Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:51 PM

972 posts, read 2,456,321 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done this? I cannot get a straight answer to what all we have to send in. We have to use the Washington location.

Some services say we need to include a birth certificate and copies of the parents' passports. But, neither of us have a passport. I never got one and my husband's is long expired.

Any help is greatly appriciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 05:29 AM

44,218 posts, read 45,109,155 times
Maybe you can find the information here:
<font color="#0000FF">Chinese Visa</font>

Old 03-13-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Thanks, but no. It was our starting point. But lead nowhere.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,918,714 times
If they say they want your passports then that's what they want. You will have to get some ! It's no good arguing with bureaucrats.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 70,062,003 times
Your post is very confusing.

If you are a US citizen planning a trip to China or anywhere else outside the US then you obviously need a passport in order to travel. Your minor child needs to be added to one of the parent's passports until he or she reaches the age where an individual passport can be issued. I don't understand what the problem is. Get a passport for yourself and have your husband renew his.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Your post is very confusing.

If you are a US citizen planning a trip to China or anywhere else outside the US then you obviously need a passport in order to travel. Your minor child needs to be added to one of the parent's passports until he or she reaches the age where an individual passport can be issued. I don't understand what the problem is. Get a passport for yourself and have your husband renew his.
We don't need a passport - we aren't going. The minor child has her own passport. She doesn't need to be added to ours.

There is just a lot of confusing information and I have not been able to reach anyone at the Chinese embasy to clarify what papers they require. Their website doesn't list any details for American minors traveling without parents. Visa agents list different requirements. And, to make things really fun, each Chinese consulate or embassy has slightly different requirements.

I was hoping maybe someone who has gone through this process might see this thread and post a reply. Thank you to everyone who didn't have actual experience but still took the time to try to help.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:16 AM

26,526 posts, read 52,124,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
There is just a lot of confusing information and I have not been able to reach anyone at the Chinese embasy to clarify what papers they require.
You started the thread with the statement "Chinese visa for a minor" and there a lot of factors you did not bother to initially supply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
Thanks, but no. It was our starting point. But lead nowhere.
Fact: It is the Chinese Embassy which issues Visas for China. No one else can do it...

Old 03-14-2012, 12:03 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,872,470 times

Here is a previous thread regarding the Chinese VISA process, however it does not specifically address VISA's for minors.

As Poncho_NM stated, you MUST go through the Chinese Embassy.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You started the thread with the statement "Chinese visa for a minor" and there a lot of factors you did not bother to initially supply...

Fact: It is the Chinese Embassy which issues Visas for China. No one else can do it...

Thanks for all the attempts to help. Really. Even those which were condescending were still someone thinking they were helping.

Until you go through the process, you really don't know how frustrating this is.

I am SOOOO sorry I didn't lay out every little detail about our personal plans when I first posted my question. The upshot is that we need a visa for a minor who is not traveling with her parents. I would have loved to have heard from someone who had gone through the process.

The Chinese embassy (or counselates, depending on which state you live in) are the only ones who can issue a visa. You must appear in person unless you hire a third party company who will take your paperwork and present it for you.

The Chinese embassy website did not specify what to do in our situation. After three days, I have yet been able to reach anyone there who can help me. We checked with several different visa companies and were told different things by each. You have to include a form signed by the parents, no such form is needed, parents have to have a passport, no passport needed but a drivers license will do, send in the child's original birth certificate, or just a photocopy is fine and the condractions go one and on and one. We have received so much conflicting information it is making my head spin.

Anyway, it is obvious that there is no one here who has gone through this process, so I will search for concrete answers elsewhere.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:45 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,555,030 times
Embassies do not issue visas. Consular offices to. There is a consulate in the embassy, but there are also several other Chinese consulates scattered around the country. Start phoning them until you get someone who can give you an answer. If you don't get anywhere in a couple of days, go to one of the private sector visa services, and pay them the commission which might be about fifty bucks. That's what they do. I bet they will answer the phone with any questions you have. just google /visas/. One thing that will definitely be required is a notarized letter from both parents giving permission to travel.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-14-2012 at 03:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel