Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:34 AM

28,123 posts, read 64,089,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
"What happens in your case if you accidentally pay more than the amount due? I've done that a couple of times (fat fingers when phone banking, or misread a 5 for an 8)."

Hasn't happened so far, their electronic payment system won't accept anything larger than the outstanding balance. There may be an incidence of a previously charged item being returned and a credit issued but thats the only situation where an overage may occur.
I've never had an overpayment rejected...

Several times before going overseas for an extended period for work I have called to get my actual balance as opposed to my statement balance and sent in a check for the full amount which sometimes was much more than the total statement balance.

My check is always cashed...

One time, I knew I had to pay a bill in Europe so I just added the amount plus 5% to cover the exchange fee and no problem...

I have never make an electronic payment... so can't comment on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 05:36 AM

2 posts, read 1,451 times
I have recently visited London with my family to London and i found that its a nice place because London because it is best to visit in November and you can even find some good places which your mother would definitely love to see.You can find best hotels with royal accommodation.If you have a good budget try some boutique hotels,we stayed at The Sumner and The Sumner has the intimate charm of an elegant hotel and if you need some more info or need any help on this one.Do ask me your questions.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:26 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,452,213 times
It depends on what interests you.
60 isn't old, I can easily see it from where I sit and type this.
I travel throughout Europe at least 40 weekends/year. We are not limited in what we can do.

What do the two of you like to do? That will set the stage for where you would prefer visiting and what you'll be doing. What type of weather, etc.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:53 PM

16,086 posts, read 41,373,722 times
Once went to Vienna and Prague at Thanksgiving - found a local restaurant in Prague owned by a Dallas ex-patriate who told us where to go watch the Cowboys football game later.

Another advantage to going to Europe in late November are the Christmas markets - which can be magical:

Calendar - Schönbrunn Palace | Vienna | Austria (http://www.schoenbrunn.at/en/calendar/date/12-2010/event/59-8-1290207600-1293318000-36000-75600.html - broken link)

Christmas Markets in Prague - Prague Christmas Markets 2011

I've also attended them in Stockholm Old Town and a few other places - be sure to get some hot wine!

Old 09-02-2011, 08:58 AM

5 posts, read 10,737 times
Bavaria (Southern Germany) if you want to have a good time. Nuremburg is a great city to visit during the winter time and tickets are reasonable on Lufthansa into Munich. Rothenberg is a great historical city on the Romantic Road. Germany is always a good starting point for first time Europe travelers. Prague and Rome will be fast paced and could be hard for your mother. Southern Germany is very relaxed and laid back, plus its clean!!

Old 09-02-2011, 03:24 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,452,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear64 View Post
Bavaria (Southern Germany) if you want to have a good time. Nuremburg is a great city to visit during the winter time and tickets are reasonable on Lufthansa into Munich. Rothenberg is a great historical city on the Romantic Road. Germany is always a good starting point for first time Europe travelers. Prague and Rome will be fast paced and could be hard for your mother. Southern Germany is very relaxed and laid back, plus its clean!!
I'm almost 60 and neither Rome nor Prague are too fast paced for me.
Holy moley, we're older, not decrepit. I live about 2 hours from Prague and travel there every month or so. Prague could be very cold at that time of year but is a beautiful city.

I probably travel more than 80% of the people decades younger than me.

Last winter, you couldn't travel in Bavaria because of the snow. US military facilities closed because of the snowfall.

It doesn't matter where you go, read up on it, figure out what you'd like to do and do it.

The holiday markets are crowded and fun. Op, if you like, I can email you a list of links I use for accommodations.

Go to the library and pick up a DK Western Europe book. They're delightfully easy to use, give some very good descriptions of museums and sites along the way. Rick Steves is also good for beginner travelers.

You might want to consider Dresden for classical music and dance as well as a good christmas market. There's a small woodcarving town, Seiffen, not too far from Dresden. It's also got a world class museum.

I'm off to Ireland in the morning but will have email on and off through the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel