Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a good packer?
Yes, I roll (my clothes) in style. 41 82.00%
No, I have too many suitcases. 7 14.00%
I never go anywhere! 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 05:08 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,766,455 times

Advertisements

I bought some packing cubes to experiment with for a recent trip.

The verdict? I wasn't so crazy about them in my suitcase; just rolling my clothes was a better use of space.

But I used one in my carry on to pack a change of clothes. I like to keep a change of clothes in my carryon in case my luggage & I are separated. The packing cube worked beautifully for that, and kept my Keepall more organized. I'm using one of the other cubes to keep a change of clothes at work, and the third now holds a spare outfit in my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 11:41 AM

217 posts, read 327,495 times
Yes, though it's much easier packing for a trip than it is re-packing everything for the trip back home.

I always advise folks to leave some room in your suitcase for extra clothes, gifts, souvenirs, etc.

Now you have to worry more and more about luggage weight limits.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:04 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,089,972 times
I am non traditional about packing. For me, it's about bringing as little as possible with me. I only pack the things that I cannot live without -- underwear, a couple pairs of pants, one or two shirts, and toothpaste and similar. And all of it is lightweight. I have clothes that I ONLY wear when I'm traveling -- mostly made by Columbia.

That way, I don't have to check any baggage. My pack compresses down to any size metal "does-it-fit" cage any airline cares to throw at me. When I'm on vacation, I'm going to buy a couple souvenir shirts anyway. So I wear those. If I end up buying many things on a trip (happens often in Italy and North Africa), I ship it all home before I leave. FedEx is more careful with my things than the airport baggage-handing visigoths. And FedEx is often less expensive than checking a bag. And even when they cost more, it's still worth it. I just have someone at the hotel arrange a FedEx (or in Asia, DHL) pickup a day before I leave. My things are waiting for me when I return.

When I see people packed for a two-week trip as if they're moving there permanently, I can't imagine how they can possibly have any fun on vacation. My total luggage for my most recent trip -- three weeks in China -- weighed 12 pounds. And that includes the bag.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:41 PM

50,596 posts, read 64,651,646 times
I have a friend who's a clothes horse. She even made a bedroom into a closet for all her clothing. She went to Spain for a wedding, was on the QEII for a week, and took the train around Europe for 10 days, with one suitcase. She's my inspiration.
I find the best way to pack for a trip is I stick to black, white and khaki. I pack outfits for however many days I'll be gone, re-wearing slacks or shorts 2-3 times, and everything goes with everything else.
If I'm driving I throw in extras, but if I'm flying, I'm brutal about only taking the bare essentials. I always include black yoga pants and a white tunic top. This will be fine for everything from sleeping in it, to going to breakfast, to going out during the day with some flats and a light jacket, and also comfortable to wear for long flights.
Of course, if I were going to a very swishy resort hotel, or cruise ship, I'd probably need to try a bit harder, but that's not likely.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:17 PM

963 posts, read 2,310,401 times
I use to bargain travel to Europe quite often by air courier. That meant that I could only have a carry on bag for a weeks vacation (or longer), the luggage space was used by the courier company (great way to go, I once flew from New York to Paris round trip for $90).

It taught me to pack very light. One thing I do is make sure that all of my clothing coordinates. All of my pants were khakis, my shirts were white or complimentary colors and all shoes were brown. Plus, everything was washable with the exception of a well made blue blazer that became my go to jacket for casual or dress wear (I wore that on the flight). That has affected my entire wardrobe now. Every item in my closet will coordinate with any other. Also, I became comfortable with doing a midweek laundry run anywhere I travel.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:16 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,335,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have a friend who's a clothes horse. She even made a bedroom into a closet for all her clothing. She went to Spain for a wedding, was on the QEII for a week, and took the train around Europe for 10 days, with one suitcase. She's my inspiration.
I find the best way to pack for a trip is I stick to black, white and khaki. I pack outfits for however many days I'll be gone, re-wearing slacks or shorts 2-3 times, and everything goes with everything else.
If I'm driving I throw in extras, but if I'm flying, I'm brutal about only taking the bare essentials. I always include black yoga pants and a white tunic top. This will be fine for everything from sleeping in it, to going to breakfast, to going out during the day with some flats and a light jacket, and also comfortable to wear for long flights.
Of course, if I were going to a very swishy resort hotel, or cruise ship, I'd probably need to try a bit harder, but that's not likely.
We are about to take a trip to Vegas for 8 days: all we are taking is a couple pair of shorts each, about 4 tops, shoes, night clothes and swim suit. Of course we do have a washer and dryer in the condo. Oh, We will each have a pair of long pants; dockers for him and capris for me. I am bringing an extra suitcase, but only to bring a bunch of stuff back from Trader Joe's. Damn when will we get one here?

Old 09-22-2014, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 3,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We don't check luggage on the outbound flights anymore. EVER. So we've had to become great packers. Rolling used to be our standard, but then I discovered these lightweight packing cubes. They are the bomb! Pants and skirts in the big one, blouses and shirts in the medium sized, nightgowns and underwear in whichever one has extra space, toiletries and jewelry in the small one, along with our medications.

IF the airline wants to check our bag at the gate (it happens more often than I'd like), I just grab the small bag and carry it on the plane. ANYTHING that we do not want to lose (like medications) is in that bag.

Unpacking is a breeze. In fact, many times I've just take the bags out and placed them in drawers, removing clothes as I need them. When they are dirty, they go into a plastic bag in the suitcase. Whatever never gets worn is still in the packing cube when we get home, still clean and ready to wear. Obviously, some trips required doing laundry along the way and sometimes I bring this very lightweight daypack from Rick Steve's.

Some people also get extra cubes for shoes.

These things have traveled with us on a four week winter vacation in Europe, including 21 days on a cruise ship, 3 week road trips, a long weekend, etc.

Just amazing what a difference they can make.
I agree! I'm using Dot&Dot's travel accessories. From packing cubes, packing folders, shoe bag, hanging toiletry kit, travel bottles.

I love using packing cubes because I can bring more clothing than when not using them. My clothes don't also get wrinkled as much because they can be compacted. My business clothes I place in the packing folders. I love how the inside of my luggage has "structure" and looks pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel