Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:35 AM

415 posts, read 449,861 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of going to Paris and go to other cities form there. The reason for this is that Paris is a major city and I can fly to other destinations cheaply because the cheap airlines fly from Paris. This would have worked with any other major city like Berlin, too, but I could take the train from Paris to London. That's why I thought Paris is better. I was thinking about Madrid, London ( from there maybe to Ireland), Amsterdam and Belgium. Has somebody done this before? One day or two in each city is fine. Maybe weekend in London and Madrid. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 10:31 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Brussels is on the way to Amsterdam.
They're both lovely cities.

How long will you be traveling?

Old 04-14-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Brussels is on the way to Amsterdam.
They're both lovely cities.

How long will you be traveling?

I'll be in Europe 3.5 weeks, but for that particular trip - maybe 7 days?

Old 04-14-2011, 02:43 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Instead of flying, consider buying a Eurail pass. It will give you more flexibility, it is not necessarily much more expensive and train can be just as quick as flying. Consider that trains go city center to city center so you don't have the time and expense of getting out to the airports.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Instead of flying, consider buying a Eurail pass. It will give you more flexibility, it is not necessarily much more expensive and train can be just as quick as flying. Consider that trains go city center to city center so you don't have the time and expense of getting out to the airports.
True, but not to Madrid. And, I think I would get easier to Madrid from France than from Germany.

Last edited by Wallbanger; 04-14-2011 at 04:40 PM..

Old 04-14-2011, 11:57 PM

737 posts, read 2,588,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
I'll be in Europe 3.5 weeks, but for that particular trip - maybe 7 days?
For 7 days; pick one city that you can enjoy. For the 3.5 weeks, you can up your quota as far as your pocketbook will take you. The trains are a good plan, either way. So if you fly into Paris and train to Lyon for lunch, you'd be back in time for a night cap.

Brussels also has some great deals for flying and just train into Paris... or wherever. Bon Voyage!

Old 04-15-2011, 02:51 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,876,278 times
I warn you not to ride the train (Talgo) from Paris to Madrid : first, it's more expensive (much more!) than flying, and besides, it's a 20-hour journey : the train leaves Paris (Austerlitz station)
at 8 pm, -there are (very expensive) sleeping cars-, and you arrive at Madrid (Atocha station) at D+1 early afternoon!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
True, but not to Madrid. And, I think I would get easier to Madrid from France than from Germany.
Obviously, some destinations are better served by flying because of the distance and, from Paris, Madrid is one of them. I would say that, in Europe, any distance up to around 500 miles or 800k is usually better served by train.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
For 7 days; pick one city that you can enjoy. For the 3.5 weeks, you can up your quota as far as your pocketbook will take you. The trains are a good plan, either way. So if you fly into Paris and train to Lyon for lunch, you'd be back in time for a night cap.

Brussels also has some great deals for flying and just train into Paris... or wherever. Bon Voyage!
Nah. I've been to Paris, London, Madrid already. I just want to go again. I don't have to spend a week there Forget Madrid, though. Booked a flight from Berlin to Madrid. I'll cover the other cities when I'm in Paris.. which reminds me.. the high speed train is only between Paris and London, right? I think I can not get to Amsterdam ( or Brussels ) with that train, but I could do it from London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I warn you not to ride the train (Talgo) from Paris to Madrid : first, it's more expensive (much more!) than flying, and besides, it's a 20-hour journey : the train leaves Paris (Austerlitz station)
at 8 pm, -there are (very expensive) sleeping cars-, and you arrive at Madrid (Atocha station) at D+1 early afternoon!
Thanks! I figured. I'll fly from Berlin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Obviously, some destinations are better served by flying because of the distance and, from Paris, Madrid is one of them. I would say that, in Europe, any distance up to around 500 miles or 800k is usually better served by train.
Yes, true that. The high speed train between Paris and London is 80 Euros one way. At least that's what it told me. Flying would probably be cheaper

Old 04-15-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Nah. I've been to Paris, London, Madrid already. I just want to go again. I don't have to spend a week there Forget Madrid, though. Booked a flight from Berlin to Madrid. I'll cover the other cities when I'm in Paris.. which reminds me.. the high speed train is only between Paris and London, right? I think I can not get to Amsterdam ( or Brussels ) with that train, but I could do it from London.

Thanks! I figured. I'll fly from Berlin!

Yes, true that. The high speed train between Paris and London is 80 Euros one way. At least that's what it told me. Flying would probably be cheaper
It depends ..... how much will it cost you to get from where you are in Paris to the station/airport?

Are you going to central London? If so, it will cost 26 pounds on the Heathrow Express from Heathrow or around 5 pounds on the Underground. But the Underground will take around 90 mins. How much is your time worth?

You could go to Gatwick but you still need to pay for a train from there. Luton/Stansted? Same problem.

Depending who you fly with, don't forget to factor in baggage fees and taxes (if not already included).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel