Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 07:13 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,227 times

Advertisements

I want to take a trip from BWI to Florida. If I can save money and get there in one piece, I wont complain.
I came across Spirit Air.

I know they are a "barebones airline". Flights prices are really low, almost always lower then other airlines. I've done the whole "test booking" they charge for choosing a seat and I believe $25 for bags each way. So about ~$60 is added to the flights.

I'm wondering if anyone has flown on Spirit and has any experiences flying on Spirit. (Good or Bad).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 07:26 PM

186 posts, read 312,189 times
I would fly Jetblue or Delta. Spirit may seem cheap, but the extra fees rack on. They charge money for water, a snack, and to print your own boarding pass. Add $20 to that. And that $25 for bags...they charge between $40-100 if the bag dosent fit under the seat. So add $50. So a $30 flight plus $20 is $50 plus $40 is $90. In fact, "extras" can cost an extra $40. It would be cheaper to fly on Jetblue or Delta.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:17 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
If you know what the extra fees are, and they still end up cheaper, why not? My son flew them last year from ATL to Costa Rica. The first flight was canceled due to plane problems, but that can happen with any airline. As a result, they refunded his baggage fees and gave him a voucher to use on the next flight out. So, on the customer service end, we had no complaints, and the plane itself was no better or worse than most.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:20 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,597 times
Spirit is good for quick trips i took them to Medellin from Miami and it was alright

Old 01-04-2014, 07:15 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I flew once on Spirit Airlines several years. I didn't particular like the service at that time and haven't flown with them since.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:32 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
As far as I can tell, all the airlines are now offering "bare bones" service. You can't be losing much by going with an airline that charges less.

They are all charging extra fees for this and that. You need to carry-on your snacks with all the airlines. They all shove your own knees up your nose because the seats are so small and close together. Chances are that your flight attendant on any airline will perform at the minimum level of civility required by her employer, which often involves looking harried.

You have to go through the same TSA checkpoint and the same crowds no matter what airline you are flying on.

Add up all the fees and don't expect to be catered to and if both of those suit you, go for it.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Spirit (ie. Hobo Air) I fly when I want a $19.90 fare for a one day DIRECT trip to sunshine. (no bags, no seat assignment)

I really dislike them (Hobo Air / Spirit), and fly SWA almost exclusively in USA as an alternative (Free changes / free bags; important to my safety is HAPPY and professional employees... that includes Flight crew, counter, reservations and MOST IMPORTANT Maintenance!!!...) Use their LOW COST CALENDER. sale on this weekend (as usual).

Spirit (Hobo) flight crew and counter help treats you a bit worse than dirty baggage and are very rude and condescending. (from my 50+ flights ... YMMV)

Gotta love the A319s' on Hobo Fleet...taxiway Noise = Brrrrt... Burttt , Buurrrrrrttt Then some wise guy weighing 300# and sitting on you will exclaim (very loudly) .. "Yup, gotta wind that rubber band !"

The first time fliers look REAL flush...

I have had 3 inflight emergencies on Hobo Flights... That is very unnerving for someone who flies 50+ time / yr for 30 yrs, considering my 'other' incidents... a handful..

At this point "I'm insured" (LIFE), so may consider another $19.90 Spirit (hobo) flight.. My Heirs just might get lucky!

Old 01-05-2014, 08:13 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
They are fine as long as you are ready for a non reclined cramp seat and all the extra fees. Read them all. Make sure you understand what they are. If its still cheaper than why not fly them. They are safe. Just don't mess up on the fees. Forgot about a rule or fee and it could be $100 on the spot.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:05 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
I'd be willing to fly Spirit for a short trip(they have really cheap tickets to Vegas), but I'm a little worried I'll forget a rule or something or my bag will be too big and they'll end up charging me up the wazoo... I could care less about getting water or a snack or reclined seat though--I'm so used to just buying water and snacks to bring on the plane myself for longer flights anyhow. Does Spirit charge you for "outside food?" Will I get charged to go to the can or if leave the toilet seat up?

It sounds like the worst airline ever, though I flew on a Hungarian air carrier years ago that later folded, so I'm prepared for any sort of barebones mess... And a lot of other US airlines aren't that great to begin with either(I'm looking at you US Air and United...)

Last edited by Deezus; 01-06-2014 at 10:52 AM..

Old 01-06-2014, 10:11 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,227 times
Thanks for the replies everyone.

That's exactly what I was worried about. Being hit with some fee that was not listed on the site or I just didn't see and being stranded somewhere.
I don't recline my seat in a regular flight so that doesn't bother me, but is the leg space that much worst then a regular flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel