Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:07 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I'm 37 years old and wanted to know if anyone my age (or older) has ever stayed in any? I thought they were mainly for younger people, but not sure. Any complaints or praises?
To be honest, at all the hostels I've stayed at (two in Mexico, two in Spain, and one in NYC), most of the other guests were between 18 and 25 years old. I steered clear of "party hostels" but I imagine they would be skewed even more to the young bucks. However, in most of them I remember older guests - even guests who looked like they were over 60. The weird thing is after 30 or so, the demographic (from my VERY limited experience) seems to be even between age groups.

Some hostels do not accept any guests over the age of 30 or 26 (traditional hostels exercised this type of age discrimination), but this is becoming as rare as mandatory chores - which is to say, almost non-existent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Quick question, are they clean?
Hostels differ about as much as hotels. Review sites such as Hostels Worldwide - Online Hostel Bookings, Ratings and Reviews and others should clue you in.

Some disadvantages cited by other posters include:

* Curfew time and lock out - This varies immensely between hostels. Some have no curfew or lock out. Most I've stayed at do not lock you out, and only a few have had curfews.
* Snorers - DEFINITELY a problem. You might have one in your room, might have two, might have four - in any case, 1 is enough to disrupt your sleep. My #1 suggestion is BRING EARBUDS! Or better yet, noise-cancelling headphones (you'd think they'd have to have other uses than in planes - and snoring is FAR more annoying than jet noise, which is a constant din easily tuned out). Of course, this can be a problem if you're traveling between hotels with a group of friends or family too.
* Lack of privacy - One hostel I was at did an excellent job of maintaining some privacy by a strategic placement of bunks, others don't. Of course, you'll have to lug all of your stuff to the shower, which becomes annoying. Some (they tell me this is particularly an issue at party hostels) shameless drunk people will have sex in the dorm room. However, I've never witnessed that.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:31 AM

33 posts, read 57,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
How do you all feel about safety issues at hostels? That would be the biggest thing that would worry me. You're in a room with possibly 10 strangers from around the world. Obviously most hostels have lockers to prevent theft, but what about physical safety while you're sleeping? I guess I'd be paranoid that some violent sociopath ended up in my room.
I'd definitely lock up my stuff, but I think you might have a higher chance of being attacked by a sociopath while out eating dinner in a restaurant or grocery shopping in your home town. I've not yet run into any sociopaths in hostels, just students, international travelers, and hard working people who want to travel but don't have unlimited funds. That's my experience.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:04 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,015,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak Blak View Post
I'd definitely lock up my stuff, but I think you might have a higher chance of being attacked by a sociopath while out eating dinner in a restaurant or grocery shopping in your home town. I've not yet run into any sociopaths in hostels, just students, international travelers, and hard working people who want to travel but don't have unlimited funds. That's my experience.
Of course we could run into sociopaths anywhere but what concerns me the most about the potential of sharing a room is when you are asleep and left vulnerable in a hostel room with travelers with less than good intentions.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Of course we could run into sociopaths anywhere but what concerns me the most about the potential of sharing a room is when you are asleep and left vulnerable in a hostel room with travelers with less than good intentions.
Honestly, I've never been the least concerned about sociopaths sleeping in the same room with me. Murders in hostels are almost unheard of. If it makes you feel any better, some (most?) hostels have female-only rooms.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:29 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,015,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Honestly, I've never been the least concerned about sociopaths sleeping in the same room with me. Murders in hostels are almost unheard of. If it makes you feel any better, some (most?) hostels have female-only rooms.
Female sociopaths can kill other women ... Sorry but saving a few bucks is not worth placing my safety and peace of mind at risk ...

Old 09-10-2011, 11:33 PM

You're only imagining that it is dangerous, just as some imagine that flying in a plane is dangerous, and that disturbs your peace of mind.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:40 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times
Default Backpacker Hotels

My niece owns J's Backpackers in Hamilton, New Zealand. I've visited a couple of times and it's a great place for travelers to call home for a few nights. I'd never hesitate to recommend it to people of any age traveling in New Zealand. See jsbackpackers.co.nz for more information and to get a flavor for their cosy place.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
I'm 37 years old and wanted to know if anyone my age (or older) has ever stayed in any? I thought they were mainly for younger people, but not sure. Any complaints or praises?
Many times, many places. ('older' stays @ hostels). Tho my kids referred to them as "Foster-homes-for-college-kids"

A VERY nice private hostel in the Black Hills of SD ... like a 'dream-come-true'
Main Street Manor Hostel, Lead South Dakota

Also LOVE Ft Mason hostel for THE BEST SF experience. (often more older than younger folks there).

YMMV

Old 09-12-2011, 10:13 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Female sociopaths can kill other women ... Sorry but saving a few bucks is not worth placing my safety and peace of mind at risk ...
It's not good to live a life of fear...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel