Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:06 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,035,472 times

Advertisements

US adult are good for 10yrs, Last time i check it was $130/us for new $90/us for renewal Youth (up to 16) are good for 5 years, I think they costl less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 09:36 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,568,539 times
UK are 10 years too, but my last 3 only lasted on average 2 years..... so its an expensive accessory to travel.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:56 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,877,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
the US passport office does require "a neutral facial expression and both eyes open" so you were lucky. Passport Photo Requirements
Uhuh, until you look at all the examples and see a few of them defitively with a smile on their face ...

Old 08-05-2011, 10:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,762,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
We had our renewal passports done at the Post Office where we turned in our paperwork. We were told NOT to smile. However, we had our enhanced driver licenses done at the DMV and they encourage smiling.[They are good for land or boat travel to Canada and a few other places; not flying] The reason for the difference? Who knows? Go figure. At least both look like us, smile or not.
We are told to not smile for our drivers licenses.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:26 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,120,104 times
A couple passport ago, here was my experience.

Get to Walgreens, have photo take, smiling.

Take photo to passport office.

Told they took it from too far, my face is too small.

Return to Walgreens.

Have photo taken again, not smiling.

Return to passport office, now face is too large in photo.

Return to Walgreens.

Photo taken again, looking like I'm about to murder someone.

Return to passport office, apply for passport.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:45 PM

44,661 posts, read 61,743,803 times
Elina is correct, no teeth smiling. We were told not to smile when we had ours taken. US passports are good for I believe 10 years.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:22 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,877,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
We were told not to smile when we had ours taken.
Whatever... but the attached pic is a sample from the *official* guide:
Photo Examples

If those are NOT teeth, I do not know what teeth look like ...

When we needed new passports, I took the pics my self at home,
used *their* official photo tool, and used those pics.
We both smiled on those pics with our teeth visible,
but NOT as much as some *models* do, when their smile almost looks like a horse smile !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Passport photos-teeth.jpg   Passport photos-horsesmile.jpg  

Last edited by irman; 08-06-2011 at 06:30 PM..

Old 08-06-2011, 08:52 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,735,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Whatever... but the attached pic is a sample from the *official* guide:
Photo Examples

If those are NOT teeth, I do not know what teeth look like ...

When we needed new passports, I took the pics my self at home,
used *their* official photo tool, and used those pics.
We both smiled on those pics with our teeth visible,
but NOT as much as some *models* do, when their smile almost looks like a horse smile !!!
It's confusing because that website does talk about a "neutral expression". Maybe they need to update their photos because I remember those from the several years of applying for that green card lottery of yours.

The Aussie site is more clear, talking about a "neutral expression with your mouth closed". Some of the approved samples show people with a slightly bemused look on their face but no teeth displaying, others are positively stern ...

https://www.passports.gov.au/web/req...ts/photos.aspx

Even babies have to shut their mouths - imagine that photo session for the parents!

Old 08-07-2011, 12:39 AM

44,661 posts, read 61,743,803 times
US passports may allow you to crack a smile with teeth showing, but many foreign countries will not accept a US passport with any sort of smile or teeth showing. I believe most passport photographers are explained about this and that's the reason they tell you not to smile. And getting a passport is the reason for your travel to foreign countries, therefore it behooves you to follow the accepted universal rules for passport photos. You surely don't want any problems entering a foreign country with a unacceptable passport.

This site explains it fully.
The passport photo blog by ePassportPhoto.com - The world's only blog dedicated to passport photos around the world.

Teeth should not be visible in the photographs as this will affect the biometric scanning and recognition of the photographs.

Biometrics is a technology that more and more countries are using to make, counterfeiting of passports almost impossible and to allow for automated authentication of the passports and recording of the passport holder’s arrivals and departures. A biometric passport is one that adds a remotely readable computer chip to the traditional passport booklet so that it becomes a kind of smartcard. The computer chip stores a great deal of information, but for identification purposes the most important is a digital image of the passport holder. Using this, digital image facial recognition software can be used to verify the identity of the person carrying the passport with a far greater degree of certainty than traditional visual comparison.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:45 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,680,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
It is like going back to the time when photographs were a new thing. No one smiled in those either. I am not sure what the purpose of it really is.
Useless little tidbit, but the reason people didn't smile back then is because it took a long time to expose those old pictures. It wasn't instant like it is today, so they had to stand there for a long time and smiling would have been annoying. Just had to mention that! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel