Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Does it matter that I booked it through Travelocity & not through the airline? Would the problem be with Travelocity or still with Delta?
If you miss the flight, it will up to DL to re-accommodate you. At this point Travelocity "owns" the reservation, but my experience with situations like this is that DL will work directly with you.

It's a 800 call-why haven't you called them to see what they can/will do instead of agonizing over it on an Internet message board?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 10:23 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,025,740 times
Since 45min is Legal they will not re-book it for "free".

Old 08-05-2014, 10:28 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,578,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you miss the flight, it will up to DL to re-accommodate you. At this point Travelocity "owns" the reservation, but my experience with situations like this is that DL will work directly with you.

It's a 800 call-why haven't you called them to see what they can/will do instead of agonizing over it on an Internet message board?
I will call them, I came on here to ask advice first. Pardon me for asking people who travel often.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:50 AM

16,566 posts, read 10,672,468 times
OP, here's a story to warm your heart. Years ago, I was flying Delta through ATL on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, when everything is packed to the gills. I had an hour of connecting time, but wouldn't you know it, my originating flight was an hour late. I had visions of missing the connection and everything else being full, and sleeping on the airport floor until the next day. But then came the lucky break: my originating flight pulled up to a gate directly across the hall from my connecting flight. There was even an agent there calling my name and beckoning me to sprint on over. Of course I did, and as soon as I gratefully stepped aboard the plane, they closed the door behind me. (Fortunately, I only had carry-on luggage that time.)

The moral of the story is, sometimes you get lucky. And hopefully you'll get lucky too, and you'll make your connection and everything will go well.

One piece of advice for you. When you check in at Milwaukee, watch them put the luggage tag on your bag. Make sure the big letters (the final destination) say MGA (assuming that you're flying into Managua), with ATL in little letters to signify the connection. If the tag says anything other than that, stop them and ask about it. (I actually have had them put the wrong tag on, once, and my vigilance at that point is what saved me from having my suitcase take a different vacation than the one I was embarking on.)

Good luck, and I hope all goes well.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
OP, here's a story to warm your heart. Years ago, I was flying Delta through ATL on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, when everything is packed to the gills. I had an hour of connecting time, but wouldn't you know it, my originating flight was an hour late. I had visions of missing the connection and everything else being full, and sleeping on the airport floor until the next day. But then came the lucky break: my originating flight pulled up to a gate directly across the hall from my connecting flight. There was even an agent there calling my name and beckoning me to sprint on over. Of course I did, and as soon as I gratefully stepped aboard the plane, they closed the door behind me. (Fortunately, I only had carry-on luggage that time.)

The moral of the story is, sometimes you get lucky. And hopefully you'll get lucky too, and you'll make your connection and everything will go well.

One piece of advice for you. When you check in at Milwaukee, watch them put the luggage tag on your bag. Make sure the big letters (the final destination) say MGA (assuming that you're flying into Managua), with ATL in little letters to signify the connection. If the tag says anything other than that, stop them and ask about it. (I actually have had them put the wrong tag on, once, and my vigilance at that point is what saved me from having my suitcase take a different vacation than the one I was embarking on.)

Good luck, and I hope all goes well.
Thanks, that's a good story. Yep, I will definitely be checking the tags!

Old 08-05-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I will call them, I came on here to ask advice first. Pardon me for asking people who travel often.
I realize that, but advice has been offered yet you seem to keep on looking for an answer rather than calling the one place that can actually help.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Since 45min is Legal they will not re-book it for "free".
Actually they might. I was recently rebooked for free (and not on a carrier I have status on) because while it was a legal connection, the person I spoke to agreed that the planets would need to align for me to make it.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I realize that, but advice has been offered yet you seem to keep on looking for an answer rather than calling the one place that can actually help.
Really? I'm asking questions so I can understand my situation better & so I know what I'm talking about when I call the airline. Isn't that what a forum is for, to ask questions? And you guys did answer my questions, thanks. My other posts are basically simple conversing back & forth, again something you do on a forum. You don't have to keep coming on here if it upsets you. I'm asking for advice from people who want to help, not criticize.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Really? I'm asking questions so I can understand my situation better & so I know what I'm talking about when I call the airline. Isn't that what a forum is for, to ask questions? You don't have to keep coming on here if it upsets you. I'm asking for advice from people who want to help, not criticize.
I'm not criticizing, just trying to give you a little prod towards taking the steps needed to find out exactly what the situation is. At this point you've got all the info you need, make the call. The longer you wait, the less likely you'll have success. Once you know if you can change to an earlier flight, we can help you as far as luggage, etc.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:12 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,674,898 times
The problem is that you have no control over weather -- if there's ANY weather delay in either MKE or ATL, you are going to be scrambling.

When my son was flying to join us in China last summer, he was on Delta, flying from D.C. to Atlanta, and then on to China. He was originally on a 40-minute turnaround. He looked up on "on time" statistics for his DC flights (usually every hour from D.C.) and discovered that this particular one had only a 65% on-time rating. He called Delta, pointed out the problem, and they transferred him to an earlier flight. So I would recommend that you check the on-time rating for your MKE flight and see, historically, how it does. It will give your concern more weight.

You CAN make a flight if all the stars are aligned in your favor. If you have any hiccup, though, it's going to be ugly.

The vast majority of the Delta flights come in on Concourse A, B and some C. I just checked today's Milwaukee flights, and they all seem to be coming in on A & B, with one at the T-Gate (Terminal Gate, the gate closest to the main terminal). The new International Concourse is Concourse F. There's an underground train that connects the concourses and it runs every 90 seconds or so, and takes about 10 minutes to get to Concourse F. However, it's also possible that your international flight could leave from Concourse E.

So, I guess the question is: "Do you feel lucky?" I think I would try to move the flight to an earlier one, if it were me. But if you can't, just let the attendants know your problem, and they will help, especially if they are running late. (And DO take a change of clothing in your carry-on, and a toothbrush -- just sayin'. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel