Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:13 AM

663 posts, read 1,620,510 times

Advertisements

Have any of you booked international tickets via Expedia?

Any reason to not to?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,429,856 times
Another good site to find discount prices on international flights is Vayama.

International Flights, Cheap International Flights | Vayama

Old 03-19-2013, 10:46 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,159,726 times
My friends had a horror story with tickets they booked on Expedia going to and from Sweden. Their connection in London got rescheduled so they did not have enough time between flights and Expedia never informed them. Then the airline charged them a new ticket fee to get on a later flight, since they missed the connection. They tried to fight with Expedia to get them to refund them the new ticket fee since Expedia failed to email them and tell them about the flight time change and Expedia refused. If they had booked the tickets directly with the airline they could have gotten that ticket fee waived. The airlines are also MUCH better about keeping you informed of changes like that immediately after they happen.

Aside from all that, I've found that Expedia rarely beats buying from the airline directly and most airlines have a price fare guarantee. If you find a lower price on Expedia, take a screenshot and call the airline's booking number. But keep in mind airfares are only good basically as soon as you find it. If you find a good deal today and wait until tomorrow to contact the airline, tough luck if the fare has risen since then.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:24 AM

663 posts, read 1,620,510 times
Thx. I am skeptical about Expedia too, esp when my folks are the ones traveling alone to the US from India.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:17 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,866,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
My friends had a horror story with tickets they booked on Expedia going to and from Sweden. Their connection in London got rescheduled so they did not have enough time between flights and Expedia never informed them. Then the airline charged them a new ticket fee to get on a later flight, since they missed the connection. They tried to fight with Expedia to get them to refund them the new ticket fee since Expedia failed to email them and tell them about the flight time change and Expedia refused. If they had booked the tickets directly with the airline they could have gotten that ticket fee waived. The airlines are also MUCH better about keeping you informed of changes like that immediately after they happen.

Aside from all that, I've found that Expedia rarely beats buying from the airline directly and most airlines have a price fare guarantee. If you find a lower price on Expedia, take a screenshot and call the airline's booking number. But keep in mind airfares are only good basically as soon as you find it. If you find a good deal today and wait until tomorrow to contact the airline, tough luck if the fare has risen since then.
Excellent advice all around. Can't give you rep points, eva, but I would if I could. (Evidently, I've given you too many!)

Old 03-19-2013, 03:00 PM

794 posts, read 1,326,426 times
I generally will use Orbitz or Travelocity to do a general search, but then go to the airline's own website to book.

In terms of day-of travel, all bookings should be treated equally. In the event of a delay or cancellation on the day of travel, the airline rep should treat you the same as someone who booked through their direct website.

Where it might help is in the event of schedule changes (by you or the airline) or a complete cancellation of the trip (by you) prior to the day of departure...easier without a middleman.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:36 AM

75 posts, read 170,307 times
i've booked Expedia for international travel for my parents, couple of times for self, and once for a friend.

Like all airfares - you have 1 business day to cancel any booked flights.
If Expedia charges you more than anyone else, including the airline, you can have them price match the diff and they also give you a free $50 hotel room credit.
I did not have any problems with Expedia, but I choose my connection times with ample time in between when booking for parents and others.
I did have to change a trips date and Expedia worked diligently with me on it.
I would not hesitate to continue to purchase from Expedia.
I did purchase from Orbitz once as well, but canceled within 30 days as I changed my travel date.
Also, kayak.com is a good site to find the cheap rates, and you can go and book with whoever (Expedia, Orbitz, airline). Kayak shows which website has which fare. Nice grid view if you're looking for flexible dates for international even (most sites have it for domestic only).

Old 03-20-2013, 06:17 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,930,021 times
I have regularly used Expedia for both domestic and international, no problems.

Avoid Travelocity as they add trip insurance by default and you may not see it in time to remove it.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,078,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
i've booked Expedia for international travel for my parents, couple of times for self, and once for a friend.

Like all airfares - you have 1 business day to cancel any booked flights.
If Expedia charges you more than anyone else, including the airline, you can have them price match the diff and they also give you a free $50 hotel room credit.
I did not have any problems with Expedia, but I choose my connection times with ample time in between when booking for parents and others.
I did have to change a trips date and Expedia worked diligently with me on it.
I would not hesitate to continue to purchase from Expedia.
I did purchase from Orbitz once as well, but canceled within 30 days as I changed my travel date.
Also, kayak.com is a good site to find the cheap rates, and you can go and book with whoever (Expedia, Orbitz, airline). Kayak shows which website has which fare. Nice grid view if you're looking for flexible dates for international even (most sites have it for domestic only).
Choosing ample connection times won't help when your flight is cancelled or significantly delayed--like my last international flight was. Over six hours.

I book directly with my carrier. They send me text messages to give me flight updates. I've got more hotel points for free rooms than I'll use in my lifetimes. I'm using two weeks worth this summer and still have enough for two more weeks.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,031,596 times
I use Expedia as a research tool and find the reviews helpful. When it comes to booking, I book directly with the airline as they are more likely to help you if there's any changes need to be made to your reservations. Also, bear in mind that not all airlines are represented in Expedia (or other third party sites) so you might not even get the best fare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel