Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:44 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,549,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Are guided European tours worth it?
No. And I judge everyone I see in one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 09:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,805,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
No. And I judge everyone I see in one.
A neighbor just had the best trip of her life last Easter...

Her church group went to Europe and the Holy Land on a tour.

21 days for travel and memories with 29 of her friends.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:59 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,170,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
This is just something I cooked up on my own, using the ideas taken from here. I used May 8 as the date since that's the date the tour company has. May 8-23

May 8: Flying out of Dulles Airport (DC) to London - arriving May 9 in the AM
May 9, 10, 11 and 12 - spent in London
May 13 AM: Eurorail from London to Paris - approximately 2 hours ($132 total for 2 people)
May 13, 14, and 15 - spent in Paris
May 15 PM: Overnight train (Thello) from Paris to Venice ($192 for 2 people)
May 15, 16, and 17 - spent in Venice
May 18 AM: Italia Rail - Venice to Florence ($168 for 2 people)
May 18 and 19 in Florence
May 20 AM: Italia Rail - Florence to Rome ($168 for 2 people)
May 20, 21, and 22 in Rome
May 23: Fly from Rome to DC

It's roughly $600 in transportation costs, $2,364 in airfare, $2900 in hotel (I used the hotels that are on the itinerary, but I'm assuming this can be cut down) for a total of $5880, not including food or excursions. In the end, we are probably going to save about 3 or 4K when it's all set and done. The Grand Tour of Europe trip that they have is about $10K which includes airfare, hotel, taxes, breakfast, and 5 three course meals. Add in another 2K if we wanted to do all the excursions.
Your tour cost seems awfully high. Take a look at a company like Cosmos. Tour cost seems to be half what you're quoting, without airline costs, which without any discount they'd offer, looks to be under 1K each. Or a company like this. You'd probably find a much younger crowd there.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:33 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,454,916 times
Cheap tours are always cheap for a reason. The tour company still needs to churn out a profit.

One of the most common complaints I've heard associated with cheap tour agencies like Cosmos or Contiki is that they place you in hotels usually located far outside the city centre or away from the main tourist attractions, usually in random unremarkable suburbs or alongside highways. If you want the leisurely dinner at your own pace followed with a pleasant nighttime walk through the center of Paris watching the moon above Notre Dame, and stopping somewhere for a late night drink, forget it. It'll be "back on the bus no later than X time to get to the hotel a hour away" and the hotel is located in a semi-industrialized neighborhood where there's only a McDonalds or the European equivalent if you want to do something after hours.

Cheap tour companies usually operate on the basis that they offer you a bare bones price then charge you a small fortune for anything extra, such as extra meals and extra guided tours. At the end of the day you really don't save that much money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Your tour cost seems awfully high. Take a look at a company like Cosmos. Tour cost seems to be half what you're quoting, without airline costs, which without any discount they'd offer, looks to be under 1K each. Or a company like this. You'd probably find a much younger crowd there.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:00 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,579,768 times
Given this is your first trip, I'd take the guided one that also gives you some "free" time to be on your own. The next trip, then choose which method you like.

The thing about Europe is that what is available to see is huge. Guided tours can take you to the big ones and get you inside more quickly and have an english speaking guide in a museum for example. If you are on your own, you can find yourself in a long queue waiting to get inside. European tour buses are not American greyhounds, they are typically quite comfortable and you can catch up on some rest between stops. If you are on your own, you are going to find rest hard to come by as you mess with transportation, reservations, luggage etc.

Ideally, the way to see Europe is to rent a car and drive it yourself but for me, I'd want a full 30 days to meander around on my own. When you have limited time, there is much to be said for a guided trip.

Good luck on your decisions.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:04 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,160,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Given this is your first trip, I'd take the guided one that also gives you some "free" time to be on your own. The next trip, then choose which method you like.

The thing about Europe is that what is available to see is huge. Guided tours can take you to the big ones and get you inside more quickly and have an english speaking guide in a museum for example. If you are on your own, you can find yourself in a long queue waiting to get inside. European tour buses are not American greyhounds, they are typically quite comfortable and you can catch up on some rest between stops. If you are on your own, you are going to find rest hard to come by as you mess with transportation, reservations, luggage etc.

Ideally, the way to see Europe is to rent a car and drive it yourself but for me, I'd want a full 30 days to meander around on my own. When you have limited time, there is much to be said for a guided trip.

Good luck on your decisions.
I think this is what we're going to do after talking about it last night. I pointed out in one of my other posts that there is another tour, it's 11 days (or 10 b/c of flight) that goes to London/Paris/Rome, and you spend 3 nights in each. Afterwards, we're going to do something on our own for 4-5 days. So it's still a 16/17 day trip, but we kinda get the best of both worlds.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:39 PM

44,679 posts, read 61,809,426 times
Time constraints and safety factor plays into our taking group tours.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:35 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,403,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Time constraints and safety factor plays into our taking group tours.

Why do you feel unsafe without a group tour?

Old 12-13-2013, 03:15 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,160,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
Why do you feel unsafe without a group tour?
Not to answer for wit-nit, but pickpockets probably is a reason. Being lost in a city/area you don't know at all, possible language barrier

Old 12-13-2013, 03:24 PM

51,685 posts, read 25,947,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Unless you are wealthy and want too, you don't need to spend nearly that much to tour those countries. I recommend the following:

1. Obtain several Rick Steve's travel guides for Europe. You can also view videos online on Youtube of this if you want.

2. Go to www.europeandestinations.com and customize a "bare bones" trip to these places. The price will include airfare, hotel, and transfers to the airport. It may include rail fare in some situations.

3. Careful reading of the Rick Steve's guidebooks will largely eliminate your need for a guided tour in many places. Europe is far more "English friendly" than you think it is and language barriers have largely disappeared.

Do it my way and you can save a great deal of money. I have other tips if you want those too.
Please do post other tips. These are good ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel