Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:03 PM

479 posts, read 1,435,234 times

Advertisements

I'm going to New York in a few months, and I was wondering:

1. What landmarks should I be sure to visit? So far, I plan to see the Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge, Ground Zero, the Empire State Building, Central Park, Times Square, and Madison Square Garden.

2. What are some good and memorable places to eat that aren't too expensive? In particular, I'm interested in unique places that you might see on Man vs. Food or something. Not a big fan of Thai or anything super spicy though.

3. What are some nice, affordable hotels to stay at in Manhattan?

4. What are some romantic places to go/things to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 02:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post

1. What landmarks should I be sure to visit? So far, I plan to see the Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge, Ground Zero, the Empire State Building, Central Park, Times Square, and Madison Square Garden.

2. What are some good and memorable places to eat that aren't too expensive? In particular, I'm interested in unique places that you might see on Man vs. Food or something. Not a big fan of Thai or anything super spicy though.

I can't help a lot cause we have only been to NYC about 3 or 4 times, but I will give you a couple ideas: 1-I would do the hop on/hop off bus for starters..As for a affordable hotel, that depends on what you call affordable. For many no hotels in NYC are affordable..and last but not least: romantic I would have dinner in the Rainbow room.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,740 times
There's so much to do and see in Manhattan, you'll have to pick an area to stay in, and then look at sights and neighbourhoods that you can get to on the subway. We've stayed mid-town, east side near Grand Central, and in the Financial District in Lower Manhattan. Wherever you are, there will be nice reasonable places to get a bite without breaking the bank.

The Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station is fabulous and quite reasonable.

I like wandering around Greenwich Village, Chinatown, Chelsea (Chelsea Market--plenty of food opportunities, the Highline walk which is a kind of park and really interesting with great views.) Central Park is great, but huge--there are other great parks too--Washington Square Park on a nice weekend afternoon is fascinating.

Think about the things you like to do--sometimes the quirky things are more interesting than the usual tourist things--Madison Square Gardens--why?

I agree that "affordable Manhattan" is kind of an oxymoron. Do your research on tripadvisor, and see what you can find. I know friends who stayed in a former nunnery--can't remember the name, but I think it perhaps was in Chelsea.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:09 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,067,439 times
[quote=sidburn;28594211]
[quote]

Battery Park. Hell's Kitchen provides a good photo-op of midtown. Ride the free Staten Island ferry if you want. Certainly walk the High Line. Consider visiting some sites in Central Park. The Library and Bryant Park are worth a visit. Also Union Square.

Quote:
There's tons of food. Get $1 pizza while you're walking around. Toasted bagel and cream cheese of course. Get a Boba Milk Tea at Comebuy near Bryant Park, that's pretty unique.

Quote:
Dream on.

Quote:
Bryant Park at night if it's open. Empire state building and Grand Central Station. Hike across the Brooklyn Bridge. Catch a broadway show.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:28 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post

I wouldn't waste my time going to the Statue of Liberty. Instead take the free Staten Island ferry which gives you a good photo opportunity of the Statue.

You might also get more tips if you posted this on the NYC forum.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:36 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,582,279 times
I'm a big fan of walking tours, and found Big Onion Walking Tours last time I was in NYC. Two hours, no reservations needed. The got pricey though ($20), but it's a great way to learn about an area. I did the one that goes across the Brooklyn Bridge and into Brooklyn Heights. Then on my own I walked down a long avenue (Flatbush? Atlantic?) with lots of shops and places to eat, then took the subway back to Manhattan.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn, not too far from Columbus Circle. Good location for getting around. Columbus Circle has a HUGE Whole Foods Store -- sometimes I got hot foods to go and ate back in my hotel.

Pickup a copy of Time Out New York when you get there -- tells you what's on for that week.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:24 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Tips? Walk fast. If you dawdle and gawk, or make eye contact, you mark yourself out as a tourist and are fair game.

NYC is full of tiny excellent inexpensive hole-in-the-wall restaurants. If it is crowded, it is worth taking a chance.

Be really careful crossing the streets because the taxis would rather run you down than to slow down.

Do not go off the main roads. A dangerous neighborhood can be just 1 block from where you are relatively safe.

Inexpensive hotels? Hahahaha.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:07 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,739,320 times
If you have a rainy day The Museum of Natural History is nice
If you find a cheap hotel in NYC it's a rat hole...

I would say bare minimum $250-300 a night and that's a stretch

Old 03-10-2013, 02:33 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,131,251 times
Check Hotwire and Groupon for NYC hotel deals, which there are a surprising lot of. I see an interesting-looking boutique hotel on the Upper West Side (very good neighborhood) for $127 / night on Groupon.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:06 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,067,439 times
We were just in Manhattan and Brooklyn today. The 9/11 memorial is open and free to the public. You should stop by. If the weather is bad or its late in the day, it seems like you can just walk in without the online reservation. We did this today (a cold Sunday afternoon) around 4PM. I believe the memorial closes around 5 or 530PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel