Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 02:29 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,175,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxrider View Post
I won't give that country a dime until they clean up their drug and crime issues. Florida or the Carribean for me
If you shop at WalMart you regularly give them money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 03:20 PM

14,463 posts, read 14,422,627 times
I think Mexico is not a good vacation value when you take into account:

1. concerns about crime and violence;
2. sanitation and standards that are not on equivalent with America (particularly diarrhea and food poisoning;
3. the presence of many poor and down-and-out folks that detract from my vacation experience;

If you want good weather and beaches, my advice is go to Hawaii. Its not much more expensive than Mexico is and you get the benefit of American law and American health and safety standards for your money. If you can't afford Hawaii, than settle for Florida.

I don't just limit this to Mexico. I 've traveled most of the Caribbean and after seeing it all, I rather just go to a Florida beach on the Gulf of Mexico. Perhaps, I just lack a sense of adventure. There is just too much about these parts of the world that is creepy. I can almost read the minds of some of the natives when I visit these countries. I think many of them are very jealous of us and are tempted to make "short work" of us. I don't like that feeling at all.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:25 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,175,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think Mexico is not a good vacation value when you take into account:

1. concerns about crime and violence;
2. sanitation and standards that are not on equivalent with America (particularly diarrhea and food poisoning;
3. the presence of many poor and down-and-out folks that detract from my vacation experience;

If you want good weather and beaches, my advice is go to Hawaii. Its not much more expensive than Mexico is and you get the benefit of American law and American health and safety standards for your money. If you can't afford Hawaii, than settle for Florida.

I don't just limit this to Mexico. I 've traveled most of the Caribbean and after seeing it all, I rather just go to a Florida beach on the Gulf of Mexico. Perhaps, I just lack a sense of adventure. There is just too much about these parts of the world that is creepy. I can almost read the minds of some of the natives when I visit these countries. I think many of them are very jealous of us and are tempted to make "short work" of us. I don't like that feeling at all.
Hawaii isn't much more expensive than Mexico? Maybe if you're sleeping on a beach and paddling a canoe to get there.

The US Virgin islands or British Virgin Islands are considerably less expensive and equally as safe with the same sanitation as you'll find in Hawaii.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:26 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,211,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A friend of mine was murdered in front of his hotel in Montego Bay. He and his wife were on their way back from dinner in the tourist area two blocks from the hotel when they were mugged. The readily handed over what they had--wedding rings, some cash. One of the thugs then stabbed my friend in the chest for no reason. Nicked his heart and he bled to death on the street in his wife's arms waiting for help.

It's my opinion that if you stay within the tourist areas, you are far safer in most of Mexico than anywhere in Jamaica.
I am sorry to here about your friend.Usually the tourist areas are quite safe in Jamaica. Get outside of them and you are on your own. You couldn't pay me to go to Kingston.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:16 PM

405 posts, read 825,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I stayed in Cancun in November of 2011. I experienced no trouble whatsoever. What was a bit unnerving was my fiancee and I had never been to Mexico. No one told us about all of the military personnel who would be walking around Cancun. It just made me feel uneasy walking to La Isla Mall with guys standing by trees with assault rifles. I know there trying to protect everyone. Now I know what to expect.
Yeah, but that's the thing: If you go to Mexico, you want to go to MEXICO!!! If you're only going to go to touristy areas where most of the locals speak English and you sit on a resort all day, then you might as well stay in the U.S. and just go to a beach in Florida.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,854,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually they were NOT at a tourist resort. They had rented a house outside the main resorts area. Other published reports have alleged that the victims had bought drugs from the attackers a day previous.

Official: Arrests coming in Mexico tourist rapes - CNN.com
If they went there to buy drugs, then they deserved everything they got. No one can be so stupid that they don't know how the Mexican drug traffickers are -- they are the worst kind of people possible. They saw off heads, they'll do anything for money, anything at all. The only thing is that they ususally leave people alone who don't get involved with them.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I was in Mexico this fall and had zero issues. It's an interesting country with lots to offer. Sure you stay away from the bordertowns and other crazy areas. That only makes sense, much like you avoid certain areas in every nation on earth - including the US. I never felt unsafe and I didn't stick to the tourist areas. I explored a bit. Granted I was in Southern Mexico which is very different from the north.
Actually it's not just border towns. That's what many tourist types believe but one of the biggest areas of drug trafficking is Michoacan, which is in the south. And years ago, if you traveled around Mexico, people in Mexico would tell you to avoid the state of Guerrero, you could go to Acapulco (then) and be fine but don't just go wandering around outside Acapulco.

Mexico's problems aren't really just recent. Juarez's homicide rate has fallen and it's now only the #19 most dangerous city in the world which means you can travel to Juarez safely enough. Just keep in mind it's ranked #19 for dangerous cities. It's actually a lot safer now in part because a lot of the bad people got taken out.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 AM

16,411 posts, read 30,392,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Mexico's problems aren't really just recent. Juarez's homicide rate has fallen and it's now only the #19 most dangerous city in the world which means you can travel to Juarez safely enough. Just keep in mind it's ranked #19 for dangerous cities. It's actually a lot safer now in part because a lot of the bad people got taken out.
The corporate security types who I talk to take very little solace that the murder rates in Juarez is down. Most corporate executives traveling to the town come with a significant armed security detail.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The corporate security types who I talk to take very little solace that the murder rates in Juarez is down. Most corporate executives traveling to the town come with a significant armed security detail.
And how many of them were ever killed even when the homicide rate was at it's highest?

Old 02-10-2013, 12:30 PM

7,616 posts, read 6,126,070 times
The cruise ships still stop at Cozumel, and other than some futile and unsuccessful attempts at pickpocketing, we have never had a problem there. Thing is, we have also done all we ever care to do there, so next time we go, probably get off and stay within the cruise terminal area, drink some beer and buy some tequila to take home. We have seen the Mayan ruins, the beach, the old church, eaten in a couple of good restauants, and shopped. Last I checked that was all there is to do there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel