Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 07:18 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times

Advertisements

I am taking tomatoes to a friend in the USVI. I won't have a problem taking them on board the ship, but I don't know about getting them through airport security. Since PR is part of the US, can I take them in my carry on or do I have to "smuggle" them through in my packed bag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 05:33 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Bring them in your carry on and declare them. Be prepared to spend extra time--the customs agent might need to call an ag inspector, and that person might be in a different building.

If you carry them on and declare them, the worst thing that can happen is that they take them from you.

If you check them and don't declare them, they could consider that smuggling and the fines are steep.

PS--Even travel with produce between some states without inspection is illegal. You can't bring produce into HI, FL, or CA without inspection.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:41 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
annerk is correct. Read these regulations, they will apply to Puerto Rico as well.
Bringing Agricultural Products Into the United States - CBP.gov

Old 09-24-2011, 06:12 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,648 times
check that they don't consider them to be 'liquid' I had pre made fondue cheese taken off me because they decided it was 'liquid'......

Old 09-24-2011, 10:25 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you check them and don't declare them, they could consider that smuggling and the fines are steep.
Yup.

Absolutely not worth it for a few vegetables.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:16 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
There's nothing I can find about going from the MAINLAND US to PR. It's all about IMPORT. There's no customs since it's not international travel. We've decided to just wing it. There's no link I can find about taking something from the US to a territory, only about coming in. Nothing on that link above says about going OUT and I already read it. I have searched everywhere but can't find anything. There's a short list of prohibited fruit to bring out of PR to the mainland but nothing about going there.
So we're going to hope for the best.

Thanks anyway.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
There's nothing I can find about going from the MAINLAND US to PR. It's all about IMPORT. There's no customs since it's not international travel. We've decided to just wing it. There's no link I can find about taking something from the US to a territory, only about coming in. Nothing on that link above says about going OUT and I already read it. I have searched everywhere but can't find anything. There's a short list of prohibited fruit to bring out of PR to the mainland but nothing about going there.
So we're going to hope for the best.

Thanks anyway.
Actually customs and immigration are two different animals, and I've seen customs with dogs in PR. And I can tell you that you might not see them, but in FL, CA, and HI there are dogs working non-stop in the baggage areas behind the scenes, and they aren't just looking for drugs, they are also looking for produce. I would be surprised if PR doesn't also utilize them.

By the way, tomatoes are fine in carry on. They are not considered a liquid.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:06 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Say you are going to eat them. Throw some crackers and cheese in the bag as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel