Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,086,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
Well, I have to fly back to London anyway to catch my flight back to Boston. I was flying back to London after I visit my friend in Germany to catch a flight to Barcelona to visit another friend. If Barcelona doesn't work, I'll go somewhere else until it's time for me to head back to Boston.
Why not just fly back from your final stop? The few dollars price difference between an open jaw is far less than a second round trip ticket.

Book BOS>LHR
EasyJet O/W to Germany.
Train Germany to Prague or book O/W Germany to BCN.
BCN>BOS or PRG>BOS on the same PNR as BOS>LHR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 AM

497 posts, read 1,694,675 times
Correction. My friend will only be in Barcelona until June. So that's out. Maybe I will check out Prague. What about Italy, Greece, or somewhere else in Europe that's not too expensive, fun and not hard to get to?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:06 AM

264 posts, read 309,500 times
All fun and relatively inexpensive, for European cities: Krakow, Dubrovnik, Ljubljana...

Ireland is always fun for a solo trip.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:10 PM

LOVE Dubrovnik! It's affordable and safe. The people are friendly and English is commonly spoken. You can take the ferry to other Croatian cities like Split, Hvar, and Trojir as a day trip. There's a growing US ex-pat community there, and plenty of places to eat/drink/explore.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 PM

5 posts, read 7,493 times
Do some research on Hostels in Europe and even other areas (have not used any in US, but have been told there are some)

Here is just one link - Google Hostels and you can get a nice list
http://www.hostelworld.com/hostels/e...FQ3nnAodlm4ABA

a page 50 things to do free in Europe ~ just throwing ideas out
Things to do for free in Europe | Hostelworld.com

I watched a documentary about a guy (think his name is Joe) that lived for 30 days going all over the US and everything was totally free. Look it up. Craigslist Joe | a documentary film

Many mentioned the trains. That is the best way to travel Europe rather than flying everywhere. You see so much more and will thoroughly enjoy it. I lived in Europe for almost 4 yrs and totally enjoyed it. Learn a little of the language of the area you visit. They almost all (at least the younger ones) speak better English than we Americans do, but they often are self conscience about it. They think they do not speak it well. Show that you are trying to respect and speak their language, but always learn the line in the language of the area, "Do you speak English?" I carried at least one dictionary at the time with me, but now we are fortunate with such great technology it can all be at your fingertips and a lot lighter. : )

Someone else mentioned Las Vegas. Even if you do not do that at this time ('cause I would go to Europe my first trip), you need to do that also. Start early looking (should do this with any trip for as many deals as you can. Often you may get freebies just come. Register with different places and you may even get Birthday free etc...... They want you there to spend your money (set and amount if you do plan to play a bit with gambling and discipline yourself~do not go over your set amount. If you win, keep it. Do not try again....they want you to do that. The greatest thing! A lot of programs are offered free, especially programs that are geared to persons that may want to do more 'family like' or touring so the parents/adults will feel they should spend a bit of their money. Discipline yourself and enjoy the freebies and almost freebies. You ahve to eat at least one time at the expensive buffet (we ate the one at the Bellagio where we stayed - all was great!). The buffet is definitely worth every penny and I do not believe in spending so much money on one meal, this one is Great! Check them all out. Most places have inexpensive little restaurants and the VERY HIGH Cost ones too. Set your prices and do not go over. You can do it and have lots of fun. My plans are to have a family reunion there one day with my sons and their families since a lot of what we would do will be free.

Hawaii is another place available for us in the US more often. You may as time goes on run across a great deal if you keep an eye out for there too. The airfare is what can get you unless you shop and research more than anything.

Take the chance and go and do all you can. Enjoy!!!
You only live once!
God Bless

Old 01-07-2013, 12:37 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,953,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
Correction. My friend will only be in Barcelona until June. So that's out. Maybe I will check out Prague. What about Italy, Greece, or somewhere else in Europe that's not too expensive, fun and not hard to get to?
Again. Turkey is a great country. Istanbul or the Turkish Riviera. You can fly on Turkish Airlines (#1 European Airline) round trip at least from Chicago right now for around $700 even to Antalya, Izmir, or Fetiyhe. It's close to Greece so you have the same type of clear, blue water, warm water, and white sand beaches.

Apparently, Turkish Riviera is UK's version of Florida.

Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by Marka; 10-26-2013 at 02:43 AM..

Old 01-07-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Again. Turkey is a great country. Istanbul or the Turkish Riviera. You can fly on Turkish Airlines (#1 European Airline) round trip at least from Chicago right now for around $700 even to Antalya, Izmir, or Fetiyhe. It's close to Greece so you have the same type of clear, blue water, warm water, and white sand beaches.

Apparently, Turkish Riviera is UK's version of Florida.
That looks nothing like Florida.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,953,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That looks nothing like Florida.
Yeah, you didn't understand the analogy. It means that people from the UK will travel to the Turkish Riviera for a "beach holiday" in Europe, just like many people in the US travel to Florida for a "beach holiday." It has nothing to do with whether their geographies look like each other (other than beaches with nice water).

Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,742,454 times
Portugal is cheap and easily-accessible from London. Either Porto, a terrific city, or Lisbon.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,140,793 times
yeah, stick with Europe for this time in your life and availability of friends. Use CasaCasa or Guesthomes or Hostels. Consider buying a 'package' for CHEAP airfare + a few stops you might enjoy, but definitely do most on your own, and stay LONG.

Live, eat, entertain like a local, it will be quite cheap and a more rich experience. Staying with locals is TOPS.

Good idea to reward yourself, I just finished another grad degree (post age 50). I never have done the 'reward' thing, but REALLY enjoyed taking 7 yrs off from work, after being fulltime employed since age 15.

Since you have just completed some fresh schooling, look for some international employment. I did that MUCH, and it was the BEST career and TRAVEL / relationship effort I made. It really helped the family to GROW UP with a better world view (as we also homeschooled our kids while living / traveling internationally). It was not always ez or FUN... but was worth the disruption to your life (and it is a BIG one).

Family, couple or single we ALWAYS travel VERY affordably ~ $10 / night for lodging, $10 for food (unless in Europe, then $20), mostly FREE events, and transportation... $$$ (unless you are really creative...) I use FREE fryer grease for fuel in my 50 mpg car (bought for $35). On vacation I hitch-hike and bicycle and WALK a lot. I average about 3 months vacation / yr for last 40 yrs. Very lucky indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel