314,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I am going to Mexico soon, staying at a resort. I will be taking more pairs of flip flops alone than the entire list you gave above. I can't imagine ever going away even for a WEEKEND with only one pair of dressy shoes, one pair of casual shoes, and a pair of sneakers! That simply isn't enough.
It IS enough, I do it every time I travel, which is weekly. You choose to not make it enough. There's a difference between want and need.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:46 AM

3,275 posts, read 5,053,952 times
"Enough" is in the eye of the beholder. For just about any trip, including a cruise, I take one pair of dressy shoes, a good pair of walking shoes (Asics Gel Kayano), and sturdy flip-flops (Orthaheel). That's "enough" for me.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It IS enough, I do it every time I travel, which is weekly. You choose to not make it enough. There's a difference between want and need.

Enough for you, yes.

I need to take more than just 3 pairs of shoes. One pair of dressy shoes won't cut it, for example. I have various outfits that require different shoes. If I didn't "need" them all, why did I even buy more than just 3 pairs to begin with?

My nude wedge sandals with the cork heel would work well with my green dress, but when I wear my purple dress I like to wear my black and white strappy shoes with the leopard print strap. When I wear my black dress I like to wear my leopard platform wedges. That is 3 pairs right there.

For casual, I have silver sandals that go with that outfit, red ones that go with this outfit, and black ones that go with the other outfit. 3 more pairs.

I have different flip flops that I like to wear with different swim suits, too. So that could eaily be 3 or 4 more pairs.

We are now up to 9 or 10.

I also have a pair of closed toe slip ons that I wear to walk on the beach instead of flip flops. And if I want "real walking shoes?" Then I need those as well.

12. And I am sure I could think of more. I have been away from home and worn more than one pair on a given day because of the activities of that day. I like to have OPTIONS. Plus, you never know what you will be in the mood for once you get there. I hate to be limited because I didn't bring more than one choice.

Life is too short to wear the same pair of shoes for every outfit How BORING!

Old 10-01-2014, 09:55 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,655,808 times
When I travel, I take one black pair, one neutral pair, and some flip-flops. Maybe some heels if a formal event is expected. If you are going to a resort in Mexico, take one nice pair of neutral color sandals (bronze, pewter, silver) and an older pair for the sand. That is ALL you will need.

The grocery bag thing is the easiest. If you sew, you can very easily make little bags from old t-shirts. I saw on Pinterest a tip for putting pairs of shoes in cheap shower caps.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
When I travel, I take one black pair, one neutral pair, and some flip-flops. Maybe some heels if a formal event is expected. If you are going to a resort in Mexico, take one nice pair of neutral color sandals (bronze, pewter, silver) and an older pair for the sand. That is ALL you will need.

The grocery bag thing is the easiest. If you sew, you can very easily make little bags from old t-shirts. I saw on Pinterest a tip for putting pairs of shoes in cheap shower caps.

I seriously cannot imagine only having ONE pair of sandals for an entire week. When I am home I don't wear the same shoes every day, and I certainly will not do it on vacation. I will be packing at least 6 pairs of sandals/flip flops, and at least one pair of dressy shoes, plus the ones I wear on the plane.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:06 AM

62,583 posts, read 88,679,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I seriously cannot imagine only having ONE pair of sandals for an entire week. When I am home I don't wear the same shoes every day, and I certainly will not do it on vacation. I will be packing at least 6 pairs of sandals/flip flops, and at least one pair of dressy shoes, plus the ones I wear on the plane.
Good for you! But this is not "normal" or typical, and generally people take 3-4 pairs of shoes when travel. And only so many are NEEDED.
Now, what you WANT - that's a different story ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel