Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 AM

4,789 posts, read 10,610,355 times

Advertisements

What Jasper12, Themanwithnoname and markg91359 wrote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 12:17 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
There are literally hundreds/thousands of potential terrorist targets in this country and little to nothing is done to prevent a terrorist attack on them.
That's not true at all. Here are some foiled attacks that didn't involve airplanes:

Jose Padilla: attempted to build a dirty bomb in Chicago
Iyman Faris: attempted to destroy the Brooklyn Bridge
Dhiren Barot: arrested in the UK; attempted to destroy the NYSE as well as financial targets in NJ and DC
New York Subway: targeted multiple times-- 2004, 2006, 2009
Jamiyyat Ul-Islam Is-Saheed: a group planning to bomb several sites in and around Los Angeles
Liberty City Seven: a group planning to bomb the Sears Tower and FBI offices
Fort Dix: a military base in NJ that was the target of another group
Hosam Smadi: planned to destroy Fountain Place in Dallas
Faisal Shahzad: attempted to set off a car bomb in Times Square
Farooque Ahmed: planned to bomb the Washington subway
Sami Osmakac: planned to destroy multiple targets in Tampa
Amine El Khalifi: attempted to destroy the United States Capitol in a suicide attack

Obviously none of those were successful, and this list is in no way exhaustive. Planes are, and have been for decades, popular targets for terrorists and hijackers. Even North Korea engaged in terrorism, bombing a Seoul-bound Korean Air flight in 1987.

It's really simple: if TSA bothers you that much, don't fly. Drive, take the train, take a cruise liner or cargo ship, or stay home. Aside from travel within Alaska and Hawaii, there are plenty of options to travel within the United States or to get overseas, but you'll have to just deal with the extended time it takes to get anywhere.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Shortly after 9/11 I was selected for the 'random advanced screening' While traveling in Class A Uniform, on orders, with Military ID, and a ticket the Corps paid for.

More recently I went through security and was selected, as a disabled Vet, (Using my military ID to check through security) with white walls and a cane... while people who looked like people who shot at me In Iraq got waved through with nothing...

It's all a crock.
So, no one can obtain a uniform, create orders, and create a fake ID? Uniforms are available everywhere; orders are simply MS Word generated; and fake military ID's are easy to obtain. (Look at all the fake vets out there now, and look at all the fake ID's for the under 21 crowd).

An active duty person cannot ever commit a terrorist attack? (Ft. Hood shooting)

A veteran cannot ever commit a terrorist attack? (OKC bombing)

Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
So, no one can obtain a uniform, create orders, and create a fake ID? Uniforms are available everywhere; orders are simply MS Word generated; and fake military ID's are easy to obtain. (Look at all the fake vets out there now, and look at all the fake ID's for the under 21 crowd).

An active duty person cannot ever commit a terrorist attack? (Ft. Hood shooting)

A veteran cannot ever commit a terrorist attack? (OKC bombing
All these things are possibilities. Yet, you and some others are missing the point.

You may die in a car accident before the end of the day as well. In fact, the odds of that occurring are much, much higher than your dying as a result of a terrorist attack. There are plenty of risks in living. Farmers run a substantial risk of dying because they were struck by lightning. People have died as a result of meteorites falling.

The question is one of balancing risk vs. benefit. Is the benefit obtained by subjecting all disabled veterans to heavy-duty screening worth the cost?

If I had my way, I'd eliminate TSA. We'd still have screening. However, I'd go back to pre-911 and make the airlines responsible for it again. Al Quaeda is on the ropes and I don't believe the kind of heavy-duty screening TSA does is worth $8 billion a year to a country that worries about paying for medicare and social security for its population. In life, one must make trade offs. I am saying what TSA does is a poor use of resources.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:28 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

A veteran cannot ever commit a terrorist attack? (OKC bombing)
Great point....no one cares what a person's background is, who they work for, what country they serve, etc...if you get pulled over in the TSA line...just comply....I always do because I don't want to be held up for a flight.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:44 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Man you should have been Irish traveling in the UK for a long time. Irish ? Check, random search over there sir.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:55 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
All these things are possibilities. Yet, you and some others are missing the point.

You may die in a car accident before the end of the day as well. In fact, the odds of that occurring are much, much higher than your dying as a result of a terrorist attack. There are plenty of risks in living. Farmers run a substantial risk of dying because they were struck by lightning. People have died as a result of meteorites falling.

The question is one of balancing risk vs. benefit. Is the benefit obtained by subjecting all disabled veterans to heavy-duty screening worth the cost?

If I had my way, I'd eliminate TSA. We'd still have screening. However, I'd go back to pre-911 and make the airlines responsible for it again. Al Quaeda is on the ropes and I don't believe the kind of heavy-duty screening TSA does is worth $8 billion a year to a country that worries about paying for medicare and social security for its population. In life, one must make trade offs. I am saying what TSA does is a poor use of resources.
All very good, until its your wife, husband, daughter or son blown into another zip code. You say this now, however, the moment someone close to you, died in such a situation and such safeguards were NOT in place, as a lawyer, YOU would be the first one suing, trying to get as much money as you could. You can slice it, dice it, spin doctor it all you want. You KNOW its true. The SECOND a family member was killed, you would be exploiting every single opening to "make your case."

I too travel quite frequently. I too dislike the TSA and some their policies. I am a police officer and I've been strip searched, yes read that again, STRIP SEARCHED, TWICE by the TSA. I don't whine, *****, or moan about it. Its part of life as we know it now and I live with it.

What I think about is the great, glorious time I had when I got too my destinations. Not some minor issue in my life. People need to grow up, mature up, and look at the world through REAL LIFE. Not some myopic view point of their poor little life. The TSA has no idea, no way, et al to know whom a terrorist is.

And Mark, YOU have no clue how many terrorist incidents have been stopped which DO NOT and HAVE NOT reached the general public and the newspapers. Yes, I do. I've been involved in several terrorist isues in the SF Bay Area which received NO or little media attention. However, had their goals been achieved, it would have been all over the world.

Sometimes ignorance is total bliss.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
no friend when we ignore the infirm and old and only go after chanting people with towels on their heads who are sweating and looking very nervous, u r facing a law suit for a method called profiling. that is why they do random checks that make no sense. but they are random. this entire cirus is driving by law suits. you assume 2 things. that TSA and all law enforcement can do anything they want any time they want. that there are no crazy people getting on the planes with weapons with the intention of hurting others, INCLUDING YOU. trust me these are 2 very false assumptions.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:55 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
All very good, until its your wife, husband, daughter or son blown into another zip code. You say this now, however, the moment someone close to you, died in such a situation and such safeguards were NOT in place, as a lawyer, YOU would be the first one suing, trying to get as much money as you could. You can slice it, dice it, spin doctor it all you want. You KNOW its true. The SECOND a family member was killed, you would be exploiting every single opening to "make your case."

I too travel quite frequently. I too dislike the TSA and some their policies. I am a police officer and I've been strip searched, yes read that again, STRIP SEARCHED, TWICE by the TSA. I don't whine, *****, or moan about it. Its part of life as we know it now and I live with it.

What I think about is the great, glorious time I had when I got too my destinations. Not some minor issue in my life. People need to grow up, mature up, and look at the world through REAL LIFE. Not some myopic view point of their poor little life. The TSA has no idea, no way, et al to know whom a terrorist is.

And Mark, YOU have no clue how many terrorist incidents have been stopped which DO NOT and HAVE NOT reached the general public and the newspapers. Yes, I do. I've been involved in several terrorist isues in the SF Bay Area which received NO or little media attention. However, had their goals been achieved, it would have been all over the world.

Sometimes ignorance is total bliss.
Key point right there...I can appreciate this post.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
My 80 year old mother was a potential shoe bomber. She had to take off her shoes.
I haven't flown in Europe recently but I understand this hypersecurity isn't going on at the airports there. They seem to have a more balanced approach.
Not recently. They changed the rules about a year ago so unless they set off an alert, people over a certain age (70 maybe, I can't recall) no longer need to remove shoes.

If you are flying within the Eurozone, security is pretty lax in Europe. If you are flying to the USA, expect metal detectors, x-rays of luggage, sometimes a full hand search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel