Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 AM

32,865 posts, read 48,932,118 times

Advertisements

I prefer to sleep in my own bed, so I have a nice little travel trailer and I drive if I am not going too far.

For long distances, I fly.

However, it is just me traveling by myself. I think that having a large family makes a difference. It gets cheaper to drive if you must buy 3 or more plane tickets.

There are some benefits to driving. You get to stop and enjoy all the sights and landmarks and any National Parks you happen to pass. Also, when you get to where you are going, you have a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 AM

23,721 posts, read 71,189,519 times
I've refused to fly since before 2000. Our van has been converted to have a bed in the back. The world is a bigger place if you don't fly.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:01 AM

3,735 posts, read 5,854,533 times
If I had to 'fly commercial', I would not fly at all. Airports have become nightmarish places (not just psychos in 'security', but blaring televisions, blaring 'lite rock' music, and on and on...). And frankly, with direct flights coming in, now, from the hellholes of the Earth, who knows when you'll be seated next to someone carrying the new One Hundred Percent Drug-resistant Tuberculosis?

When I don't find it feasible or cost-effective to 'fly private', I drive. I used to fly a whole lot more.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,249,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It really depends. Cost is generally not my prime motivating factor. If the scenery will be worth looking at, I'll drive. If I've going to spend three days looking at corn fields, get me on a plane.
I prefer flying.. But let me say this Give me 3 days of nice quiet corn fields rather than 1 day of 70MPH competitive driving on the interstates.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,984 posts, read 58,905,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I prefer flying.. But let me say this Give me 3 days of nice quiet corn fields rather than 1 day of 70MPH competitive driving on the interstates.
Me 2 !!! Add to that the countless hours of prairie, golden grain, or Sunflower fields of Canada and ND !

I LOVE the remote stretches (tho often drive them at night). Little is as beautiful as the glistening frozen prairie on a moonlit night. And the distant lightning storms of the great plains on the long summer nights.

YMMV

Old 03-08-2013, 11:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,374,057 times
Quote:
I prefer 80 mph competitive driving...

Old 03-08-2013, 12:36 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,249,195 times
Quote:
I don;t see you location posted. I assume you are from California!!

Old 03-08-2013, 02:33 PM

524 posts, read 849,245 times
I agree with those liking the rural drive. Hope to get a car that will allow sleeping in the back for those long, exploritory road trips!

Old 03-09-2013, 08:09 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,374,057 times
Quote:
I don;t see you location posted. I assume you are from California!!
Florida but drive all around the country with work. Two best stretches are I-95 between Greenwich and New Haven, and I-95 between Hollywood and Coral Gables.

Well, and of course almost anywhere rural on I-10 in the southwest and 70-80-90-94 in the central states.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,984 posts, read 58,905,484 times
Quote:
Quote:
...drive all around the country with work. ...Well, and of course almost anywhere rural on I-10 in the southwest and 70-80-90-94 in the central states.
SO obviously you enjoy the TX 80 mph speed limits! (And MT... NO speed limits (which is no longer valid)).

As a college kid / professional truckdriver (many decades ago), I enjoyed the WY routes where we AVERAGED 80 mph including stops. Open Range was a bit dicy with 1200# critters wandering around. AND the boss got a little irritated having to post bond when drivers got jailed for 100mph + passing through Cheyenne and Laramie (coming off Sherman Pass).

I guess in effect we were FLYING (for the era).

Quote:
I agree with those liking the rural drive. Hope to get a car that will allow sleeping in the back for those long, exploritory road trips!
Thus, I use my 52 MPG Passat Wagons for that (Sleeping + CHEAP road trips). They will be getting "motoraid" Hot Water Heaters this yr, and a small portable holding tank for Warm outdoor shower / or soup / cocoa. Since they burn FREE cooking oil (or discarded Jet A), they cost per mile is ONLY tires, maint and depreciation (Very low on a $1200 car + I get my tires for $5 at the wrecking yr). Never a problem in 3 million fleet miles.

But... when I can get a <$100 rate to fly cross country, my 50 mpg FREE fuel cars stay parked. I need to save them for LATER fuel price increases / mileage needs.

I also use these vehicles for econo road trip + sleeping / stealth camping:
http://www.rialtaheaven.com/intro.asp?ref=rialtaheaven
http://wetwesties.org/
http://www.google.com/search?q=roadt...I4juqQGO0ICIAg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel