Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:05 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,792,502 times

Advertisements

No matter what the other details.....avoid the international terminal at JFK ALWAYS. Do not connect to anywhere through the JFK international terminal. It is easily the worst international terminal in America with rude staff, dependable delays which will cause you to miss any other connecting flight, and you can be sure that something will always go wrong there.

JFK is the worst suckage of international air transportation on the planet.

You have been warned. Stay away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 10:53 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,518,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofone View Post
I am currently debating between two different transatlantic flights.

Choice #1
leave DC 10pm, arrive Paris 11:30am (5:30am body time)
leave Paris 12:35pm (6:35am body time), arrive Athens 4:50pm (9:50am body time)
Very little time! I wouldn't take it. It’s almost a guaranteed missed connection and continuous headache. Once I made it on the plane, but my baggage didn’t. That’s a pretty tight schedule even in some domestic airports.

Quote:
Assuming all else equal, which would you suggest and why? Do you think it's better to have a 7.5 hour transatlantic flight with a 3 hour flight following, or having a 2 hour domestic flight followed by a 10 hour transatlantic flight? I've done a flight similar to choice #1 before, barely slept on the plane, and I've never done a flight similar to #2.
Given a choice, I'd take 7.5 + 3. 10-hour transatlantic flights used to be quite unpleasant even in the old days; now they're simply unbearable, to me at least. It's nice to get on a long flight in the evening as it's easier to fall asleep.

These days flying makes me sick in general, though. I had some ideas of going to Europe this year myself, but I’m getting headaches reading about this volcano, strikes, and you name it… Another volcano is expected to erupt, btw. The original volcano is now “a known event” – read: you’re not getting any money back with standard insurance, if you have even that. Looks like you can only have some hope if you purchase the “cancel for any reason” plan. I was reading about people who’d gone on a 5-day trip and ended up stranded for additional 9! Sorry for raining on your parade. I shouldn’t have… Hope everything goes OK for you and you have fun in Greece!

Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,569,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Given the Choice i would pick #2,
Option 1 a 65 min connection is Paris is very tight, If not in-valid time connection
Agree! I won't take flights now that have less than a 2 hr layover,unless there is no terminal change involved, I don't have to claim bags and don't have to clear immigration.

I'm not sure how they are putting flights with such short connecting times on single tickets.

Just yesterday my parents almost missed their flight out of Boston. Their bags were checked all the way through from Charlotte to Newcastle in northern England, but they had to exit to go to the BA desk in Boston to collect their boarding cards as US couldn't issue them in Charlotte.
Boston security was a nightmare with the new body scanners and they made it by the skin of their teeth, but only because the guy pushing my Mums wheelchair got them from terminal B to E by taking all the staff short cuts.

If we had realised how huge Logan is or that they would have to get boarding passes never would have booked the flight. Logans website is abissmal regarding transportation/distances and times between terminals.

The Transatlantic flight was late taking off so they missed their connecting flight in London and had to get a later one. Unfortunately their bags were still in Boston when they got to Newcastle.
They were both 90min layovers.

If possible I would always opt for a shorter transatlantic flight. 6-7 hours is OK, but after that I hit a brick wall.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:02 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,569,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
No matter what the other details.....avoid the international terminal at JFK ALWAYS. Do not connect to anywhere through the JFK international terminal. It is easily the worst international terminal in America with rude staff, dependable delays which will cause you to miss any other connecting flight, and you can be sure that something will always go wrong there.

JFK is the worst suckage of international air transportation on the planet.

You have been warned. Stay away.
Sorry- I think Dulles International wins the prize personally. London Heathrow isn't far behind either.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:44 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,219,601 times
I was reading some great information on here.

I'm going to Russia from Miami in about a week and a half. I leave Miami at 4:15 pm on Saturday and arrive in St. Petersburg, Russia at 5 pm Sunday. There is a 3 hr layover in Rome (Sunday at 8 AM).

I liked the suggestion about setting your watch to the time of the country you'll visit. So... I'll have to set Rome first, then switch to Russia as there is another couple of hours difference there.

I've been wondering how I'm going to make it through between body and local sleep and awake activities. I'm not too good at that and I also don't sleep on airplanes. And you said no alcohol?

Old 06-22-2010, 07:10 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,515,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I was reading some great information on here.

I'm going to Russia from Miami in about a week and a half. I leave Miami at 4:15 pm on Saturday and arrive in St. Petersburg, Russia at 5 pm Sunday. There is a 3 hr layover in Rome (Sunday at 8 AM).

I liked the suggestion about setting your watch to the time of the country you'll visit. So... I'll have to set Rome first, then switch to Russia as there is another couple of hours difference there.

I've been wondering how I'm going to make it through between body and local sleep and awake activities. I'm not too good at that and I also don't sleep on airplanes. And you said no alcohol?
Well, a glass of wine (or a beer) with dinner won't hurt and might make the airline food taste better ... just don't overdo it. Set your watch to St. Petersburg time at Miami airport... you're not in Rome long enough for their time zone to be important. Even if you can't sleep on the plane, resting your brain/body does help. Sit back, close your eyes, listen to music, daydream, count sheep... whatever! It's great that you arrive in St. P at 5pm... you'll only need to make yourself stay awake for two or three hours... a brisk walk around the block near your hotel should do the trick!

Enjoy your trip!

Old 06-23-2010, 04:20 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,219,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Well, a glass of wine (or a beer) with dinner won't hurt and might make the airline food taste better ... just don't overdo it. Set your watch to St. Petersburg time at Miami airport... you're not in Rome long enough for their time zone to be important. Even if you can't sleep on the plane, resting your brain/body does help. Sit back, close your eyes, listen to music, daydream, count sheep... whatever! It's great that you arrive in St. P at 5pm... you'll only need to make yourself stay awake for two or three hours... a brisk walk around the block near your hotel should do the trick!

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks. I'm looking forward to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel