Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:17 AM

4 posts, read 3,847 times

Advertisements

Are you type of person want to travel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 05:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I love to travel--on my terms.

I refuse to "rough it." I'm way to old for that.

I have standards for the level of hotel I'll stay in, the types of transportation I'll take, and the food I'll eat.

I don't need the presidential suite or a limo to whisk me away, but I won't sleep in a budget level hotel or in a strangers home, I won't travel economy on a long haul,and I won't eat foods prepared in dubious sanitary conditions or made with things I typically call the exterminator for at home.

Last edited by annerk; 02-15-2013 at 05:51 AM..

Old 02-15-2013, 05:17 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
I am the kind of person who is addicted to travelling and whose life would be much improved could she be on the move pretty much all the time. "Home" means really very little to me. I love my House and the area I live in but I would much rather be somewhere else, discovering new places, re-discovering old ones and enjoying the feeling of freedom and break from routine and familarity.

Give me the Lottery prize and I would probably hardly ever be "home". The lure of the open road has always been extremely strong, possibly because of my nomadic upbringing. I feel trapped not travelling and it makes me feel rather miserable truth be told.

I am pretty much always looking towards our next break/vacation and planning for future trips. I would go mad otherwise.

I cannot explain the deep thrill I feel everytime I know I am going away. Elation, excitement and a real sense of anticipation.

I love seeing new places, trying new foods, meeting new people, experiencing new cultures and immersing myself into somewhere different. I crave the novelty and the otherness and also the semi familiarity which comes from re-visiting places one knows intimately but are still foreign.

Life without travel to me would be pointless and lacklustre. Travel is what feeds me and what gives me the strength to go on. It gives me something to look forward to and to aspire to. I have been travelling so to speak since I was one day old and old habits die hard.

My only issue is that of course life has gotten in the way of my proclivity and addiction and I can no longer travel as I once did which hurts badly.

I think I am basically always trying to escape and run away. Travel is an escape from a world I don't much like I think. It allows me to breathe and for my mind to break free.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:35 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I like traveling and seeing other places as well as getting to know other cultures and their people.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
I love to travel and do so often, especially since we are retired. Many of our trips are for a month at a time. Some trips we stay with family, some in hotels or lodges. We've stayed in 5 star hotels, to bedded tents in national parks in Africa. I like getting off the tourist trail and seeing the real country and culture.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:53 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times
I don't just love to travel, I also must travel. Travelling is as important to me as breathing.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Do you love travel?

I am a bit beyond that... I LIVE to travel. Bad case of wanderlust. (been Home 3 days since Thanksgiving, maybe back in April for a few days to do taxes. Between now and then ??? Plenty of space to enjoy. I travel FAR cheaper than staying home, and I am VERY cheap at home. (I have a $35 car and eat on $100 / month)

Traveiling will get old someday, then I will figure out something new.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:25 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times
I used to. I had gotten to a point in my life where I had the money and the time to really travel, so I did. I loved researching places, the planning, looking up events to attend. I'm a nut for public transport, which meshes nicely with my love of maps, so to me its a fun puzzle to figure out all the different ways to get from A to B. The re-living of the trip through photos and journals...

But then I had a chance to purchase my "forever" home, and really love being home now! Maybe I was trying to escape my old house/neighborhood before? Was it a phase? I look forward to traveling again some time in the future. It's weird -- now I have all the time in the world (unemployed), but must save every nickel. Oh well.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:20 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
I do. For a variety of reasons.

These days, my kids live far away (we traveled a lot when they were young and I guess they caught the bug). Mostly I enjoy the excitement of getting away, the strangeness of wherever I go, and the people I meet.

I just reviewed the "Overrated" thread. I think some of those posters are missing the point, but I suppose everyone has their own reasons for traveling.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:50 AM

5,210 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I am the kind of person who is addicted to travelling and whose life would be much improved could she be on the move pretty much all the time. "Home" means really very little to me. I love my House and the area I live in but I would much rather be somewhere else, discovering new places, re-discovering old ones and enjoying the feeling of freedom and break from routine and familarity.

Give me the Lottery prize and I would probably hardly ever be "home". The lure of the open road has always been extremely strong, possibly because of my nomadic upbringing. I feel trapped not travelling and it makes me feel rather miserable truth be told.

I am pretty much always looking towards our next break/vacation and planning for future trips. I would go mad otherwise.

I cannot explain the deep thrill I feel everytime I know I am going away. Elation, excitement and a real sense of anticipation.

I love seeing new places, trying new foods, meeting new people, experiencing new cultures and immersing myself into somewhere different. I crave the novelty and the otherness and also the semi familiarity which comes from re-visiting places one knows intimately but are still foreign.

Life without travel to me would be pointless and lacklustre. Travel is what feeds me and what gives me the strength to go on. It gives me something to look forward to and to aspire to. I have been travelling so to speak since I was one day old and old habits die hard.

My only issue is that of course life has gotten in the way of my proclivity and addiction and I can no longer travel as I once did which hurts badly.

I think I am basically always trying to escape and run away. Travel is an escape from a world I don't much like I think. It allows me to breathe and for my mind to break free.
I could not have expressed it better.....before the twins were born our home was just 4 walls and a roof. A place to stay while we worked. We have so many distinct memories of little hole in the wall locations through out our travels. A lot of contentment in my life now because of these travels. The twins might not remember much but they have been from Niagara Falls to Quincey Market to Mt. Washington. As long as I have a breath in my soul they will experience traveling at a young age. It's not for everyone, but it has truly filled my life with some of the best experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel