Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 02:48 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,975,823 times

Advertisements

I have found that pretty much everyone in my town is boring and doesn't like to travel, or when they do they just want to do stupid things (like go shopping at an outlet mall when they are in Disney World.) So while I did travel alone and enjoyed it, I am curious if there is such a thing as a club or group to join that travels to places around the US or around the world. I have heard of singles tours and I'm not interested in something where the people are trying to hook up, just people who like to travel.

If I am being clear as mud please say so and I will try to explain better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 04:14 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,038,966 times
That sounds like an awesome concept as I'm in the same boat ... Actually my friends love traveling but they either don't have the luxury of time or money to go with me so I'm usually traveling solo ... Have you looked into tour groups?

Old 07-17-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
That sounds like an awesome concept as I'm in the same boat ... Actually my friends love traveling but they either don't have the luxury of time or money to go with me so I'm usually traveling solo ... Have you looked into tour groups?
Where do you get information about tour groups? I'm a little leery about those since you risk the high-maintenance people but I suppose in Wyoming beggars can't be choosers.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:29 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,038,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Where do you get information about tour groups? I'm a little leery about those since you risk the high-maintenance people but I suppose in Wyoming beggars can't be choosers.
That I don't know as I'm just leery about traveling with a group of strangers to begin with. Maybe research different tour groups and look at the reviews. One of my major issues with tour groups is does the tour operator allow sufficient time to explore an area or are you just stuck on a bus for hours on end? That's what happened during a day trip in Miami from Orlando a few years back.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:36 PM

672 posts, read 2,115,707 times
I've worked with a few people who travel with Friendship Force. They have great stories of really getting to know the locals and getting to visit the out of the way places that the locals love.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
That I don't know as I'm just leery about traveling with a group of strangers to begin with. Maybe research different tour groups and look at the reviews. One of my major issues with tour groups is does the tour operator allow sufficient time to explore an area or are you just stuck on a bus for hours on end? That's what happened during a day trip in Miami from Orlando a few years back.
I agree that you would want to see if you are on a bus for too long. I guess I just want to avoid singles groups more than anything. The idea of going someplace like a cruise to try to hook up is so unappealing to me.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
Have you ever take just a plain old tour?They are not filled with people wanting to put the make on you.But then again some will want to shop at times ;so perhaps your not a good fit really and would spoil the tour group.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Have you ever take just a plain old tour?They are not filled with people wanting to put the make on you.But then again some will want to shop at times ;so perhaps your not a good fit really and would spoil the tour group.
No, I have not been on a plain old tour. I don't mind some shopping and I do it myself a bit, but if you are in Disney World I think it is stupid to not go to a theme park and shop at an outlet mall when we have a perfectly good one about two hours away. You can shop at the theme parks while taking breaks from going on rides.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:31 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,567,646 times
If you have another interest ie photography, wine, food, then maybe there are groups where they incorporate such. I did a tour once hated it and said I wouldn't do one again but I have recently been looking at the Nat Geographic photography ones and could be swayed. Intrepid are not a bad tour company to look at if you do decide to try one. they have different categories of tour , adventure, baxic, premium etc. they cram lots of history, culture, local food and sights in rather than shopping and fast-food. They also try to work with individuals and small local businesses rather than international ones and chains which is good if you are going to S America etc

Old 07-18-2011, 09:40 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,134,295 times
I've seen some travel groups on Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup. Some are more active than others. Worth a try and happy travels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel