Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 02:41 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times

Advertisements

Actually, Scoop, get mom a new roller with four wheels. They work far better than the older two wheel sizes. I know because we're too decrepit (and a bit to spoiled, I'm embarrassed to admit) to deal with the backpacks anymore. The four wheels have worked just fine, including on the cobblestones of Rome, escalators, and potholes. Curbs, meh, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 02:53 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Actually, Scoop, get mom a new roller with four wheels. They work far better than the older two wheel sizes. I know because we're too decrepit (and a bit to spoiled, I'm embarrassed to admit) to deal with the backpacks anymore. The four wheels have worked just fine, including on the cobblestones of Rome, escalators, and potholes. Curbs, meh, not so much.
My nephew works in bell services at a large resort, and spinner wheels have replaced handles as the most commonly broken part of a suitcase. He says that one in four come in broken from the airport.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:08 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My nephew works in bell services at a large resort, and spinner wheels have replaced handles as the most commonly broken part of a suitcase. He says that one in four come in broken from the airport.
I don't doubt that. It's one of the reasons I buy my luggage at TJ Maxx, so when it needs replacing, it's not going to break my heart or my budget. It's also one of the reason we NEVER check luggage.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:17 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
Tumi and Samsonite

Old 09-08-2014, 05:43 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
I can't praise Travelpro enough. I have one of their rollaboard carry ons and it's still held up over five years now after been through ringer. I learned about the brand from a flight attendant friend of mine who swears by them.
We bought 4 pieces from the Travelpro Crew set about 4 years ago. The loops that hold the pulls on the zipper sliders on the back pockets broke multiple times, to the point where we eventually stopped taking it in to get repaired. The next time we plan on updating our luggage, we'll probably avoid Travelpro. I've heard good things about Tumi and Briggs & Riley. When I was fresh out of college, I used to have a Dakota bag that was great, but unfortunately Tumi discontinued that brand.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:16 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
I'm a RedOxx fan. Air Boss is the real deal. Biggest issue is that it's easy to overpack, and then you have to lug it around.

Red Oxx Air Boss Carry-on Bag Designed for 1 Bag Business Travelers.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:18 PM

4 posts, read 1,834 times
I like Atlantic. Reasonably priced when you get it at Ross, Marshall's, or TJ Maxx. Buy the model with no less than a ten year warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel