Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2010, 03:19 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,948,611 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anybody has any recommendations for Seoul, I set up my flight to give me a night in Seoul on the way there and on the way back. What should I see to get a quick feel of the city before I take back off? I'll have the full day both there and back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 03:48 PM

211 posts, read 566,692 times
I went to Seoul in January 2009. It's a very vibrant and busy city. Go to the top of Seoul Tower. It's nice at night with all the lights of Seoul going in every direction. I also took a cruise on the Han River. I think it's really for commuters, sorta like a ferry. It goes in a circular path so you can get off back where you got on. Other than that, I just saw a few temples and went shopping.

Enjoy your time there,
Scott

Old 07-04-2010, 06:36 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,507,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Just wondering if anybody has any recommendations for Seoul, I set up my flight to give me a night in Seoul on the way there and on the way back. What should I see to get a quick feel of the city before I take back off? I'll have the full day both there and back.
How long exactly are you staying in seoul? Seouls main airport is in Incheon, a city next to seoul. You will need to allow at least 1.5 to 2 hours to get from Incheon airport into seoul and to check into your hotel etc. Gimpo the cities other main airport is much closer

So if you only have an overnight layer over of say 12 hours, and assuming you have to check in 2 hours before the flight your only going to have around 6 hours to explore the city.

I travel to seoul regularly and love the place! let me know exactly how long you will have in the city, and weather you will be their during daylight hours or not and i will give you a few suggestions.

Have you booked any accomidation? If so what area is it in?
Thanks

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-04-2010 at 06:53 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 12:22 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,948,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
How long exactly are you staying in seoul? Seouls main airport is in Incheon, a city next to seoul. You will need to allow at least 1.5 to 2 hours to get from Incheon airport into seoul and to check into your hotel etc. Gimpo the cities other main airport is much closer

So if you only have an overnight layer over of say 12 hours, and assuming you have to check in 2 hours before the flight your only going to have around 6 hours to explore the city.

I travel to seoul regularly and love the place! let me know exactly how long you will have in the city, and weather you will be their during daylight hours or not and i will give you a few suggestions.

Have you booked any accomidation? If so what area is it in?
Thanks

I'm flying through Korean Air. On my arrival i'll get to ICN at 5am and be departing at 8pm. So 15 hours on day 1.

On my way back, I'll arrive to Seoul at 3:00pm and leave the next day at 3:00 pm.

I dont have accomodation yet, but I will only get it for my return trip. I'll be traveling late november for day one and will be returning mid december.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:59 AM

5,060 posts, read 7,507,454 times
Ok thats good, their was really little point in going to seoul if your only in the country for an overnight 12 hour stay. Points to note

Seoul has an excellent metro system, the best i have ever seen (with no apoligies to London Either) to use it (and you will) you will need a T money card. Ask at the tourist information booth in the airport how to obtain one.

Places of Interest are Namsan Tower (Seoul North Tower) and the surrounding Myeondong area, which is a massive maze of shopping sreets.

Gyengbukgung palace just north of Nasman park, their is also a very interesting folk Museum and the Korean National Museum in the area. You could easily spend a day in that area.

The war museum in itawon is excellent if you are into that sort of thing.

Visit the traditional market in isadong. Or just stroll around the city sampling all the goodies offered by the street food sellers

For accomidation it would be best if you stayed somewhere within the area of seoul/Jongno stations. Thier are loads of hotels/Backpacker hostels in this area and it central to all of the above. Its not bad for nightlife either.

Keep in mind in mid december it could be very cold. When I was their last in mid decmeber last year the daytime tempretures where hovering around -15 to -17 celsius, (around 0 on your scale). I was told it was a record cold snap however and its not normally that cold.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:20 PM

86 posts, read 171,788 times
I spent a few days In Seoul earlier this year, same as you on a stopover on the way to someplace else(SEA). The recomendations danielsa1775 gave pretty much cover everything I did.

I spent a day touring the Gyengbukgung and other historical sights in that area. The market street / area of Isadong is also in this area. enough to see here to fill a full day.

I also spent one evening at the N.Seoul Tower and followed that up with a night in the Myeondong shopping area. Myeondong seemed to be the trendy fashionable place to go for Koreans. Lots of shops, resturants and street food .

Make sure you have cold weather gear. It was snowing when I was there in March and if not snowing a cold rain and wind.

The subway is easy to navigate and will get you everywhere you want to go. Check the Seoul Airport sight to check out how the bus system works to get you to downtown Seoul. You also might want check on tours from the airport that are designed for passengers with long transit times in Korea

Old 07-28-2010, 05:07 AM

4 posts, read 35,802 times
Don't forget to check out Korean Pop Idols, it's one of South Korea's main assets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel