Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 02:53 PM

13,392 posts, read 45,155,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
What? Bluewillow, one of the few times I dont believe you
haha
Well I am just going on what I myself have witnessed, and I do live here in the States, not in Europe or Asia or wherever. So perhaps I am ignorant.

I've heard that "greatest country in the world" statement ad nauseum here in the States, but have not come across it when traveling out of the country or when surfing the net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 03:05 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,667,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanishGuy View Post
I just think that american are more "open". Most americans ive seen, behave in public like europeans would behave at home.
That's an incredibly true and perceptive comment. Well said!

It actually used to bother me but I've had to learn that I can't change other people. All I can do is behave and be respectful myself. After all, I may be an American but I don't represent all Americans, just as the rowdy and loud ones don't represent me. Those who assume I'm like that are the ones in the wrong and the ones missing out.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:53 AM

16,391 posts, read 31,065,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
haha
Well I am just going on what I myself have witnessed, and I do live here in the States, not in Europe or Asia or wherever. So perhaps I am ignorant.

I've heard that "greatest country in the world" statement ad nauseum here in the States, but have not come across it when traveling out of the country or when surfing the net.
Interesting, I've noticed it from most countries either in my travels, by tourists traveling in my city or online from the people from Europe and Latin America, people from Asia tend to not be as nationalistic from what I've seen, although you do notice them making their snide remarks every once in a while too

Old 06-12-2011, 06:03 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,155,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
or online from the people from Europe and Latin America..... people from Asia tend to not be as nationalistic from what I've seen
Got any links for the online braggadocio?

Actually, now that you mention Asia, I've heard of some funky "no gaijin" stuff in Japan, but that's not the same thing as declaring your country the greatest in the world.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:46 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,065,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Got any links for the online braggadocio?
Nah, its just from random conversations I have with people from language exchange websites (the people from online)

Old 06-12-2011, 01:21 PM

4 posts, read 5,737 times
Default No matter what nationally tourist are annoying

in general usually especially if you live in the particular area or state. I have seen Non-American tourist that have been loud and obnoxious

Old 06-13-2011, 02:15 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,891,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautyqueen101 View Post
in general usually especially if you live in the particular area or state. I have seen Non-American tourist that have been loud and obnoxious
Well this is kind of funny. I was telling earlier about how when we were traveling thru France, we noticed that people whisper when they're out and we did that too and never were served any of the famed French rudeness--I don't know if that's why but we were there a month and everyone was delightful and I loved how when we sat down to eat and they would walk by and say in a conspiratorial tone--"Bon appetit!"

But within a year of getting back, I was out shopping one day and there were these women who were the loudest women I'd ever seen out shopping. They were practically yelling and people kept looking at them. Funny thing is, they were yelling in French. It's possible that they were from another french speaking country as I don't know it well enough to pick out an accent.

Yes, I've seen rudeness from everywhere so won't pick on any nationality b/c one of the rudest was a Polish woman who kept angrily elbowing me in the eye on a tight bus ride one day. No telling what her problem was but when I saw her take off w/o her luggage I didn't even bother to go catch her.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:04 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,688,676 times
Someone believing that their country is the best in the world would only bother someone who thinks their own country is inferior.
But anyway, the stereotyping of nationalities is pretty tired and boring. Especially when it's clear that some have "only" witnessed the bad apple tourists and missed the overwhelming majority of good tourists around them.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:59 AM

170 posts, read 400,710 times

YouTube - ‪Rude Americans - Do you speak English?‬‏

Old 07-02-2011, 11:03 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,916,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I was just at a beach resort in a country that sees few American visitors. The beach was peaceful and lovely until one afternoon a group of four Americans (about 50-ish years old) showed up. They were speaking so loudly to each other for an hour or two while in the water that it made me cringe. We all heard about the couple's house being broken into, their thoughts on flying post-9/11 (I kid you not) and other musings that no one cared about except them.

They were the epitome of the loud boorish American stereotype. Mind you, they are the exception, not the rule, but as an American who travels abroad, it still embarrasses me that 9 times out of 10, the loud obnoxious person is an American.
And then there are Americans like me who will tell them to keep it down because no one cares to hear their prattle.

Sometimes it works...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel