Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 07:29 PM

2,424 posts, read 4,501,567 times

Advertisements

The story is here, but I don't think this is the real story.

A woman, Caitlin, met Josh online last year, and they were married. Their first trip last year was to tour Central America. Now, there are some beautiful places in Central America, but there's also a bunch of political hot-spots and very dangerous areas.

This year, while she is pregnant, they took off on another tour. Russia, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan, and then finally to Afghanistan. They ended up in a Taliban-controlled part of Afghanistan in early October, and have not been heard from since.

She is American, Josh is Canadian, and authorities in both countries are looking for them, with no success.

I just find it bizarre that this man that she just met would be taking her not "all over the world" but just to all the political hot spots, and I think there's some back story.

Unfortunately, since she's now almost 9 months pregnant, and already had health problems, it doesn't sound good for locating her.

Has anyone else heard about this story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,509,212 times
Is this "True Crime"?

Defer to the group regarding discussion.

And some folks just have no sense, I suppose. Not blaming the victims, but perhaps, some common sense is appropriate when it comes to choosing travel places.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:14 PM

5,756 posts, read 11,675,795 times
It is a bizarre story. However, Afghanistan does have a small industry built around foreign tourists, including Europeans and Americans. Usually, though, those tourists stick to certain areas and itineraries. They don't go bounding off on their own into smaller towns and villages, due to the (very obvious) heightened risk of being kidnapped.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:40 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,826,976 times
Yes, this story has been floating around on main stream news today. Seems her father has gone public with it trying to find his daughter. It does appear they were abducted but by what group no one seems to know.

Foolish, foolish young people. " Hi Honey" I'm pregnant. " "OK, let go on vacation to some very third world central Asian countries then we'll swing by Afghanistan. "

I hate to say this but I think this may be a RIP situation.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:59 PM

5,756 posts, read 11,675,795 times
They were probably kidnapped by locals, perhaps just small-time criminals unconnected to any "militant" groups. They would carry out an abduction like that for cash, hoping to sell their hostages to a militant organization either in that region, or somewhere else. Once the pair are purchased by the militant organization, the militants would make actual ransom/political demands.

Small-timers don't make direct demands because they don't want to attract that kind of attention to themselves. They don't necessarily have the skills or resources to fend off rescue missions by NATO or even local police. They just want the money. That's probably why there are no immediate claims of responsibility or requests for ransom.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,074,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
They were probably kidnapped by locals, perhaps just small-time criminals unconnected to any "militant" groups. They would carry out an abduction like that for cash, hoping to sell their hostages to a militant organization either in that region, or somewhere else. Once the pair are purchased by the militant organization, the militants would make actual ransom/political demands.

Small-timers don't make direct demands because they don't want to attract that kind of attention to themselves. They don't necessarily have the skills or resources to fend off rescue missions by NATO or even local police. They just want the money. That's probably why there are no immediate claims of responsibility or requests for ransom.
The woman was an idiot for allowing this man to talk her into going to such high risk places. The desperation to be with and keep a man by some women is absolutely mind boggling.

How much you wanna make a bet that HE makes it out unscathed somehow?

Old 12-30-2012, 10:51 PM

44,740 posts, read 62,033,127 times
This was published today by news media USA Today...

U.S. family pleas for couple missing in Afghanistan

Old 01-01-2013, 06:18 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,258,478 times
Something isn't right about this story from any way you want to look at it.

(I think it belongs in True Crime, not Travel...)

Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,888,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
The woman was an idiot for allowing this man to talk her into going to such high risk places. The desperation to be with and keep a man by some women is absolutely mind boggling.

How much you wanna make a bet that HE makes it out unscathed somehow?
Hello! Maybe it was her crazy idea and he didn't want to look like a wimp by not keeping up with his pregnant wife. They're both nuts though. I love to travel but I hate it when I get kidnapped.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 AM

881 posts, read 1,820,773 times
According to the Canadian press, the couple met online years ago (as teenagers), but married in 2011.

Not sure why the US news media didn't pick up on the husband's involvement with the Khadr family...or why the wife's family did not disclose (or perhaps know) this when going public with their search for the pair.

Khadr’s Canadian ex-husband and new wife missing in Afghanistan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel