Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,769 posts, read 58,219,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And he's a guy. Based on the user name and post, I think the OP is at best a teenage girl who doesn't seem very streetwise at all. Definitely not someone who should be hitching across the US.
Agreed, (perceived female). One of my friends did that (circa 1970's) she ended up being a 'captive slave' to the trucking industry for several years. Didn't sound too nice. She got pretty messed up.

I think there are some safer options. There is a 'ride-pool' on internet, similar to 'couchsurfing' (somewhat 'vetted' travel partners). SF is a great place for the young and restless, but be careful (I went there a lot when in teens, and continue a generation later). Tons of fun and free, but I enjoy MSP too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 07:49 PM

115 posts, read 195,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I think the OP is at best a teenage girl who doesn't seem very streetwise at all. Definitely not someone who should be hitching across the US.
Since it's not my place to judge, I am going to let that comment go But since it was said, I can handle myself very well on my own thanks! I may be a girl, but please don't let that fool you!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:04 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,046,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontCallMeLizzy View Post
Since it's not my place to judge, I am going to let that comment go But since it was said, I can handle myself very well on my own thanks! I may be a girl, but please don't let that fool you!
Sorry but you sound very naive in your OP ... If you were streetwise, you would not really have the need to ask about "precautions" and "things to be aware of" ...

Also, do you really want to risk being a statistic ... I consider myself to be very streetwise but I would never hitchhike ... Too many perverts out there ... If you think nothing could ever happen to you, then you are naive....

Quote:
I'm thinking of hitchhiking from where I live in Minnesota to San Francisco Bay Area. I know someone a few people in the area. I don't have a car, but I've always wanted to try walking that distance my whole life. Any suggestions of precautions, and advice? Anyone done anything like this recently? What are best and fastest routes? What are things I should look out for? Things I need to be aware of? All kinds of things like that. My dad is thinking of buying me a small truck but I dont yet have my license

Old 08-08-2011, 03:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,237,514 times
Quote:
This is a really BAD idea.

In the 60's hitching was very common. I cannot begin to list the horror stories I heard from women and men. And the country certainly hasn't gotten safer since the 60's.

There's a reason it's not popular anymore. It isn't safe. Period.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:19 AM

3,487 posts, read 9,434,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Sorry but you sound very naive in your OP ... If you were streetwise, you would not really have the need to ask about "precautions" and "things to be aware of" ...

Also, do you really want to risk being a statistic ... I consider myself to be very streetwise but I would never hitchhike ... Too many perverts out there ... If you think nothing could ever happen to you, then you are naive....
I completely agree. I am a female and have traveled extensively by myself, to some of the world's biggest cities and in isolated, less populated areas. I consider myself street smart and keep my wits about me...and not a chance in hell would I contemplate hitchhiking. Honestly, I am horrified that you would even contemplate going this route. If you don't have a car, get yourself a bus ticket or a train ticket and see the country that way.

Riding alone in cars or trucks with strange men is just plain stupid. If you can't see that, then you really have zero business traveling on your own because common sense is a necessity when traveling.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:18 PM

23,267 posts, read 29,118,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Too many crazy folks out there to even risk it especially if you are female.
And here we have a 61YO woman attempting to swim from Cuba to the Florida Keys. And these tough police women today and women in the military.

It's a fact: Women are stronger than men!

So why the sexist comment!!!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:43 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,046,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And here we have a 61YO woman attempting to swim from Cuba to the Florida Keys. And these tough police women today and women in the military.

It's a fact: Women are stronger than men!

So why the sexist comment!!!
In case you did not notice, I am a woman and I'm definitely NOT stronger than most guys. Besides, when you are in a stranger's vehicle, you are placing yourself at their mercy as they would have the upper hand.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:22 PM

981 posts, read 1,623,294 times
Stop acting like hitchhiking will only end up in death, mutilation, or sexual assault. Some of you people act as though you have never set foot outside of your house and have only ever heard mommy's description of a dangerous world out there.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 978 times
I hitched from Homer, Alaska to Haines then from Reno to St Louis back in 1988. It was a great experience but you really need to learn how to pay attention to that voice in your head that tells you something is not a good idea.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,969,848 times
This is not 1965.. this just isn't logical.. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel