Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 10:21 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,106 times

Advertisements

We recently stayed in a vacation home and there were several issues while there. I contacted the owner about them and she was rude and condescending. After the trip I emailed her asking for a partial refund because of some things that were either missing, or unusable. She said no. I was fine with that, I wanted to try that route first before I wrote a review. I let her know that I would let people know in a review what had happened. She then emails me and threatens to take legal action against me if I do. Her exact words were this:

Should I find any negative comments anywhere re our house from you or anyone associated with you I will put it straight into the hands of our US business attorney as this is called liable in the UK and is completely unfounded.

Can she do this? I did write a review that was 100% factual because I am not going to be bullied, but I was just wondering if this is legal for her to do? Can you threaten people if they write a negative review?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 02:19 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
All I know is that the libel laws in the UK are extremely strict and few cases ever come to court for that reason.

Do you have documentation to support any comments you want to make in your review, such as photos of broken equipment or copies of emails you sent the owner to complain about defective items before you left the property?

Old 10-25-2012, 02:22 PM

959 posts, read 1,824,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
All I know is that the libel laws in the UK are extremely strict and few cases ever come to court for that reason.

Do you have documentation to support any comments you want to make in your review, such as photos of broken equipment or copies of emails you sent the owner to complain about defective items before you left the property?

Yes I have all emails back and forth both when I was in the home and when I returned from the vacation. She admits to taking out the grill and not replacing it and tells me that I should not have expected it since it was a free amenity. However, in my quote for the price of the house it says $1695.00 which includes taxes/phone/internet and use of a BBQ. That tells me that there SHOULD have been a grill there no matter if I paid extra for it or not. It was included in my quote, which I still have as well.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:29 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
As long as it's the truth, you can say it and she has no case.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:07 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
IF your quote specifically mentions certain things that then were missing or broken I don't see why you couldn't say so in your review. If you're still unsure maybe check with an attorney?

Old 10-27-2012, 05:07 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,126 times
IMO I think you should have done a walk through at the beginning of the stay, and if there were any descrepencies found, let them know your concerns and give them a chance to rectify them. Don't these places have some kind of management company in the ststes? Also, if the issues were really bad, take pictures to give yourself more of a leg to stand on.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
IMO I think you should have done a walk through at the beginning of the stay, and if there were any descrepencies found, let them know your concerns and give them a chance to rectify them. Don't these places have some kind of management company in the ststes? Also, if the issues were really bad, take pictures to give yourself more of a leg to stand on.
Most management companies are pretty laughable and unless the place was on fire, unresponsive. They usually take the "we're just the middleman" stance where anything the owner states is in the house but isn't is between the renter and owner.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:21 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Check out Chris Elliott Consumer Column from last week, it goes into the good/bad of the short term (Sight unseen) rentals.

Can you trust a vacation rental?

Old 10-28-2012, 01:39 PM

393 posts, read 782,858 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Hammy, sounds to me like she is just trying to scare you and take advantage of you because you are unfamiliar with local laws. If it was me, I would again tell her I plan to write the review because it's the truth and that I have pictures and emails to prove all of my claims. I would again offer not to write it if she rectified the situation by giving me a partial refund.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-29-2012 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - post referred to has been removed

Old 10-28-2012, 02:06 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,603,272 times
As long as you are not slandering or using defamation of character you can say/review anything you please. It's a freedom of speech issue. She has the option of rebuting it. If you have proof of wrong doing (torts) and the evidence to go with it the law is on your side.
You must also weight the cost of this problem versus the hassle of trying to resolve it. If you get a lawyer involved then the costs increase substantially and if you should go to court then even more costs etc etc. If you're talking only a few hundred dollars then mark it up to experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel