Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:05 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,090,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Thanks for the idea, Annerk ... I'll look into Viking River Cruises ... With the river cruises, are you only limited to exploring coastal areas or will you have an opportunity to see some of the more inland stuff? What about the demographics ... I am nearing my 40th birthday so are the cruises cater to an older crowd, younger crowd or will I fit right in? I was planning on getting a money belt but what about my camera ... My favorite part about traveling is the photos I bring back home. I would be devastated to lose those and traveling solo would make it challenging to take photos with me in them.
You would be on the younger side but not completely out of place. I think you would find you have a lot in common with the others--the love of travel being one. They aren't going to be whooping it up and doing hoochie mama dancing at night, but if you are content chatting about the day over cocktails, listening to a lecture about the ports the next day (informative--not trying to sell shore excursions) and maybe listening to a duo or playing a board game or cards, you'd fit right in.

As far as the camera, I use a new memory card each day so if something happens, the worst case scenario is that you'll be out those days photos. The other cards stay in the safe in my room.

The nice thing about a cruise is that you'll make friends with other passengers, they will be happy to take your photo if you ask at the various sites.

As to inland--it depends on the cruise, each is different. Keep in mind with many of the European rivers, go too far inland and you're climbing a mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
It sounds like a tour would be best for you. I've really never had serious problems with language or pickpockets or taking the subway--cities in Europe really aren't *that* different than American ones--but everyone has different comfort levels. I can't think of any European city I wouldn't go to alone.
Montenegro, Albania, Bosnia, any place in Russia. That's about it for the European countries I wouldn't visit alone.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:11 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,035,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You would be on the younger side but not completely out of place. I think you would find you have a lot in common with the others--the love of travel being one. They aren't going to be whooping it up and doing hoochie mama dancing at night, but if you are content chatting about the day over cocktails, listening to a lecture about the ports the next day (informative--not trying to sell shore excursions) and maybe listening to a duo or playing a board game or cards, you'd fit right in.

As far as the camera, I use a new memory card each day so if something happens, the worst case scenario is that you'll be out those days photos. The other cards stay in the safe in my room.

The nice thing about a cruise is that you'll make friends with other passengers, they will be happy to take your photo if you ask at the various sites.

As to inland--it depends on the cruise, each is different. Keep in mind with many of the European rivers, go too far inland and you're climbing a mountain.
Thanks Annerk ... I really appreciate the feedback about the River Cruises and LOVE the tip about changing the memory card each day.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:26 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,046,330 times
Quote:
Montenegro, Albania, Bosnia, any place in Russia. That's about it for the European countries I wouldn't visit alone.
I went to Bosnia alone about two years ago. I was just in two cities (Sarajevo and Mostar) so I can't speak to the rest of the country but I didn't feel any "danger" (outside of the fact that land mines do still exist!) or have any bad vibes.

I went to Moscow alone for a couple of days. Not my favorite trip ever. But I don't even think a traveling companion would have made it better...that place just wasn't my cup of tea.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:35 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,155,272 times
Quote:
Thank you for your suggestions. I'll also look into Cosmos. You mention that it's a budget tour company so are the accommodations hostels or motels? That is definitely NOT something I'm comfortable with.

I do like your suggestion of basing my trip out of London and maybe just doing tours or mini treks into the other countries. That may work as well. I guess the biggest determining factor is can I do this trip for 5K and be comfortable with my accommodations?
No, they accommodations are hotels. Always with private bathrooms. Sometimes, though, they were smaller, country hotels as opposed to big downtown ones. I've stayed in some dodgy places in my time ... but never connected with a tour company.

And a suggestion about photos. Since you're planning to be away so long, you might try to periodically upload your photos to an internet site. It'd be good insurance that they'll be there when you get home.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
No, they accommodations are hotels. Always with private bathrooms. Sometimes, though, they were smaller, country hotels as opposed to big downtown ones. I've stayed in some dodgy places in my time ... but never connected with a tour company.

And a suggestion about photos. Since you're planning to be away so long, you might try to periodically upload your photos to an internet site. It'd be good insurance that they'll be there when you get home.
Thanks for getting back with me. This will sound like a dumb question but how can I upload the photos? I don't have a laptop and do not wish to lug one around with me.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks for getting back with me. This will sound like a dumb question but how can I upload the photos? I don't have a laptop and do not wish to lug one around with me.
You're pretty well stuck them.

I took a laptop but never used it last year in Europe. Not once. I will NOT make that mistake again. Four pounds is a lot of extra weight to lug around. I did use my iPhone every single day. All the cafes will give you their WiFi password for free if you order even a glass of house wine or draft beer.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
You're pretty well stuck them.

I took a laptop but never used it last year in Europe. Not once. I will NOT make that mistake again. Four pounds is a lot of extra weight to lug around. I did use my iPhone every single day. All the cafes will give you their WiFi password for free if you order even a glass of house wine or draft beer.
Maybe I need to look into getting a smartphone as I don't have one... I actually prefer a digital camera for the quality but would hate to lose the pics if my camera was ever stolen. Gosh! So many things to think about. This is why the trip is overwhelming to me.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Maybe I need to look into getting a smartphone as I don't have one... I actually prefer a digital camera for the quality but would hate to lose the pics if my camera was ever stolen. Gosh! So many things to think about. This is why the trip is overwhelming to me.
Don't rely on the smartphone for photos. Bring your camera. I lugged a professional grade DSLR along and was very, very glad I had. I think you are being overly concerned about crime.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Don't rely on the smartphone for photos. Bring your camera. I lugged a professional grade DSLR along and was very, very glad I had. I think you are being overly concerned about crime.
I probably am but there's so many traveler reviews that I've read and the subject of pickpockets keeps popping up. Although I am a seasoned traveler, I will stand out as a tourist and do have the facial appearance of a naive person (which I'm not).

Anyways, just trying to figure out how to get the photos off my camera card and upload them while I'm in Europe? If I need to invest in a IPad or a lighter weight laptop, I will but would I be able to do this easily. Also, if my camera were ever stolen, how easy would it be to get another camera for the remainder of my trip?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel