Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 12:03 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,160,011 times

Advertisements

I always got the most out of Let's Go. We used it extensively, and found hostels, etc., where we stayed as described. Much more geared to a younger traveler, too.

And I'm terrible about the sanctity of books, but if there are large areas she plans not to go ... rip the book apart and leave that at home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 PM

905 posts, read 3,457,401 times
Pilgrim offers some great advice!

I discovered Europe via Rick Steve's so he gets 2 thumbs up from me!

I have also used Lonely Planet and Rough Guides, both are very worthy references/guide books.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,059,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I always got the most out of Let's Go. We used it extensively, and found hostels, etc., where we stayed as described. Much more geared to a younger traveler, too.

And I'm terrible about the sanctity of books, but if there are large areas she plans not to go ... rip the book apart and leave that at home!
I think you and I might be in the minority, but I like Let's Go the best too, love the layout and writing style.
I have used all of the guidebook brands at one time or another, RG, LP, Moon, Fodor's etc but keep going back to Let's Go (and I'm old!) There is a Let's Go Europe 2013, but it will not be released until after Christmas.
Another idea:
Rick Steves' Mona Winks is a helpful self-guided tour of Europe's top museums. My older son used it years ago, the first time he traveled Europe by himself.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,109,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post

While its a nice idea, its totally impractical (IMO) to find one book for Europe generally. Its actually hard to find one thats a good overview for a single country, which again - is not really all that useful as there are just too many differing attractions to be practical to list in hard copy.
I agree that there is no single one-size-fits-all book, although I think the Rick Steve's books do a great job of giving solid basic info on historical and cultural attractions as well as other places of interest and restaurants/hotels without overloading. I really like the "Pocket" versions with the maps.

Quote:
Pre-trip targeted research on particular interest topics (art, architecture, cultural fairs, etc., etc.) would be my suggestion for that most certainly desirable information. We have a rather large collection of regional and city specific travel guides at home which we use as well as current Internet research to compile "interest lists" for specific areas. We then send an email with the list(s) to our travel email account (highly recommend that your traveler set-up a separate email account for that purpose) to access while traveling.
One thing I'd suggest is to not over plan. Leave 30% of one's time on a trip to Europe to be able to just explore with no particular itinerary.

Quote:
She can also use public Internet access in country to explore particular areas.
This can be expensive if you don't have your own device to connect to Wi-Fi.

Quote:
Re: Gifts (having no idea of the budget range you want to deal with, whether this is a 1st time traveler or one who already has the suggestions below, feel free to ignore)

1) A quality day purse is very handy. Make sure it has RFID and slash protection. She does not want to carry her valuables in a backpack. A less expensive alternative is a set of RFID protective sleeves for passport and credit cards.
RFID is only needed if you've got cards with chips or your passport isn't new. I've got nothing that uses an RFID that I travel with. I also think "slash protection" is over rated. Use it for items with no real value (tissues, an umbrella, aspirins, water bottle, etc.) and keep your passport, credit cards, cash, etc. in a waist pack under your clothes.

I use a cross-body bag by Kipling. Small enough to be considered a "purse" and allowed into the museums but large enough to hold everything I need for a day.

Quote:
2) A nice money belt and/or neck carrier (under clothing is best) for passport, CCs and cash is always useful.
We've looked at both numerous times and always determine that the money belt/waist wallet is safer. A neck pouch can be grabbed and slashed just like a shoulder bag. They are a little warm in hot months, but virtually impossible for someone to get their hands onto as they are worn under the clothes and a potential robber would need to partially undress you to get to them. Keep a few bills/coins in a pocket to make small purchases without having to dig into the waist pouch.

Quote:
3) If a cellphone is on the program, either buy an appropriate chip if required (I'm not up on whether the latest US Smart phones are EU compatible) or consider covering the cost of a temporary/throw away European phone.
If you have an iPhone from ATT it came with an international SIM. If you have an account in good standing with Versizon, they will ship you the card for your iPhone for free. Early Droids are not compatible with other systems. I can't speak for other phones. The beauty of the iPhone is that it can be used for talk and Internet as well as text. I am on Verizon and got the international SIM for my iPhone and had them turn on international service while I was gone. I used the Internet/email judiciously when no connected to wi-fi but called home daily. Total charges were about $100 for three weeks this past summer.

Quote:
4) A nice weatherproof, crushable hat is indispensable.
Crushable, yes. Weatherproof, not needed. Instead get a very compact umbrella to carry if it looks like there might be rain.

Quote:
5) A quality rain poncho is always handy. The "el cheapos" will fail apart after minimal use.
Disagree. Ponchos are hot and clumsy. A compact umbrella is a better choice.

Quote:
6) Quality, all weather trekking shoes/boots are a must have item. If you go that route, plan on a minimum month pre-trip break-in period.
Unless they are planning on doing a lot of hiking in rural areas, there are other options. I'd suggest closed toed for places like the Roman Forum, Pompeii, the Acropolis, etc., but open-toed walking sandals are fine for urban walking. I like Merrill for closed-toed but well vented walking shoes and Clark's for comfortable sandals.

Quote:
7) Appropriate electrical plug(s) (usually with transformer) for the particular EU area is needed for cellphone/IPAD/laptop, etc. for recharging. Extra batteries and memory chips for her camera are also useful.
There are many places that sell transformer/converters that will handle all varieties of European outlets. You only need one. Most cameras have rechargeable batteries, charge them overnight as needed. I agree on the memory chips, I suggest taking one in the camera and one spare and leaving the rest in the safe at the hotel. Number them with a Sharpie and use in order so you don't get them mixed up.

One thing I'd suggest is an aluminum water bottle. They are lightweight and pretty much unbreakable and the tap water in most of Europe is very agreeable and safe to drink. It will save a small fortune on bottled water, not to mention be more environmentally friendly. I'd also suggest some "Charmin To-Go" which is a small roll of TP in a plastic shell. I came across a couple of public toilets without TP in Europe and it was handy.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,484,171 times
I'm going to be the contrarian and offer that you do away with the guidebooks altogether.

If you need advice/info, I've found www.wikitravel.org to be fantastic. At the very least (for a smaller, out of the way destination), it will recommend a few restaurants and a few hotels.

If your cousin is pre-booking into hotels/hostels, then all one needs is restaurant and sightseeing information. I've found that in Europe, the boutique, family owned 3 stars tend to be the best hotels in providing practical tourist assistance such as "These are our city's top attractions. This tram should get you there." or "This restaurant should give you a good sense of local cuisine."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel