Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 04:07 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,886,975 times

Advertisements

combat nausea while waiting for a flight?

generally i am a good flyer and have adjusted well and have very minimal difficulty with nausea (except for the inner ear intermittent queasiness) or turbulence. I began flying in 2008 after a 30 year break and have done well on all flights except one

my last flight back to NY from Atl was awful. it was triggered by a girl at the place where i had breakfast at the airport who said she just recovered from a 5 day stomach virus( i get easily upset when i hear about stomach viruses and people getting sick)

i had too big a breakfast(too much bacon) to begin with, and maybe too much coffee(acid reflux)

the stench in the men's room in the secured boarding area made me feel ill and a passenger in a wheelchair emitted a bad smell so bad that i started to dry heave in the accordion that connects the boarding area to the plane. other passengers looked revolted watching me and the flight attendant(very cold to me) and captain (cool and understanding) spoke to me and i explained it was just a bad odor and nerves, that i was not ill. luckily the flight was OK and made better by having no one sitting next to me

still on txhe flight i felt a little more queasy than i usually was and i didn't look out the window on approach (normally my favorite pasttime)

i was probably constipated that day anyway because when i got home i had to go bad

so, is there anything i can do this time to ensure no Gi drama on these flights? i am under a lot of stress lately with my job and mom dying (after she goes i will no longer have parents which will be awful)

i'm ready to just fly on an empty stomach with only decaf coffee if i have to but i do like my eggs and home fries

it's not fear of doom on the flight it has more to do with feeling trapped next to the window seat if i have to go to the bathroom (which is why i always change my seat to an aisle so i can get out easy)

any ideas? don't eat too much the nite before, no coffee, anything good for the Gi tract?

tho i rarely if ever actually get sick, i am a very nausea prone person and can get nauseous at the drop of a hat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 09:11 AM

14,994 posts, read 24,101,610 times
It sounds like an issue with nerves or sense overstimulation (odors, etc), and thus phycological rather than physiological. I would address the issue of overstimulation - bring an ipod to shut out the environment, and/or a good book. You can wear a face mask (some people do on flights - but you might get strange stares)....and as a last resort get some valium or xanax from your local Dr. Feelgood.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:00 PM

737 posts, read 2,600,030 times
Rub some Vicks or other menthol product under your nose, if you can tolerate that it should help mask any other odors.

When we travel w/our pets, no food for a min. of 12 hours prior and very little water and stopping water 6 hours prior (amazingly, they still eliminate something outside of the airport). So, no discomfort to the pet other than being hungry and thirsty which is better than a mess or discomfort to the pet.

I've used dramamine, the chew tablet which has a fruity odor. That is in addition to .5 mil. of xanax.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:09 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,356,062 times
I agree with a lot of the above .... try to get some ginger in your sytem ... find a scent that works for you (like vicks) that you can rub on your upper lip to ensure a pleasant smell (there are a variety of essential oils, aftershave lotions, etc that are very pleasant) and then just try and tune out

I get a little bit of travel anxiety (it's more of a rush and line aversion thing though) - but it's best to take a breath, realize that everything is normal and then try and block out the sea of humanity around you ...... browse some of the nicer stores, sit in a less crowded gate area and only migrate to your gate before the flight boards, avoid eating & drinking anything that could unsettle you, etc

Old 07-18-2011, 04:38 PM

Default you're right

i go in a Borders & Books and buy Mad magazine or Rolling Stone. I hate the LaGuardia security line it's too tight and not enough room but the Atlanta security is great thanks for the advice

Old 07-18-2011, 04:41 PM

Default xanax was offered to me

by a doctor for my 2008 flight (1st one since '78) but i turned it down. i really didn't need it. last flight definitely was psychological in nature

Old 07-21-2011, 10:58 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,064,146 times
Note to self...never, ever eat a personal pan pizza before getting on a turbo prop!

Watch the greasy food. Take Benadryl. Try to sleep during takeoff. Don't read during takeoff or landing or turbulence. Open the fan all the way and have it blow on your face when you feel queazy.

Can you tell I get a lot of motion sickness? A kid in front of me projectile barfed once before takeoff. I thought I was going to be next. The flight attendent was nice enough to move me after takeoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel