Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:31 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,810,535 times

Advertisements

So many of these plans sound amazing. We have a limited budget for travel this year so this far:
Miami and Austin in February(
Phoenix in April
Couple getaway this summer (no kids!!!)
New Hampshire - summer
San Diego to San Francisco by PCH - 10 days this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 07:17 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,409,351 times
I am. I have at least 2 that we're doing this year:

1) My teen will hopefully be going to college in a year, so we're (or I) planning our college trips. We're going to Raleigh, NC and Maryland (we always take a trip to DMV anyway since this is where is dad and his folks are so I'm not really counting this one).

2) I'm trying to decide where to go for my 43rd b-day. I want to take a beach vacay so I'm thinking about either Hilton Head or Outer Banks. HH is closer to me so I may go there, but I haven't been to OB yet. We'll see.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:33 PM

89 posts, read 202,994 times
If I have vocation and enough money, i will visit the capital in my country in year.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:14 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,321,053 times
Hilton Head in March
Southern Spain in May/June
Cincinnati for work in June
maybe New Orleans for a few days in October
probably Detroit for a few days in November
Northeast Florida to visit family in December

But in 2015 I have a bit of time off, so I'm hoping for a couple of really ambitious trips....

Old 01-12-2014, 11:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,761 posts, read 58,170,577 times
Between my many trips to Asia, and several to San Diego ($19.90), DEN, and San Antonio...
I will be burning up some of these SWA $69 fares (based on distance). I usually fly from West coast to BWI ($114) and then hop all over the east coast for $69 / leg. (Albany>BWI, Albany> Manchester; BWI>Greenville, Greenville>ATL) Sale - One-Way As Low As | Southwest Airlines

on west cost I use Oakland or San Jose as cheap hub to other cities. I just booked PDX - DEN for $69 and PDX > OAK for $69.

I travel using guest homes $10 - $20/night worldwide (for 25+ yrs) and get my cars on hotwire or priceline ($12) I eat at grocery store (outdated / bruised Produce)... so I can travel cheaper than staying home ($40 / day property tax).

I have a bad case of wanderlust. I was only 'home' 3 weeks last winter. I even had to have the neighbor come over and feed the dog and cats a couple times when I was gone more than a month

Old 01-12-2014, 11:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,761 posts, read 58,170,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
Girlfriend and I are doing a huge road trip and seeing a lot of sights over about a 20 days span. Visiting Beartooth Highway, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Craters of the Moon, Arches, and the Grand Canyon. We live in Rockford, IL so we will be putting a LOT of miles on this rental car!
Buy the 'Passport America' annual Federal pass on your first Stop!!! or you will be spending $$$$ on park fees. It saves you $$ camping as well.

Please fit BRYCE Canyon in... it is amazing (as is Arches). Zion is OK, but not as spectacular / unique. Save some pennies and book a flight over Grand Canyon, it is REAL huge and hard to see from the ground. Mesa Verde is nice, but I hear they no longer allow you on the ladders / Kiva pits. (Do check, I have not confirmed this). It is a nice park.

I like Taos, NM and the nearby narrow gauge railway in Chama On the Tracks | Cumbres & Toltec Railroad

Of course see the Black Hills and Badlands and Devils Tower on your way west (as well as Bighorns (HWY 14a from Ranchester, WY to Lovell, enroute to Beartooth Hwy). )

Stay in Main Street Manor Hostel in Lead, SD. it is great, and community pool nearby and nice Mickelson Trail,

WY has free camping in most city parks and fairgrounds.

Road trips are great. In 7 days, I put 3500 miles on my $4.95 / day rental car out of DEN. 38 MPG in a Focus ST. was helpful but pretty thirsty compared to my 50 MPG Rabbits and Passats. I got a brand new Mustang as a $12/day car in NH, that thing was terrible on handling and economy. Had to top it off 2x / day. You will be traveling in WIDE expanses... plan on some serious night driving to save more time for sights!

Soda Hot Springs (ID) / Bear lake / WY Star Valley are nice too. Flaming Gorge / Dinosaur National Monument? (different, but can be passed up if not on your way)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-12-2014 at 11:27 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 12:03 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,703,787 times
Hiking with my husband

Old 01-13-2014, 12:08 AM

2 posts, read 8,358 times
Actually this year I’m not travelling but all my friends from other countries coming down so will be traveling around the country with them.

Colombo Boutique Hotels

Old 01-13-2014, 06:18 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,955,195 times
I'm going to Puerto Rico for 5 days this Wednesday and cannot wait! In March I'm going to Las Vegas for my brother's bachelor party. I'll be in Washington, DC for my sister's College graduation in May, although I don't really consider that traveling.

Nothing else is planned and dependent on time and money I would also like to get to New Orleans and The West Coast. I'll eventually have to start saving for a Eurotrip.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:57 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,748,937 times
My BF and I are currently debating whether we want to go to Hawaii this year, or go to Europe (either London or Barcelona, most likely). It's a hard decision, we can't decide if we'd rather relax and lie on the beach, or be busy and do lots of sightseeing.

Whichever trip we choose, we'll probably do the other option in 2015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel