Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 11:52 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,483,189 times

Advertisements

Our 20-something son, no credit card, will be travelling in the UK this year. What is the best way for him to handle expenses? We are thinking of a debit card to access a US bank account but are unsure what bank machine networks are supported (Plus, Pulse, Cirrus..?) and what fees to expect. Is any US bank better than others and have lower foreign transaction fees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 01:44 PM

43,721 posts, read 44,488,948 times
TD Bank offers no foreign transaction fees on its debit cards although there is a small out of network ATM fee (which would be same even if the card was used at a non-TD Bank ATM within the USA). Their checking account requires a min. balance of just $100 for free checking. I used a TD Bank debit card in the UK several years ago without any problems.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:27 PM

729 posts, read 1,507,142 times
We use our debit card when traveling. As long as it's a Visa or MC then you won't have a problem. I usually hit an ATM with a major bank to pull out a couple hundred in cash then pay as much as I can with cash. My bank charges a $3 transaction fee and the ATM charges a few dollars. Using cash limits an opportunity for fraud. Make sure you tell your bank that you are traveling and where. I alerted my bank last time we traveled but somehow the notice didn't go through. Luckily it was only one lunch when I found out and I had another, functioning credit card. The problem was easily solved with a phone call. (There is another topic - using your phone abroad!) I heard one travel horror story of someone who told their bank they were traveling to the UK. Their debit card was ok in England but when they used it in Scotland the ATM confiscated it. Evidently, the system didn't think Scotland was part of the UK! It was a Sunday and they couldn't get their card back until Monday. Luckily they had a second debit card to use. What a hassle!

Old 01-14-2014, 07:25 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,422,670 times
i use my BoA for Global ATM alliance banks like Barclays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel