Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 01:52 PM

3,009 posts, read 1,780,265 times

Advertisements

We live about 6 hours from the Gulf of Mexico, my family and my sisters family go down to Panama City Beach every summer. The kids love it, and we love it too. SIpping drinks under the umbrella and taking dips in the ocean and pool. Then out to eat fresh gulf seafood for dinner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 09:05 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,202,474 times
Many people have long, hard days at week all year round, with family obligations at nights and on the weekend.

When the week of paid-time-off these poor minions get comes around, all they want is some place warm, sunny, and by water. All they want to do is drink, eat well, lay on the beach, and maybe get a tan to show off at work. (And buy a corny souvenir)

Old 05-17-2012, 10:08 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,088,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love a nice beach for swimming, just laying about on and all that...but the idea of say going on a vacation just to go to a beach...beaches are nice, but they only excite me if they have something else to offer. E.g. coral reefs to snorkel in, good surf, spectacular scenery. Maybe I take them for granted since I live close to some 'world class' beaches and have been to more beaches, many stunning, than I've had hot dinners.

But often many people's vacations seem centered around having fun in the sun at beaches (often because it's in summer, or else to some tropical destination), and there's often an emphasis on beaches when discussing tourist destinations. That's fine, but it seems the preferred choice.

Well if you look at a map of the world you'll see how many beaches there are...so I think there are far more special and 'spectacular' beaches than we know about. I find overcrowded beach resorts sort of annoying - think Miami Beach, Acapulco, Patong Beach, even the city ones like Bondi Beach. I like beaches and the ocean, but they're only one of the great things to see/experience while travelling, for me at least.
I agree with you about beaches ... When I vacation, I like to sightsee and explore an area.

Maybe those who gravitate towards beachy vacations are those that live in land-locked areas with no nearby beaches or possibly they are into water sports & scuba diving. Others might gravitate because they want to just relax and sit around in the sun surrounded by the ocean.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:51 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,581,781 times
I got a pool installed at my house maybe like 6 years ago...I have not gone to beach at home since we installed it. Not a fan of the beaches, way to crowded for my taste, I can sit around my own pool with no one around, why bother with 1,000+ people if I don't have to??

If I'm evert in Florida, Cali or somewhere on the coast I'll probably spend some time at the beach there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel