Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,073 times

Advertisements

Hello, internet. I have decided to create this forum, in hopes that some of you can enlighten me or provide details outside of my knowledge when it comes to moving to either city listed above. Please don't get snarky. I am well aware how ridiculously expensive these places can be, but I am up for the challenge. I live in Miami FL, and I am about to graduate with my associates degree. I might study here to obtain my Bachelors in Communications/Journalism. It depends on how I am doing monetarily, and if I am ready to make "the big move" I am 20 years old, and won't be older than 24 when I decide to move out. I am also saving $ to be able to make the move smoother, and I already have a willing room mate. Many of you might be wondering why someone would want to move out of a place that people flock to, well that's because I loathe miami for several reasons: 1) Culturally, this place is lacking for me. There ARE art shows, concerts, and many clubs to explore, (I am aware it's not Georgia or Alabama, no offense) But, it seems like clubbing and the occasional "artistic" tiny endeavors are the only things offered..I like parties, but I do not LOVE them. I LOVE the arts. 2) miami beach gets over rated when you've lived there your whole life. Quite frankly, I'm bored. (hope I am not greedy, don't bite my head off) And 3) as liz lemon said from 30rock, "FL is the dick of the united states". Enough about FL. I am highly interested in the arts, (theatre [more acting, and less musical], film, music, museums, and anything related) I'd like to acquire a steady job in order to pay for more acting training. (another thing miami isn't best suited for) However, I also love writing. I know LA is the entertainment capital of the world, and I know there isn't anything like the culture in NYC. (been to NYC many times for vacation) ONE aspect about Miami I like, is the unbeatable weather, though some can argue that the humidity is horrid and they want seasons, I disagree 'cause NYC's cold depressed me at times. I always thought, if I made a living in San Diego, or a place close to LA, I could train up and not be another clown who strolls into auditions, without experience, and be in a more affordable setting than NY. Also, I hear people are nicer in the west coast than the east were it's more pretentious and the pace is daunting. I am willing to work hard for what I want, I want to be close to as much culture as I can, I enjoy warm weather, (like 40's is my limit for the cold) I do not plan on raising a family any time soon, (children don't seem like a future goal either) and I'd like to be near publicists or auditions for either writing or acting outlets/training. I like the idea that cali is very liberal, as I am well...very liberal. gay friendly, 420 accepting, the works. I am not too big on spending $$ when it comes to restaurants and such. I'm cool with slumming it, but I would spend my $$ on concerts, events, music, film, theatre, etc. A lot of people have told me to try making a living in california, to be near LA, and vacation in NY when i can, but I know the unemployment rates are higher in cali, and owning a car, with insurance and gas payments is a factor, unlike NY where the public transit is fantastic. Not to mention taxes in cali are crazy, or so I've read/heard. But then people have told me to work in NY, train in acting there, withstand the constant "Go, go, go" and THEN try places near L.A where the actors there are already somewhat established. I don't know, people can talk a lot of bull. (sidenote, I visited Chicago, and I loved the theatre, but it was dying cold, and for that I figure NY just tops it) Also, a lot of people have told me if I want exciting, culturally rich environments, that san diego is boring....and I should erase it from my list (Which i think "How can a place like san diego be boring? There's a fine line between what's offered to you, and your personality willing to have fun") I think San Francisco is far too expensive for someone young like me, or so I have heard. I loved how it could be 4 in the morning, and new york was still awake as if it were 10:30, 11. Literally, the pulse there is so evident. Would san diego/LA be the same? Obviously not, but could I fulfill my cultural fix? Please, don't chew me out, I am open to criticism and advice, but being an a$$hole via the anonymous internet is cowardly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 02:29 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,353,501 times
Holy text block Batman!

You may get more responses if you reformat your post so that it's easier to read. Paragraphs are your friend and are not to be feared.

I will also note that since you seem (from what I could gather before my eyes began to bleed) to be looking to relocate to these cities versus just visiting on a trip or vacation, the City vs. City forum would best suit your needs.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,078,866 times
I'd look at NYC. You can live in a very safe but less expensive area in NJ that's still within an hour train ride of midtown Manhattan. It would be a good way to get your feet wet. If you can find a good job in NYC that pays the rent, move closer.

With only an AA you aren't going to find a job in the industry you are looking for. You'll need a BA, and I'd strongly advise that you obtain it through Florida's very inexpensive public university system.

I wouldn't consider San Diego for the type of work you are looking for, but I also would consider Boston, Chicago, and Nashville--which has a nice climate, lower cost of living, and relatively decent job market in the industries you are looking at.

FYI--Chicago is colder than NYC and Boston.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:17 AM

43,701 posts, read 44,455,186 times
I suggest you post this on the General U.S. forum in order to get more replies.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:22 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,104,757 times
I'm sorry, but for a journalism major, you sure are hard to read. I could not read it all; my eyes rebelled. So, I am not really sure what the actual question turned out to be.

I am wondering what a journalism degree qualifies you for, job-wise. Burger flipper? Newspapers are a dying business and TV news shows have turned into gossip magazines. I don't know where there would be any jobs in journalism, if that is what the question was. What few jobs that exist are going to have a zillion applicants, and very few openings. New York would probably be your best bet.

As for culture, Manhatten is a good place.

Los Angeles has some really good art museums and theater. A lot of the culture is hispanic based; nothing wrong with that. I don't consider it a great place to live, but several million people disagree with me.

San Diego is beautiful and has perfect weather. There are a few good museums and a small amount of decent theater, but that is not what the city is about. Basically San Diego is an overgrown beach town.

You've chosen some mighty expensive places to live and "culture" tends to cost money for admission tickets and appropriate clothes to wear. I sure hope that journalism degree is going to provide you with a huge salary.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:24 AM

oh, one last thought: perhaps see about getting a job and move to where the job is located. That might be your best option for picking a place to live.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:29 AM

My small town seems to be one of the places where journalists start their career. The TV station hires clumsy doofuses and, I suspect, pays them peanuts for long hours. As soon as they learn how to read the teleprompter and smile a bit more naturally, they transfer to some small podunk cable channel news station.

I assume that once they learn more, then they transfer to a slightly bigger cable channel news station, and work their way up the ladder. I doubt that anyone with a brand new bachelor degree ends up at CBS in NYC.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,948,869 times
I actually read the entire OP and I couldn't focus on the content, question or rant due to the horrid grammatical errors, punctuation mistakes and rambling nature of the post.
I think you may have a future in journalism as a professional "confuser" !
The post looks to be typical of a person who had just gotten a bit 420 ish.
I'm not bashing the OP but I am a bit amused.
I do admire the OPs sense of "ambition" and that is good for a 20 year old.
Good luck to you but try to use paragraphs next time. I also think that NYC may be your best bet.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,078,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My small town seems to be one of the places where journalists start their career. The TV station hires clumsy doofuses and, I suspect, pays them peanuts for long hours. As soon as they learn how to read the teleprompter and smile a bit more naturally, they transfer to some small podunk cable channel news station.

I assume that once they learn more, then they transfer to a slightly bigger cable channel news station, and work their way up the ladder. I doubt that anyone with a brand new bachelor degree ends up at CBS in NYC.
It's actually better to start running the board and writing fluff pieces for a NYC metro station where you'll eventually get a chance to be in front of a camera Christmas overnight. That will give you a lot more credibility and springboard your career.

Also there are a lot more PR industry jobs in major metro areas.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:19 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,694,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laviebohemerp123 View Post
Hello, internet. I have decided to create this forum, in hopes that some of you can enlighten me or provide details outside of my knowledge when it comes to moving to either city listed above. Please don't get snarky. I am well aware how ridiculously expensive these places can be, but I am up for the challenge. I live in Miami FL, and I am about to graduate with my associates degree. I might study here to obtain my Bachelors in Communications/Journalism. It depends on how I am doing monetarily, and if I am ready to make "the big move" I am 20 years old, and won't be older than 24 when I decide to move out. I am also saving $ to be able to make the move smoother, and I already have a willing room mate. Many of you might be wondering why someone would want to move out of a place that people flock to, well that's because I loathe miami for several reasons: 1) Culturally, this place is lacking for me. There ARE art shows, concerts, and many clubs to explore, (I am aware it's not Georgia or Alabama, no offense) But, it seems like clubbing and the occasional "artistic" tiny endeavors are the only things offered..I like parties, but I do not LOVE them. I LOVE the arts. 2) miami beach gets over rated when you've lived there your whole life. Quite frankly, I'm bored. (hope I am not greedy, don't bite my head off) And 3) as liz lemon said from 30rock, "FL is the dick of the united states". Enough about FL. I am highly interested in the arts, (theatre [more acting, and less musical], film, music, museums, and anything related) I'd like to acquire a steady job in order to pay for more acting training. (another thing miami isn't best suited for) However, I also love writing. I know LA is the entertainment capital of the world, and I know there isn't anything like the culture in NYC. (been to NYC many times for vacation) ONE aspect about Miami I like, is the unbeatable weather, though some can argue that the humidity is horrid and they want seasons, I disagree 'cause NYC's cold depressed me at times. I always thought, if I made a living in San Diego, or a place close to LA, I could train up and not be another clown who strolls into auditions, without experience, and be in a more affordable setting than NY. Also, I hear people are nicer in the west coast than the east were it's more pretentious and the pace is daunting. I am willing to work hard for what I want, I want to be close to as much culture as I can, I enjoy warm weather, (like 40's is my limit for the cold) I do not plan on raising a family any time soon, (children don't seem like a future goal either) and I'd like to be near publicists or auditions for either writing or acting outlets/training. I like the idea that cali is very liberal, as I am well...very liberal. gay friendly, 420 accepting, the works. I am not too big on spending $$ when it comes to restaurants and such. I'm cool with slumming it, but I would spend my $$ on concerts, events, music, film, theatre, etc. A lot of people have told me to try making a living in california, to be near LA, and vacation in NY when i can, but I know the unemployment rates are higher in cali, and owning a car, with insurance and gas payments is a factor, unlike NY where the public transit is fantastic. Not to mention taxes in cali are crazy, or so I've read/heard. But then people have told me to work in NY, train in acting there, withstand the constant "Go, go, go" and THEN try places near L.A where the actors there are already somewhat established. I don't know, people can talk a lot of bull. (sidenote, I visited Chicago, and I loved the theatre, but it was dying cold, and for that I figure NY just tops it) Also, a lot of people have told me if I want exciting, culturally rich environments, that san diego is boring....and I should erase it from my list (Which i think "How can a place like san diego be boring? There's a fine line between what's offered to you, and your personality willing to have fun") I think San Francisco is far too expensive for someone young like me, or so I have heard. I loved how it could be 4 in the morning, and new york was still awake as if it were 10:30, 11. Literally, the pulse there is so evident. Would san diego/LA be the same? Obviously not, but could I fulfill my cultural fix? Please, don't chew me out, I am open to criticism and advice, but being an a$$hole via the anonymous internet is cowardly.
No offense, but even though you may love writing, you might have more success in a field that takes advantage of your abilities.

To answer your question, I'd pick Chicago. Forget the weather; it's only bad for a few months, and New York isn't much better. Chicago has what you want in decent amounts, without the obscene cost of living of New York. With a roommate, you could make it work in Chicago. The transportation is great, the city is fun, arts and entertainment abound, and you don't have to deal with the mess that is the northeastern US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel